Summer Names

Summer lovin' had me a blast, summer lovin' happened so fast...  With the solstice behind us, we are now officially in the summer season.  Earlier in the year we looked to the spring season for inspiration (checking out also botanical names), so now how about summer?

We look to the months, the season itself and then the elements, qualities, of summer.

MONTHS

JUNEA name with charm and old-fashioned hipness.  Certainly one of the early 20th century "old lady names" that works best today. (If you are into old lady names, check out our series on the topic.) Was on a downward slope for the second half of the 20th century (see Name Voyager graph) but is now back in the Social Security Administration's top 1000 names at #662th century.

JULYStrikes our ear as a fun first or middle name, two simple syllables, the same beginning sound as June, Julia, Julie, but then slightly unexpected twist with the final -ly sound. Never in top 1000 names.

AUGUSTCould works for boys and girls, though more often seen for boys.  There's a regal, classiness to the name.  As a middle name adds a touch of the debonair.  August is a constant in the top 1000 names for boys, current #443; never in top 1000 for girls.

THE SEASON ITSELF

SUMMERBeen in the top 1000 names since the 1970s, currently #175.  Brings to mind images and thoughts of the mid-20th century, when the name grew in popularity, though its been steadily popular since then.  Recently the name had a high-profile in a recent film -- 500 Days of Summer, with the main character, Summer, played by Zooey Deschanel.  Her character was artistic, flightly -- and perhaps the name itself was to give audience associations with the free-spirited ideas of the 1960s/1970s.

THE ELEMENTS, QUALITIES, OF SUMMER

• Humidity: Might be stretching it.  But it sounds name-like.
  • Rain: Could be shortened into Rainie, Rainey or Rainy.  For you playgoers out there, August Wilson wrote Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
  • Vacay: Who doesn't love vacation?
  • Heat: Middle name potential.
  • Balmy: Cute nickname.  Imagine a little sweaty toddler.  Balmie, Balmy, get over here.
  • Solstice: Doesn't this sound dignified and calm?  The noun brings to mind names drawn from nature (Brook, Meadow, Willow) but also there's something elegant, stately in Solstice, something immaterial, intangible and calming (in the company of Harmony, Grace, Faith).

Tell me more, tell me more.  Of these summer names, which one is the winner for you?  Do you know anyone with a name inspired by summer?  If we get a little creative, what other names might we find in what we are seeing and feeling in these mid-year months?

-D.J.

Comments

June 26, 2010 11:25 AM
By Lizzy (not verified)

How about Sunny and Sunshine?

I love June, August (boy) and Solstice.

June 26, 2010 3:33 PM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

I really like Solstice! August, too - makes me think of the movie August Rush, which I really liked.

Breeze
Ocean
Firework? Rocket? Flare? Bonfire?

A big part of summer for me is the fresh produce - I think Cherry gets used as a name, are there any others?

June 26, 2010 6:58 PM
By Hillary (not verified)

I've met someone named Beach (female) which seems kind of summery, and I grew up with a Sunshine (also female).

June 26, 2010 7:05 PM
By Dominique

Hmm, and Solstice could be Solie, Soly for short! Lizzy -- Sunny and Sunshine totally capture that summer feel. Caitlyn -- maybe Flare could go with a Blaire-like spelling, Flaire... Peaches is another great fruit name, though probably more nickname material. Hillary, I've never met a Beach, but a fun, slightly out there, choice.

June 27, 2010 3:14 AM
By Miri (not verified)

Names I think of in this vein are Sky, Lake, Rainbow.
Looking to other languages offers some other ideas too: Soleil (sun in French - pronounced sol-ay), Ciel (sky in French - pronounced see-elle) the list could be endless. I don't love Humidity as a name - I wilt in the summer so that has a negative connotation for me. Beach could be rough - that's how my mom mispronounces a certain slur against women...

June 27, 2010 11:02 AM
By Not A Beach (not verified)

I think beach has way too much nasty nickname, or just name calling in general potential. If I heard someone calling for "Beach" I'd probably think they were saying b*tch

June 27, 2010 2:44 PM
By Chloe (not verified)

Maybe I'm biased since I'm an August birthday and this is my sign but I have always loved the name Leo and other celestial sounding names such as Stella and Luna.

And I know this is a summer article but I just love the name Autumn, i think it sounds so pretty, brings to mind gorgeous colors and the letters look great written down (I know weird, but that is something that is important to me in a name)

June 27, 2010 6:51 PM
By Dominique

Chloe -- I agree on Autumn. Here's a post on Autumn names: http://www.namecandy.com/celebrity-baby-names/blog/2009/11/28/the-names-of-autumn

June 28, 2010 8:04 AM
By Sebastiane (not verified)

I always thought Solstice would make a cool name.

June 29, 2010 12:31 PM
By 4boymomma (not verified)

Sebastian means august (as in venerable or awe inspiring) but we thought it fitting for our August born son! And I like the name Solstice too!

June 29, 2010 12:44 PM

For Latin/Spanish speakers Marisol might work - Sea (Mar) and Sun (Sol). I think its a pretty name.

June 29, 2010 12:46 PM
By Heather (not verified)

How funny! Heat is my nickname, which was given to me by my sister Sunni (who has a twin Starla) I think she was trying to match them up, lol
Not many nicknames for Heather, so I love it!

June 29, 2010 4:03 PM
By LJ (not verified)

I like June and August. Solstice sounds very strong to me. Also,
my neighbors have a daughter named Ocean, and a little girl in my daughters daycare is named Island. Both are very unusual names (if there is such a thing anymore), but they both certainly conjure the summer season for me.

June 29, 2010 6:04 PM
By Mary (not verified)

June July and August would be wintery names for those of us in the southern hemisphere

June 30, 2010 1:23 PM

I have a cousin named Sunset! I love this name and would be beautiful for any baby girl..

June 30, 2010 1:23 PM

June 30, 2010 2:24 PM
By Katsy (not verified)

I know a little girl named Tatum June, for the month she was born in. I really like June as a middle name, I think it has a slightly spunky, yet classic feel.

As for the other names, none of them are really my style. But I do like the suggetions of Solei and Ciel, both very pretty names.

July 1, 2010 1:21 PM
By Mamapeas (not verified)

@Chloe-I write down all my baby name choices too, and if they look weird, they're out, lol! Glad to see I'm not the only one!

I like Solstice, Solei, and Ciel, all very cute!

Isle, that could be one too. It relates to Island, but I prefer the sound of it to the English form of the word.

And there are a lot of Hawaiian names that could fit this category!

August 3, 2010 10:17 PM
By Cecily's Mom (not verified)

I knew a girl who went by Breezy.
It sounds fun and care free.