New Baby Alert: Jodie Sweetin, Wild Child Star, Chooses Genteel Name

New Baby Alert: Jodie Sweetin, Wild Child Star, Chooses Genteel Name
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Jodie Sweetin, AKA Stephanie Tanner on Full House, may have gone through a wild child period, but for baby number two she's picked a name that evokes the most prim and dimpled of childhoods. Sweetin and her boyfriend, DJ Morty Coyle (Morty Coyle! as in mortal coil?), welcomed daughter Beatrix Carlin Sweetin Coyle, whom, according to PEOPLE, her father has already nicknamed Bea. Sweetin also has a daughter from a previous marriage, Zoie Laurelmae.

Beatrix, "she who brings happiness," derives from the Latin beatus, for happy or blessed. Despite being the name of an adorable queen and of Uma Thurman's kick-ass character in the Kill Bill movies, Beatrix has never been on the charts in the US. (On the other hand, the related international variations Beatrice and Beatriz have both made the US charts in recent years.)

Still, the name is familiar to legions of parents and former children due to the continued popularity of the tales of Beatrix Potter. Potter -- born Helen Beatrix Potter in 1866 -- lived a privileged English childhood complete with governesses, a springer spaniel, and summers sketching in the Lake District. She translated her love of landscape and animals into The Tale of Peter Rabbit, following up that successful book with more than twenty others that included memorably-named characters like Jemima Puddleduck, Squirrel Nutkin, and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle. Less well known: despite being rejected from school and barred from scientific because she was a woman, Potter became a respected mycologist

Bea is an adorable nickname that evokes another strong woman, Bea Arthur (though we also like the nickname Trixie). This all makes Beatrix an under-the-radar name with the trifecta of great meaning, great namesakes, and great nicknames. Surprisingly, it hasn't been much used by celebrities (though accessories designer Kate Spade has a daughter named Frances Beatrix). Does the choice of Beatrix, nickname Bea, signal a new maturity for Sweetin?

What do you think of Beatrix? And do you pronounce it with two syllables (bee-trix) or three (bee-a-trix)?

--L.R.

Comments

September 2, 2010 9:20 AM
By Kristina (not verified)

I would pronounce it with three syllables.
Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew's oldest daughter is also named Beatrix, isn't she?

September 2, 2010 9:24 AM
By bajik (not verified)

Three syllables. I like it and it was actually on my list for a while, but ultimately we didn't use it because I don't like the possibility of Trixie.

September 2, 2010 9:55 AM
By Lane

@Kristina--close! She's Princess Beatrice.

September 2, 2010 12:45 PM
By kmc (not verified)

I love Beatrix (and Beatrice)! I usually pronounce it with three syllables but my grandmother (who's name was Beatrice) pronounced it with two.

September 2, 2010 7:15 PM
By Hillary (not verified)

I really love Beatrix. My husband does not. Maybe the Kill Bill reference would convince him, though.

September 3, 2010 11:57 AM
By Elissa (not verified)

Love Beatrix. It's def on my list. It evokes a curly-haired, dimpled little girl, but also sounds cosmopolitan and who doesn't love an x? I don't really like Trixie but I do like Bea, and the meaning especially.

September 3, 2010 12:36 PM
By Helen (not verified)

Beatrice was on our list, but we went with a family name instead. I'd pronounce it with 3 syllables. And it still makes me smile whenever we read "Knuffle Bunny" that the character's name is Trixie... (but as they discuss in the second book - is it 'nuffle bunny or kuh-nuffle bunny?)

September 5, 2010 5:43 PM
By Mom (not verified)

I Love Beatrix (3 syllables). My granddaughter's middle name is Beatrix, and she can't be any sweeter! I don't think I would ever call her Trixie.

September 7, 2010 9:39 PM
By Anne P. (not verified)

I like Beatrix. A similar name that I first heard in a Harry Potter book and would love were it not for that cultural reference is Bellatrix. A sweet combination of the popular Bella and the more edgey yet traditional Beatrix. It's a star in the Orion constellation and I have a think for celestial names. (Harry Potter put a damper on Luna for me as well.)

September 9, 2010 8:15 AM
By Essy (not verified)

3 syllables. I'm not a fan of the 'trix' ending, it reminds me of witches in general, i much prefer Beatrice, it has a sweeter, softer sound to it, Beatrice I definitely like.

it's funny that others are getting a sweet feeling from it, i don't know why i respond negatively to the sound 'trix' - perhaps an unconscious dislike for the cereal.

September 9, 2010 8:16 AM
By Essy (not verified)

oh, whenever I hear the name Luna I think of the talking cat on Sailor Moon, but HP Luna I think is very aptly named

September 13, 2010 6:42 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Love, love, LOVE the name Beatrix. And it's miles better than Zoie- which takes a great name (says Zoe) and totally ruins it. To me, Zoie looks like a comic book sound effect and should be pronounced Zoy-ee

January 7, 2013 8:12 PM
By cp1029 (not verified)

Dec 5, 2012 - Uploaded by lesmagouilles Test Freelander I20 Newman N2 quad-core Blog JT Geek Boutique JT Geek

October 18, 2013 9:37 PM
By maine (not verified)

I guess, Bea is a common name, and Beatrix is somewhat unique to hear. And I think it would be better pronounce with three syllables. - Aldo Disorbo

May 22, 2014 1:11 PM
By jackdon (not verified)

The Vo-96 augments and controls the vibration of guitar strings, dramatically expanding the sonic capabilities of almost any standard acoustic guitaropzioni binarie strategie

May 23, 2014 5:34 AM
By jackdon (not verified)

What an awesome blog post. And yes its true. My parents began talking to me about sex at age 12, today Im 21 and have no kids, and use protection regularly. It's important YOU talk to them, before someone ELSE talks to them.binära optioner trading

May 25, 2014 3:34 PM
By jackdon (not verified)

I together with my buddies have been going through the nice procedures from your web page and then suddenly came up with a terrible feeling I had not thanked the site owner for those techniques.opzioni binarie forum

August 5, 2014 6:35 AM
By Lara (not verified)

This post was well worth reading and I wanted to thank you for your view on the subject.. https://archive.org/details/PregnancyMiracleBookLisaOlson

September 3, 2014 5:57 AM
By url (not verified)

I have learned lot of things thanks you for this post.

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.