Fox's Megyn Kelly on Unique Baby Names

Fox's Megyn Kelly on Unique Baby Names
Photo Credit: Fox News Channel

We caught up with Fox News Channel anchor Megyn Kelly a few weeks after the birth of her baby Edward Yates Brunt (born September 25, 2009).  Given Megyn's own creatively spelled first name, we were curious how she and husband Douglas Brunt came up with their new baby's name.

"Edward is the first name of my father, who died when I was 15. Yates is the middle name of Doug's father, and a family name that's been passed down for generations. We decided to call him Yates because we loved the name (Doug's mother calls Doug's father Yates and that name is a term of endearment in their house). We preferred the name Edward Yates to Yates Edward," Megyn told NameCandy.

And what about her own name?

"’Megyn’ is the spelling on my birth certificate. My parents suspected I would be a boy, and had chosen two potential boy names for me. Turned out they were wrong, and needed a girl name pronto. My mom had first heard the name Megyn a week or so before I was born - while popular today, it really wasn't in the 70's. They both liked it, but hadn't given any thought to spelling it and, on the fly, they went with what turns out to be the Welsh spelling, Megyn. When I was a little girl I hated the non-traditional spelling b/c I wanted the monogrammed mugs, plaques and other things with the name on them - always spelled 'Megan.' Now I like the unusual spelling, and some of our viewers tell me they've actually adopted it for their own little 'Megyns.'"

Can you relate to Megyn's story?  What are some of your personal naming stories?

Comments

October 19, 2009 12:17 PM
By Kelley (not verified)

I'm the same way, as a kid I hated the unusual "e" in my name, but I've grown to love it, and feel it sets me apart.

November 4, 2009 10:43 PM
By Cathi Long (not verified)

We have Megyn Velynda coming on December 18th....We loved the spelling :)

January 26, 2010 4:10 PM
By Rose Marie Courtney (Maiden name) (not verified)

My maiden name has become a very
popular first name. I have never
heard of so many COURTNEY'S
even one in the family. My Godchild
named her daughter Courtney. It
made me feel good to have some
one with my maiden.
This isn't exactly related to
spelling.
The first time I heard it used
was i the Kenedy family but
spelled COURTNAY.
Rose Marie Casale

April 22, 2011 5:11 PM

My son is Conor with one n and it is hard to find personalized Christmas ornaments with this spelling. I get very annoyed when people assume his name is spelled Connor or Conner or Coner.

April 5, 2013 4:17 AM
By Kathya - yes, with an "a" at the end (not verified)

My unusual name - Kathya (Kathia, not Katia)
I have never had a personalized off the shelf item :)
But - I love my name, just not explaining it each time I introduce myself.

August 4, 2014 3:24 AM
By Dora (not verified)

The whole point in finding a name for your child is to pick one that will best suit them in 5, as well as in 50 years. A uniwue name will definitely do this, especially if it has a great story behind it.