Super Bowl Baby Name: Baylen Brees

Everyone's been talking about the big game. In case you missed it, the New Orleans' Saints upset the favored Indianapolis Colts to take home the Super Bowl title in yesterday's big game. The Saints were led to victory by their quarterback, Drew Brees, the game's Most Valuabe Player. In accepting his award, Brees declared that his one-year-old son Baylen had been an inspiration to him over the past year.

Here at NameCandy.com we were immediately swamped with requests to add the name Baylen to our database.  We've got to admit, the name Baylen is new to us, but somehow, it's not unfamiliar. Baylen is a contemporary invention, one that is not that far off stylistically from Braylen and Brayden.  The long a of the first syllable and the ending -en are the two dominant style markings of early-21st century baby boy names. (Think Aidan, Jayden, Caden, Graydon and Hayden).  We're guessing that Drew and wife Brittany, loved the names Brayden and Braylen but thought the similarity to their last name was too much.

What do you think of our theory?  Other thoughts on the name Baylen?

--J.B.

Comments

February 8, 2010 6:15 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

It sounds kind of flimsy, and a bit feminine to me.

February 9, 2010 12:25 AM

Braylen, Jaden, Caden, Faden, Kaylen....GAG, GAG, GAG to these names. They sound made-up and low-brow. Sorry, had to say it.

February 10, 2010 1:30 PM
By TheNewSplendidLady (not verified)

I agree with Zoe!

February 10, 2010 3:53 PM
By Kristin W. (not verified)

It makes me think of Lord of the Rings. In The Hobbit, there's a dwarf named Balen, I think.

February 10, 2010 4:00 PM
By Jakadu (not verified)

While I don't personally like the name Baylen because it's too "made-up", I think it fit stylistically with his parents names, Drew and Brittany. I heard one comment about Drew's name, someone LOVED it because it sounded like the hero right out from the pages of a Romance novel. Have to agree with that!! Not nearly as tough and macho of a name I would associate with a professional football player. AND, even if I don't care for his name...Baylen was too cute up there in his daddy's arms. Go Baylen!!

February 10, 2010 7:29 PM
By Jess (not verified)

low brow is right! I'm more than sick of all the made-up names. Let's get back to the classics, people! They're classic (classy) for a reason.

February 17, 2010 5:48 PM

Although spelled differently, the sound is almost the same as the Spanish name BELÉN, . BELÉN is feminine and pronounced bay-LEN. It is the Spanish form of Bethlehem, the name of the town in Judah where King David and Jesus were born. The town's name was derived via Greek from Hebrew בֵּית לָחֶם (beit lachem) meaning "house of bread".

I do not care for Baylen, which I am assuming is prounced BAY-len.

April 23, 2010 1:11 PM

Baylen has bee my name for the past 20 years and I'm a girl. So not only do I cliam myself as the original Baylen, but I would also lik to declare that it is a girls name! :)

June 5, 2013 1:39 PM

Sounds kind of feminine. It's nice though. It's got that spice there going on. - James Stuckey

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.