Office Baby Name: Cecelia Marie

Yesterday we asked you to guess what the characters Jim and Pam from television's The Office would name their baby (see the full post here).  Today we have an answer:  Cecelia Marie.  Cecelia with an "e" is the less frequently-used spelling of the name than Cecilia with an i.  Regardless, the name is a huge hit among name enthusiasts and a favorite among graduates of Ivy League colleges, according the our own Name Lady. NameCandy's Celebrity Names Database currently lists three celebrity babies named Cecilia. (see them all here)

In terms of the name's history, Cecelia is best known as the patron saint of musicians. And "Cecilia" is also the title of a popular Simon and Garfunkel song.  The name Cecilia has a very steady popularity history in the U.S., consistently ranking between 200 and 400 since the Social Security Adminsitration started tracking baby names back in the 1880s. Cecilia peaked at #205 in the 1900s, bottommed out at #395 in the 1970s, and is currently ranked at #270, with a rising trendline. Interestingly, the spelling Cecelia was more popular in the 1900s than Cecilia ranking at #181. Today the less popular spelling Cecelia ranks only at 756.

What do you think of Jim and Pam's name choice?

(note: an earlier version of this story mis-identified the spelling of the Office baby as Cecilia)

--J.B.

Comments

March 5, 2010 8:59 PM
By emily (not verified)

They spelled it Cecelia, same as our baby! So I love the name but i'm afraid it'll be the next "Emily" hopefully it won't have a long run @ #1

March 5, 2010 9:18 PM
By Lane

Oh man! I wrote a whole long thing last night about the name Cecelia and then realized that the more common spelling was Cecilia so I axed it under the assumption they went with the other version. Cecelia is less popular than Cecilia, but I think I like that spelling better.

I doubt it will be the next Emily, but you picked a winner, definitely.

March 5, 2010 11:53 PM

I have almost the exact same name: Cecily Marie. He even said it rather quickly, so it almost sounded like mine. I'm a huge fan, so it was rather exciting for me! Although I've liked having an uncommon name (Cecily rarely ranks at all) it would be nice if this could increase the popularity for Cecilia's cousin names like mine. At least so people could pronouce it or understand it when I say it, lol.

March 6, 2010 11:57 PM

What's funny about the above posts is that the name comes from her (Pam's) new niece and the babies' mother, her sister, is named Emily!

March 7, 2010 3:34 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

I much prefer the spelling Cecilia, but I will admit to squealing in glee when I heard the name.

March 8, 2010 9:37 PM
By Emmy (not verified)

I love the name Cecelia, with this spelling. It's classic and beautiful. I'm slightly against the middle name, though, as many girls have that middle name nowadays. But it's an adorable name altogether.

March 9, 2010 1:56 PM
By Emily Weaver Brown (not verified)

Has everyone forgotten that Michale promise Pam's Nana that the baby would be named after her? Silvia for a girl and Silvio for a boy? I have a feeling that we have not heard the last of this name especially considering Andy's comments about not getting "to hung up on a baby name" since his was changed from Walter to Andrew. Was it a bit of foreshadowing?

March 9, 2010 6:15 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

I love Cecilia (my mom's name) and the S&G song, and my mn is Marie (after my grandmother). It's a pretty combination, and fits in with the so-called current "old lady" name trend (along with Alice and others), though I doubt Cecilia will reach the top 25 in the next decade.

March 9, 2010 7:20 PM
By Nicholas Hentschel (not verified)

I knew a girl with these 2 names, in high school; she was quite cute, as I recall.;-)

I also recall that she didn't use the name much. Instead, she just paired her "outer" initials, and went by, "C.J."

March 9, 2010 8:44 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

I know a girl with this long name: Cecilyaa Maria Anastasia Doenella Antionette Tnatina.
She goes be Cecil-Marie, but I mean, that long of a name is to much for a little girl. She's only 4!

March 10, 2010 12:25 PM
By Meggiebeth (not verified)

I love their choice of Cecelia. It has such an old world feel to it and it's a saint's name (I'm Catholic, so I get hung up on the saint name thing). You don't hear Cecelia all that much nowadays, and I do like this spelling so much better than with the extra 'i'. However, Marie as the middle name? Not too wild about. The names do flow well together, but still very boring. I've been hearing the name 'Marie' being used as a middle name as far back as I can remember. It has got to be the most commonly used middle name for a girl for the last twenty years or so. I'm all about using a more common, less exciting name for a middle name (my own name is Meghan Elizabeth, and my one-year-old daughter is named Emica Justine) but there are so many other choices that would complement Cecelia better, be more interesting, and still not over-power it.
I particularly like Cecelia Rose, for example. Or (off the top of my head) Cecelia Elise, Cecelia Joan, Cecelia Corinne (or Korinne if you don't like the double c's).

March 13, 2010 2:59 PM
By Camille (not verified)

Ohahaha, I totally forgot about that!!! I hope they do bring that up, that would be awesome. Personally I like the name Silvia, and definitely more than the name Cecelia.. but...poor little Andrew Bernard, having his name changed like that. I imagine a poor kid would be confused by that...