Easter, Bunny: Names

Has the Easter Bunny stopped by your house today?  How about Easter? Or Bunny? Seriously.  Easter and Bunny are both real names with histories in the United States, though ones we rarely hear today.

The girls' name Easter derives from the Christian holiday name, which is ultimately derived from the Germanic spring goddess Eostre, according to Behind the Name.  Some people also think it is a variant of the name Esther. And believe it or not, Easter was once a relatively popular name in the United States , at least for girls born on Easter. The name Easter ranked among the top-1000 girls names in the United States from the 1890s to the 1930s. But since 1940 it has never made the charts.

Bunny is more classically a nickname than a given name.  In fact The Official Preppy Handbook, the tongue-in-cheek 1980s guide to all things preppy listed Bunny as the #6 name for preppy men. We have found men with given names Henry, Warren, Edmund, Bernard and Ben all nicknamed Bunny, not to mention reggae musician Bunny Wailer, whose given name was Neville O'Reilly Livingston.

For girls, Bunny can be a nickname for many names that start with the letter B -- most typically Barbara -- as well as Elizabeth.  For contemporary readers, Bunny is also known as a character in the Japanese manga series, Sailor Moon.

--J.B.

Comments

April 4, 2010 3:46 PM
By Lane

Okay, I just read today about the new version of the Preppy Handbook that is coming out. I wonder what the new preppy names will be?

April 5, 2010 4:39 PM
By A Rose (not verified)

I have a friend with a great-aunt Bunny. I don't know if that's her given name or a nn (and if so, for what).

April 5, 2010 5:57 PM
By Valerie (not verified)

The name Pascal(e) also relates to the festival of Easter, and I prefer it to Easter or Bunny, personally! In Italian, it is Pasquale.

April 6, 2010 12:22 PM
By Julia (not verified)

My mum told me the other day that my dad wanted to name me Bernadette. She overruled him, but then admitted that, had she caved, she probably would have called me exclusively "Bunny."

April 6, 2010 1:30 PM
By Zoerhenne (not verified)

I think April would be a good choice for a name over Easter or Bunnny. Then again there is always Hershey, Cadbury, or Reese!

April 7, 2010 7:43 AM
By NAMES (not verified)

LOL! I call my fiance Bunny for giggles!