Celebrity Pet Name Regret

Celebrity Pet Name Regret
Don't get too comfy li'l pooch! Kadenapix/bauergriffin.com

Paulina Rubio, who recently revealed her pregnancy, was seen last week bundling her pooch like a baby (pictured). According to a completely anonymous comment on a dog website (so you know the info is good, right?), the new pup's name is Carola. Before this little pup, Rubio had a well-known dog named Miranda, who recorded videos and even audio track with the singer, and whose death was widely reported (on music and pet sites, at least).

Now that she's expecting a baby of the human variety, will Rubio regret using her favorite names on her dogs? Our own Name Lady addressed this (surprisingly common) question today in her column, "Can I Name My Baby After the Dog?" Below, we take a look at celebrity dog names to see which celebrities are in danger of "using up" people names on their pooches.

The first thing we noticed is that celebrities seem to name their dogs after each other. Martha Stewart is the name of Jennifer Garner's dog; Coco Chanel and Frank Sinatra belong to Reese Witherspoon; and Jessica Alba has Sid and Nancy.

But which celebs are in danger of "using up" good people names on their pets? Jake Gyllenhaal used up Atticus on his dog, and Lindsay Lohan and Lauren Conrad both used up Chloe. Mary Kate Olsen used up Luca. Natalie Portman, Mischa Barton and Jennifer Love Hewitt all used up Charlie. Will any regret this choice in the future?

See more celebrity pet names.

Did you use a favorite baby name or a celebrity name on your pet? Have you had "pet name regret"? Most importantly: have you ever rocked both a puppy-papoose and a fedora?

--L.R.

Comments

May 17, 2010 5:04 PM

No, but I did mention to my best friend that the Scotch (whisky) name she was 90%-jokingly considering for her baby was our dog's full name. We almost always used a nickname for the dog. Oddly enough, my friend's parents would have named her Heidi except it was their best friends' dog's name, and my son has the same name as our mutual friends' cat.

May 17, 2010 8:09 PM

I named my dog Ollivander, nicknamed Ollie. I call him both. I actually regretted the name after awhile because I thought it made a pretty awesome baby name. I also named my cat Stella - I found her in my backyard and had no intention of keeping her - before it was 'hip' again. Now, I COMPLETELY regret it. I love the name Stella Josephine for a baby girl. I also have a Gia (Gianna) and Cammie (Camea) but I'd never consider them for children. I will never name a child a name if a friend or family member has a pet named the same.

May 17, 2010 11:24 PM
By Merryme (not verified)

My son's name is Milo and I have heard a few people (thanks) tell me that it's more of an animal name, mostly I think thanks to the movie Milo and Otis. I just get back because I don't think people say that to Mom's of Lucy's, Charlie's, Sam's, and Zoe's and I now far more cat's and dogs with those names.

May 18, 2010 10:24 AM
By Soren (not verified)

I would start by challenging the assumption that a good name is wasted on a pet. Besides the fact that these individuals may never choose to name a child, there are so many names, and anyway, can't you give the name to both animal and child (in the end, neither may want it).

I have long wanted to name one of the many animals in my life Philippa. Unfortunately, it is the name of my sister's mother-in-law and I am absolutely certain that such would cause unnecessary strife.

I can't help asking though, does it really matter? Is it so wrong to have a dog named Philippa AND a mother-in-law (or daughter or what-have-you).

May 18, 2010 11:45 AM

I don't wish to be depressing, but if you're considering the baby name in question because you already HAVE a dog by that name, well, it's not as though the child will ALWAYS share the name with the dog is it? Also, that might be something to keep in mind; eventually you will have to associate your child's name with the death of a beloved animal-friend. I can't imagine that would be a pleasant burden on a child.

May 18, 2010 12:18 PM
By Pamela S (not verified)

Doesn't the Crocodile Hunter's daughter share her name with a crocodile? I've not heard any complaints from either Bindi.

May 18, 2010 6:10 PM

This is why I refuse to use "people" names for my animals. I will nevername my children Turtle or Cinnamon, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

Bindi Irwin is named after a crocodile AND a dog!

May 19, 2010 11:59 PM
By Liadee (not verified)

My parents had a dog in college named Kahlua Belle. About fifteen years later my dads cousin had a baby who was named... Kahlua Belle! Okay so it wasnt their dog, but still it is pretty weird and we do joke about it.

Im my family weve had Clifford, Alice, Rosie, Charlie, TJ, Marley, Dakota (cody), Cooper, Bailey, and Chase.

most of them dont matter, but I love Alice, and would actually consider it, but alice was a nasty bunny who used to bite me, so thats a no.

Also ive loved the name Chase for years, and of course now my aunt and uncle adopted a very lovey bulldog named it. I dont think i could get away with it while the dog is still alive especially.

May 20, 2010 7:58 PM
By Juulie Downs (not verified)

One of the purposes of pets is to use the names you'd never give your child. We had a Walter and a Cleo which are both wonderful names that we'd never think of giving kids.

May 21, 2010 1:55 PM
By anon (not verified)

I have neighbors with children named Paul and Tracy--- their dogs are Charlotte and Elizabeth, if you would believe!

Another neighbor has children named Riley and Hunter, which to me seem like very common names for Golden Retriever (in addition to Dakota and Fritz, but no kids are named Fritz now!)

December 3, 2011 3:34 AM

We have 2 dogs that were already named & older when we got them, so we kept the names. Both have people names. Wyatt was 2 when we got him, and is now 10. I wouldn't have thought of that so much as a people name when we got him, but I have had to bite my tongue a number of times now to keep from saying "That's my dog's name!" to enthusiastic new parents. I know know 4 human Wyatt's under 5 in close enough acquaintanceship for their parents to have known my dog's name before bestowing it upon their children. We just got another dog recently who is 3, and his name is Tommy. I know one adult Tom, but no kids right now. Other past pets have been Picard, Grover, Rufus, Shmoopy, Cuddles, Jerome, Pandora (Pandy), Sugar, Janus. I like Jerome & Pandora as human names but wouldn't use them myself. My Bro-in-law has a dog named Sadie, and that so would have been in the running for our daughter if it wasn't "taken."

October 7, 2013 11:07 PM

Thanks!

June 30, 2014 11:01 AM
By jackdon (not verified)

any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated. binäre optionen broker

July 19, 2014 6:05 PM
By jackdon (not verified)

saperne di più This is so beautiful and creative. I just love the colors and whoever gets it in the mail will be smiling.