A Truly Original Baby Name on TLC's Sister Wives

On last night's season finale of the TLC show Sister Wives, polygamist Kody Brown married his fourth wife Robyn. In addition to a new wife, this season also saw the arrival of a new baby. Third wife Christine gave birth to her fifth child, Truely, last week.

The name Truely is certainly uncommon, but it isn't altogether unheard of. Truly Scrumptious is the heroine in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for which Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay. The film was loosely based on the children's novel of the same name by Ian Fleming, although Truly does not appear in the book. She was purely Dahl's creation, and her name is typical of him; his heroines were often a bit silly and sentimental with names to match. (Very much unlike Ian Fleming's names of choice as it were.)

Baby Truely joins siblings Aspyn, Mykelti, Paedon, Gwendlyn and Ysabel. It strikes us that of these names, Truly is the most common word, if not name. Truly reminds us too of Trudy, which peaked in the 1950s and has yet to come back in fashion. And of course it also brings to mind the name True, which has increased in popularity in recent years. Meg Ryan named her daughter Daisy True, Forest Whitaker is the proud father of True Isabella Summer and Kirstie Alley has a son named William True who goes by True.

What do you think of the names Truely, Truly and True?

--V.L.

Comments

October 18, 2010 2:47 PM
By Carrie (not verified)

I think I'd go with "Truly" to avoid the child having to hear "Did you know your name is spelled wrong?" all her life...

But it's not really my style anyway.

October 18, 2010 3:35 PM
By Jen (not verified)

I'm with Carrie on both points -- spelling and style.

Anyone looked at the "Utah Baby Namer" before? What do you think? http://wesclark.com/ubn/

It seems like their other children's names fit in with the style of many of the names listed there.

October 18, 2010 4:05 PM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

that's a lot of extraneous y's

True is actually kinda nice, though I don't think I'd use it. It reminds me of a favorite book character named Prudence, who often shortens her name to Pru.

October 19, 2010 3:41 AM
By Nicola (not verified)

Disregarding the awful spelling, Truely is a cute name (probably, as suggested, because it's very similar to Trudy). And, though I'm not a fan of two-name first names, I think Truely Grace is cuter still.

However, I think you're missing the more interesting naming story of Sister Wives. Although all the parents claim its one big family, the three sets of kids have very different styles of names.

Meri and Kody: Mariah (trendy/popular-ish for a 90s child)

Janelle and Kody: Logan, Madison, Hunter, Garrison, Gabriel, and Savanah (earthy names, with biblical/New Frontier connotations)

Christine and Kody: Aspyn, Mykelti, Paedon, Gwendlyn, Ysabel, and Truely ("creative", non-traditional names)

Each mom chooses very different names, apparently. (With little/no input from the dad or the other wives...?) Also notable that the moms with less-traditional names (Meri and Janelle) choose more traditional names, while timeless Christine chooses faddy names.

October 19, 2010 12:10 PM
By Nina (not verified)

I don't like the name, especially because of spelling. But even spelled Truly I wouldn't like it. True would be better.

I think her "style" is just not something I like. I think all the names are awful. How do they pronounce Mykelti?

October 19, 2010 12:16 PM
By Lane

@nicola -- fascinating comments. So the wives use naming as a mini-frontier for their own "style" or piece of turf, in a way.

October 19, 2010 12:27 PM
By Dianne (not verified)

This is a "true" story...I know of a woman named Truly who married a man with the last name Boring. And she does go by Truly Boring. Here's an article on her:

October 19, 2010 12:51 PM

@Nina

I believe it is pronounced Mic-kell-tee or Mih-kell-tee

October 19, 2010 1:20 PM

Truley would be my pick. But my daughters end in "ley" so that's the only way she would fit in!!

October 19, 2010 3:51 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

Truley sounds cute but seems out of place anywhere other than a TV satire, a la Arrested Development's Maeby and Surley. Having said that, if I had to pick between Truley and Trudy, I'd pick Truley for its sweeter lilt.

Really interesting comment from Nicola :)

October 20, 2010 3:48 PM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

I actually prefer Truly to True, it just sounds more name-like somehow. It's not at all the style I would actually use, but I can see it as a guilty-pleasure name. Truely, however, is misspelled, end of story.

November 23, 2010 11:01 AM
By Kelli (not verified)

My daughter's name is Truly and I love it! She is 10 months old and was named before this tv show came out. Just because they are on tv doesn't make them anymore orginal.

November 30, 2010 1:28 AM
By Rainbo (not verified)

What is the middle name of this baby on Sister Wives? I heard it was Scrumptious but I was under the impression it was Grace.

April 25, 2011 10:27 PM
By Truly (not verified)

Well personally I prefer the name spelled "Truly" but then that is my name. I'm 55 and in those years I've found 3 others with the name, one of which was old enough to be my grandmother so the name has been around for quite a few years. There's been quite a few more added in more recent years as the name has become better known and more popular. I've always had tremendously positive comments on my name. I will say however that when paired with an unusualy last name it's quite the challenge when leaving call back messages and in business introductions.

October 23, 2011 9:24 PM

All 3 names are truly stupid, in my opinion.

May 20, 2012 12:40 PM

My daughter Truly Rose is 16 today

January 20, 2014 7:57 PM

My 13 year old Granddaughter's name is TRULI....