New Baby Alert: Rich Sommer's Baby Name Number Two. (What's Yours?)

New Baby Alert: Rich Sommer's Baby Name Number Two. (What's Yours?)
Rich Sommer/Twitter

Congratulations to Mad Men's Rich Sommer and his wife Virginia, who've welcomed a baby boy named Patrick Ryan. (Sommer tweeted this picture of himself with his new son.) Patrick is the second child for the couple; they also have a toddler named Beatrice.

Welcoming a second child is a big event, one a number of celebrities have gone through lately. While some soon-to-be-parents-of-two worry about upsetting the balance of their three-person family, others can find themselves with a particular kind of name anxiety. The name of your first child shows your taste (or at least your compromise). But with name number two, you commit yourself to an overall naming aesthetic.  Are you to be a matcher, like Jillian Barberie Reynolds? (Her kids are Ruby Raven Reynolds and Rocco Rio Reynolds.) Are you anti-matchey-match names? (For her two boys, Kerri Walsh matched the highly familiar Joseph with the highly eccentric Sundance).

And what if your family continues to grow? Are you, like Jamie Oliver, committing to a pattern? (He's got Poppy, Daisy, and Petal Blossom Rainbow, with baby number four on the way.) Can you, like reality TV's Novogratzs, pull off a whole squadron of eccentric names that somehow meld into a designer set? (The little Novogratzs are Wolfgang, Bellamy, Tallulah, Breaker, Five, Holleder and Major.)

At first glance, the Sommers have picked names that point in different style directions. Beatrice has not been common for decades (though it has re-entered the US charts at #833), while Patrick has never dipped much below #150 (currently #127).  On the other hand, both names evoke nobility, and both are ancient names derived from Latin -- Beatrice from the Latin for happy and blessed, and Patrick from the Latin for nobleman. Another similarity? Both names are currently popular in Scotland. And so the Sommers have committed to a pattern of sorts. They are as unlikely to name a future child a recently invented name like Nevaeh as they are to produce a fanciful Petal Blossom Rainbow.

Here are some of the celebrity baby twosomes created recently. Which is your favorite?

Which pair of names do you like best? What did, will, or would you name your number two?

--L.R.

Comments

September 7, 2010 9:31 AM
By Elissa (not verified)

Patrick and Beatrice are great names, then again, Beatrice/Beatrix is at the top of my list right now.

Also really like Gemma/Ronan (sound aristocratic and artistic) and Archie/Abel (comfy, cute throwbacks)...

Jeronimo and Fiona is cute too.

Not feeling the Joseph/Sundance combo for the same reasons as Violet/Seraphina and Harlow/Sparrow wherein one name (Joseph, Violet, Harlow, even) is significantly different than the other. Sundance is too contrastingly weird, Seraphina is a pretty name but strangely more frilly than Violet, and Sparrow continues to puzzle me. I think sparrow I think girls' tattoos and a bird that frequently gets killed by cats.

September 7, 2010 4:38 PM
By Lara Jane (not verified)

Beatrice was my #1 girl name, largely due to the fact that I'm a gigantic Shakespeare fangirl, and Beatrice is one of my favorite heroines. But, alas, Bea ("Bee") was not to be.

And I'm with Elissa on some of those uneven pairings! They baffle me! I'm anti-matchy (first initials, similar sounds, etc), but I think that sibsets should jive, stylistically.

September 8, 2010 8:23 AM
By Annee (not verified)

Patrick and Beatrice -- very nice.
Zoie and Beatrix -- odd combo, imo.
Joey and Sundance -- aye carumba!
Gemma and Ronan -- lovely.
Bo and Tate -- Beau?
Ella and Leo -- my faves!
Archie and Abel -- love these two!
Romy and Cosima -- very nice.
Cosimo and Tuesday -- ergh.
Jeronimo and Fiona -- Geronimo?
Lola and Luc -- Luke?
Jathan and Cavan -- ayeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Harlow and Sparrow -- oh, dear -- no.
Ruby and Otis -- adorable!
Violet and Seraphina --nice.

September 8, 2010 4:00 PM
By Alli (not verified)

I like Beatrice and Patrick, Ella and Leo, and Gemma and Ronan the best.

Naming a boy Sundance is so mean. Why would you do that to your baby?

The name Jathan (how I'm reading it) sounds like someone with a lisp is trying to say Jason.

September 8, 2010 8:00 PM

Harlow and Sparrow are cute apart but the common 'ow' ending takes away from thier names. My favourites are Ruby and Otis,Lola and Luc, Violet and Seraphina and Zoie and Beatrix, the rest are either just plain bad (Cosimo, Jeronimo), dead boring (Ella, Fiona) or strange (Jathan, Cavan.) Tuesday is nice but is completely ruined by Cosimo. Joey is a dear little name but Sundance is kinda unfortunate for a boy... ok for a girl maybe. I think names work best when they easily 'roll off the tounge together', and are of similair popularity. Names that with matching illiteration or initials just don't work.

September 9, 2010 5:05 AM
By Charly (not verified)

Brendan, Candace, Eric, Harold, Rhiannon, and Sarah would all fit in with the meaning/theme (royal) and general style (no kr8tives, could fit an adult) of the Sommers family. I LOVE Mad Men . . . congrats to Mr. Crane!

AND he loves board games! aaaw

October 25, 2013 5:56 AM
By lairon (not verified)

I was so glad when I heard of their second child. To me, I would like to pick the names Joey and Sundance. - Aldo Disorbo

March 9, 2014 7:25 AM
By Alexmark (not verified)

I like Beatrice and Patrick, Ella and Leo, and Gemma and Ronan the best.

Naming a boy Sundance is so mean. Why would you do that to your baby?

Android APK

May 30, 2014 6:34 AM
By jackdon (not verified)

I can never get the entire site to load without refreshing many times. Could just be my computer. Thanksbinära optioner avanza

June 29, 2014 2:18 AM

I am happy to say that your son may have earn name and fame more than you. Now you are a father and know how it is important to be a father. I am father too and i know it is the best feelings, I would like to check out this site for more content related to my interest as i am interested to groom my son and wants to make him a celebrity, so i hope you would also share some related content and would help me out.

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.