Glee & the Best Baby Name of All Time

Glee & the Best Baby Name of All Time
WIC/Fame Pictures: Cory Monteith, who plays Finn on Glee

After a brief hiatus, Glee is back on the air.  For those, very few, of you unaware of this hit show, Glee centers around the motley crew forming McKinely High School's Glee Club.  Is the show a comedy, a musical, a drama, a campy send-up -- well, it's all of those things.  It's also fascinating for those of us into names.   A year ago, when the show first debuted, we wrote:  "Lucky for us name aficionados, Glee holds true to the great tradition of high school romance-comedies – names give big clues as to what season one might have in store for us."

But little did we know that baby naming would get such direct attention! SPOILER ALERT: PLOT ELEMENTS FROM THE FIRST HALF OF SEASON ONE WILL BE MENTIONED. (It's actually the second half of season one, not season two, on the airwaves now.)

In May 2009, our storyline-prediction-based-on-names for Quinn, head cheerleader and President of the Celibacy Club, and Finn, quarterback, was: "Perhaps Finn and Quinn have a nice rhyme but no real romantic future?"  Little did we know Quinn would get pregnant and tell Finn he's the dad, even though he's not -- dad would be Finn's best friend, Puck.  Drama.

So Finn, doing his best to handle Glee club, football, his girlfriend and impending fatherhood, begins brainstorming baby names.  During a Spanish test he tells Quinn that he's come up with the perfect name, passing a note that reveals his ephiany:

Finn: I figured we should name our kid something more original and poetic. Then I came up with the best baby name of all time: Drizzle!
Quinn: Drizzle?
Finn: Yeah, yeah, 'cause you know how awesome it is when it's just drizzling outside, but it's not really rain, so it smells like rain but you don't need an umbrella to go outside...
Quinn: Are you a moron?
Finn: What?
Quinn: We are not naming our baby Drizzle.

(Quotation source: wikiquote)

Finn's idea got us thinking.  What are other things, experiences, objects that are original, poetic and awesome, and have just been totally overlooked?  What name is just waiting to be discovered as the best baby name of all time? (Or, at least second place to Drizzle.)

Channeling our inner Finn, we came up with a few:

• Dew (feels so good on bare feet, walking on grass early in the morning)
  • Butter (makes everything taste better)
  • Vanilla (smells so yummy when you are making cookies)
  • Friday (because who isn't happy about Friday?)
  • Weekend (see reasoning for Friday)
  • Nap or Siesta (it's awesome to be able to sleep for bit during the day)
  • Glisten (sweating feels realy good, but "sweat" doesn't sound right for a girl's name, so how about Glisten, because that's what this beautiful baby will do when she sweats)
  • Flurry (like with Drizzle, it's not really snowing, so you don't have to deal with bad roads and ice, but you still get the beauty of a winter wonderland)

What others can you think of that fit the Finn-standard of original, poetic and awesome?  Can you come up with a name to rival Drizzle for best baby name of all time?  Thoughts on Drizzle -- are you with Finn or Quinn on this one?  Do tell.

--D.J.

Comments

April 24, 2010 6:22 AM
By Jennie

LOL. Reminds me of recent questions to the Name Lady about the names Win and Bright

April 24, 2010 12:00 PM
By Carol (not verified)

I think drizzle is NOT good for a baby name. Too close to other d words like dork and drippy and dizzy. However there is also drizzle of icing on a cupcake and that is GOOD! I would not use Drizzle. Siesta is actually a cute girl's name.

How about:
Mashed Potato (JK, but they are good)
Green (Ecology friendly is in, so should make for some GREAT Green names)
Canopy (eco-friendly)
Gravity (very good thing)
Cavern
Cinnamon Sugar (Cinna for short)

Some of these I would NEVER use, just thought some were kinda funny/cute.

April 24, 2010 3:27 PM
By Lane

Sprinkle -- the best part of the cupcake
Frilly -- a party dress
Slumber -- the sleep you have on Saturday

April 26, 2010 6:52 AM
By Lane

Spatula... Patio...

April 26, 2010 4:34 PM
By Mimi (not verified)

don't forget Holiday or Vacation, Camp, Swing, or Halloween

April 27, 2010 9:44 AM

I think Quinn is right on this one. Drizzle sounds sweet, but would cause a kid a life of horror---which would probably start in pre-school.
Nope to Drizzle!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 12:22 PM

Drizzle isn't so strange; it's not too far from Drucilla and Griselle/Griselda. The latter is often found as Grizzel or even Gristle in family history records!

April 27, 2010 12:29 PM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

my main issue with drizzle is the -izzle ending, since that was a thing in hip-hop for a while. Drizzle would be very sweet in another 15 years or so

April 27, 2010 1:13 PM
By NWMom (not verified)

Hahahahaha!

Sparkle!
Nougat!
Thaw!
Puddle!
Sherbet!

Ah, crap! I think my kids are going to need a name do-over!! Best! Names! Ever!

April 27, 2010 1:54 PM
By jillie (not verified)

Attaché, it's like Satchel, but classier.
Rayon, so silky and shiny.
Utensil, very useful.
Satire, theatrical.
Rhythm, so pure and methodical.

April 27, 2010 2:09 PM
By Katsy (not verified)

This could get fun!

Novel- I like to read, but "Book" isn't very original
Louboutin- for all you shoe lovers ;)
Qwerty- for avid texters! Haha

April 27, 2010 2:42 PM
By Jennie

Jillie, in college we had cats named Rayon and Teflon. We referred to them as industrial kitties.

Love attache but no idea how to make that accent aigue (sp?)

April 27, 2010 4:49 PM

Oh my goodness, please no one take these seriously! Lol.

I did know a girl named Cinnamon though! She didn't have the greatest reputation if you know what I mean...maybe it has some thing to do with the whole 'Candy' or 'Star' as stripper names thing...

April 27, 2010 10:00 PM

Oh my,
- Trinket
- Button
- Swindle
...Your right, this is fun :)

April 28, 2010 7:30 AM
By zoerhenne (not verified)

There you go anonymous-Button is perfect and the perfect matching name to Blanket (the dumbest name I have ever heard)!

April 29, 2010 2:30 PM
By nedibes (not verified)

Prosody: study of poetry/rhythm of speech
Scansion: metrical structure
(sister and brother for Cadence?)
Limerick: poetic, jaunty, and Irish with the bonus of the trendy K sound
Flight: everybody's favorite dream
(Gravity's more optimistic sibling?)
Bask: implies enjoyment and warmth, again with the trendy K
Memento: Pretty name to use if you want to name a child after someone whose name you don't like--bonus: you can tell multiple people she's named after them (as long as they don't compare notes)
Glee: extreme happiness, pop-culture phenom

Heh, I could do this all day. Although I don't think any of these have quite the horror factor of Drizzle. Hmm, maybe Dribble? It's the most basic skill necessary for America's most original sport, and also something babies do well?

April 29, 2010 2:50 PM
By nedibes (not verified)

Ooh, twin name for Glee: Bliss (were there literary horses named Bliss and Bless somewhere?)

May 5, 2010 8:07 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

Chocolate (who doesn't like that?- could call her Cocoa for short :)
Smoothie
Anywhere you have had a good vacation will work: Florida, California, Bahama, Fiji, Hawaii, Paris, London, Rome, etc.
Peanut Butter
Oreo
Clearly, with the exception of the place names, maybe, I would never actually consider naming a child these things, but it is fun to think about.

June 9, 2010 10:05 AM
By Elissa (not verified)

Ha, I actually WOULD consider Holiday or Memento! Memento is an excellent name!

I also know someone named C*innamon. Yes, with an asterik.

Hm... may I throw my hat into the ring with...

-Rainbow (though Iris the rainbow god works in that respect!)
-Sunrise
-Donutsmells
-Punchline (the part of the joke that brings us laughter!)
-Laughter/Mirth
-Cashmere
-Symphony
-Indica/Sativa (in my neighborhood, a pair of sisters. Simple pleasures!).

June 9, 2010 4:09 PM

My husband and I laughed so hard when we heard about the "Drizzle" name on Glee b/c "Drizzle" is my husband's nickname (his friends even had a cap embroidered with "Drizzle" on it) This is his nickname b/c his last name is "Rainwater"

June 16, 2010 7:46 AM

I know a baby with the middle name Friday! First name: Captain. I'm not even kidding.

January 18, 2011 1:58 PM
By Pamela S (not verified)

A friend from high school named his son Atomic. It actually kinda works with the surname, in a totally quirky artistic sort of way.

As funny and inappropriate as most of these suggestions are for a child, some of them would make great names for a pet.

May 23, 2011 4:57 PM

Candle (actually a character in the book Son of a Witch)
Wingspan
Rhyme
Silhouette
Chevrolet
Shining (I actually knew a girl with this name, but she was Chinese, so it might have meant something different)
Haiku, Poem

June 14, 2011 11:29 AM
By comment maigrir du ventre (not verified)

Great details here, This is what i’m looking for. thanks, i've bookmark your internet page.

June 14, 2011 1:24 PM
By comment perdre du poids rapidement (not verified)

It is greatest to write an intriguing post about some factor actual and start off a conversation together with your visitors to get many comments