New Baby Alert: Bodhi Hawn Hudson

New Baby Alert: Bodhi Hawn Hudson
Fame Pictures

Goldie Hawn let us know about the birth on Twitter first (and that she was "dancing my Happy dance" about it), but today, from PEOPLE, we get the name: Bodhi Hawn Hudson was born this week to actors Oliver Hudson and Erinn Bartlett.

With their choice of Bodhi, Hudson and Bartlett prove themselves to be interesting namers, in sync with the zeitgeist of a particular clan of namers. Their other son is Wilder Brooks Hudson.

Bodhi -- a Buddhist concept that means "englightenment" -- has never appeared on the popular name charts, but it does seem to enjoy surprising celebrity popularity. This is the second Bodhi we've seen this year: Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio's new son is Luka Bodhi. Actor Amy Brenneman also has a young son named Bodhi.   In addition, Jenna Elfman's husband is Bodhi (new father to Easton and his big brother, Story). We've seen other Eastern names lately (see our stories on celebrity babies Dakota Tao WoodsideGoldie Priya Lee and Krishna Thea Lakshmi). Is this enough to declare a mini-trend?

Bodhi is more than just an Eastern name, though. Bode -- pronounced the same way -- is a surname-name (and the name of Olympic gold medalist skier Bode Miller), while Bodie was a character on the acclaimed HBO show, The Wire (see Slate's recent piece on the show here). It seems like this name -- in both its Eastern form and its other forms -- is making its presence felt.

What do you think of Bodhi? And what about Wilder?

--L.R.

Comments

March 25, 2010 6:00 PM
By Hillary (not verified)

I think the Olympic athlete Bodhi Miller probably is doing good things for that name too.

March 25, 2010 6:01 PM
By Lane

Good reminder!

March 25, 2010 6:04 PM
By Hillary (not verified)

I see now it's spelled Bode. Whoops!

March 25, 2010 8:00 PM
By CC & B's Mom (not verified)

I actually know a little Wilder and I always thought that it was a name just begging for trouble! :)

March 30, 2010 1:23 PM

I love the name Bodhi. I wanted to name my first son Bodhi, but his father was very against it. He settled for Brody and I wouldn't have it any other way now.

I also know a little boy about 3 now named Bodie after an old mining town near us.

June 14, 2011 1:32 PM
By maigrir du ventre (not verified)

Wow, nice post,there are actually a lot of individual looking about that now they'll acquire sufficient resources by your post.Thank you for sharing to us.Please 1 significantly additional post about that..