New Baby Alert: Kevin Costner Rhymes, Rolls with Celebrity Spate of Grace

New Baby Alert: Kevin Costner Rhymes, Rolls with Celebrity Spate of Grace
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Kevin Costner and his wife, Christine Baumgartner Costner, welcomed baby Grace Avery this week. Congratulations! She joins siblings Anne, Lily, Joe, Liam, Cayden and Hayes. It's Kevin, plus seven. But it's also Kevin plus twenty-six.... other celebrities who have chosen the name Grace.

Yes, Baby Grace Avery is a big one for us too: she's number 27! Our Celebrity Baby Names Lookup database (see over there to the right? That's one of the free tools that we offer you, our readers, for free!) lists 27 babies graced with Grace for a first or middle name. Other parents of Grace include Lance Armstrong, Meryl Streep and Danny DeVito.

There's been an intensification of the Spate of Grace in celebrity name land in the past year. Celebrities have welcomed these eight Graces in 2009 and 2010:

Clementine Grace

Blakesley Grace

Helena Grace

Charlotte Grace

Hartley Grace

Liberty Grace

Grace Margaret

Grace Avery

Grace is an almost-top-10 name that we can't stop writing about (most recently, in our essay on the enduring lure of Grace Kelly).

But choosing a hot celebrity name with impeccable Hollywood precedence is not the only way Kevin Costner is on point. Take a look at the names of his children with wife Christine Baumgartner, all age three or younger.

Cayden Wyatt

Hayes Logan

Grace Avery

See a pattern? Yep, it's that "ay" sound in the middle. The Costners aren't alone in their fondness for this sound -- we've already picked Greyson as a hot name of 2010 because of the upward trend of names with this sound.

But the "ay" pattern gets old (we're glad they didn't call her Grayce!), and Hayes and Grace come mighty close to rhyming.

What do you think of Grace Avery? Do you like Grace as a sister to Cayden and Hayes?

--L.R.

Comments

June 3, 2010 1:07 PM
By Cassie (not verified)

I'm loving the Grace thing. I think it is a timeless name that goes well with anything (kind of like Anne with a bit more pizazz).

My youngest (4 months) is Danika Grace.

As for Kevin's kids...I like the pattern. But then again we have Desiree Elise, Dakota Gabriel, Declan Judah, Dominique Rose and Danika Grace in our family. :)

June 3, 2010 5:36 PM

I have three young children, and they encounter sooooo many little girls named Grace. It's a nice name, but especially in certain areas, it is just so popular that it loses any mystique or sophistication that the association with Grace Kelly might lend to it.

I'm also not sure I quite understand what is so appealing about the sound of the name. The meaning is lovely, but somehow the "gr" just doesn't sound that pleasant to me, and the easy "face" "race" "mace" "space" (etc.) rhymes also leave me wondering why it has gotten so incredibly popular.

June 3, 2010 7:52 PM
By Smismar (not verified)

My middle name is Grace. And 29 years ago when I was born, it was RARE. I was named for my great-grandmother Grace and it was a name that was hardly used and I loved that it was unique and I didn't have one of the "filler" middle names like Ann, Lynn, and Marie that it seemed 85% of my friends had.

Nowadays, not so much. Now my beloved middle name has become one of those filler names. And it makes me sad.

June 3, 2010 10:03 PM
By Alex (not verified)

Being a wise father and ahead of my times, I middle-named my younger daughter Grace nearly forty years ago. However, she always insisted on making Grape or Grapefruit out of it. Go try to give a child a lovely name!

June 4, 2010 5:48 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

These days, Grace is becoming so frequent in my circle that the shine is starting to wear thin. However, the double dose of the "ay" sounds in Grace Avery do not flow well to my ear. Grace sounds a bit short and choppy with Avery following.

Avery Grace, on the other hand, lilts in a pleasant way, and Avery doesn't have the almost-rhyme feel with Hayes that Grace does.

The Kostners certainly seem to be falling into the current name trends with their choices.

October 29, 2013 11:54 PM
By best essay writer (not verified)

A superb good quality blog site regarding symbolizing this Cupboard solutions! I prefer the best way blogger presented specifics of the whole article. Thank you for submitting this type of wonderful blog.