New Year's First Baby Names 2011: A Little Ditty About Jax and Cai-Ann

New Year's First Baby Names 2011: A Little Ditty About Jax and Cai-Ann
flickr/markus r.

The first baby names used in the US each year are given to each state's New Year's Babies, those newborns arriving closest to midnight on the first night of the year. In 2011, these 50+ names offer a snapshot of a diverse naming culture. 2011's first babies include Corabelle, Nicasio, Princess; Finnegan, Carmelo, Bijou and Briar.

A is a favorite letter (Alejandra, Allyson, Addison, Annikah, Aden) as are J (Jodie, JiNayla, Jax, Jordan) and C (Chloe, Cooper, Clio, Colton, Charlie).   Maya, Emma and Willow all show up more than once. And place names? How about Memphis and Jersey?

In Oregon, the first baby (Paul Silas) was born at home. In Nevada, the first baby (Emma Marguerite) was born to a pair of moms. In North Carolina, the first baby of 2011 (Alisha Rae) is twins with the last baby of 2010 (Ashton Parker, born 11:58 p.m. NYE). The same thing happened in Illinois, where Madisen Carin was born at 11:59 p.m. NYE and twin Aiden Everette was born at midnight.

Some of the best name stories come from regional winners. The mother of Tucson's (but not Arizona's) first baby, Aurelio, copped to scoping baby names online: "I was looking on the computer and it stood out. I had never heard the name so I chose it for him." A Western New York baby is named Pretty Moo. (She's the daughter of Burmese refugees Eh Moo and Yo Mu.) A South Carolina runner-up is named Lyracist Semaj (dad James' name backwards; 4:27 a.m).

Virginia's almost New Year's Baby was Memphis Preston Lee (12:49 a.m.), and West Virginia's  was Briar Morgan (1:03 a.m.) And a Name Candy special nod to Oregon's Finnegan Keen and Corabelle Blue. Born at 12:59 and 1 a.m., the twins weren't the state's first babies, but we find their names especially, well, keen.

First Babies Born in Each State (and Selected Runners-Up), 2011

Alabama: Daniel Christian (12:21 a.m.)

Alaska: Nicasio Guytonao (2:54 a.m.)

Arizona: Charlie (a girl, born at "exactly midnight")

Arkansas: Willow (12:50 a.m.)

California: Isabel (12:01 a.m.)

Colorado: Emma (30 seconds after midnight); Evan Rhodes (before 12:01); Lincoln (before 12:01)

Connecticut: Mya Lauriana (12:20 a.m.)

Delaware: Nevaeh Nicole (12:59 a.m.)

Florida: Samantha Marilyn (12:01:30 a.m.)

Georgia: Layla Joyce (12:00:30 a.m.)

Hawaii: Not Yet Named Girl (12:01 a.m.)

Idaho: Allyson Grace (12:17 a.m.)

Illinois: Alejandra Maya (one second after midnight); Aiden Everette (midnight); Clio Eunbe (1:40 a.m.)

Indiana: Grace Kaymarie (12:08 a.m.)

Iowa: Addison Winkie* (2:59 a.m.)

Kansas: Carson Samuel (45 seconds after midnight)

Kentucky: Samuel (midnight); Elle Bijou tu Nha (12:15 a.m.)

Louisiana: Carmelo O'mari (5 seconds after midnight)

Maine: Dominic John (12:16 a.m.)

Maryland:  Olivia Rose (a few seconds after the New Year); Emma Margaret (1:19 a.m.)

Massachusetts: Jeremiah Joel (10 seconds after midnight)

Michigan: Annikah (12:06 a.m.)

Minnesota: Lucas Scott (12:03 a.m.)

Mississippi: Chloe Marie (12:36 a.m.)

Missouri: Aden Jose (12:28 a.m.)

Montana: Ginger (12:18 a.m.)

Nebraska: Randee Lu (4:06 a.m.)

Nevada: Emma Marguerite (12:02 a.m.)

New Hampshire: Tyler (12:24 a.m.)

New Jersey: Leticia (15 seconds after); Jocelyn Skye (18 seconds after); Jyena (12:02 a.m.); Bianca Victoria (12:05 a.m.)

New Mexico: Lexi Love (12:22 a.m.)

New York: Princess Avana (at the "stroke of midnight"); No Name Yet Girl (12:00:00); Kacper (12:00:57 a.m.)

North Carolina: Alisha Rae (stroke of midnight); Beka Lane (stroke of midnight)

North Dakota: Sebastian Lawrence (7:43 p.m.)

Ohio: JaNiyla Marie (12:01 a.m.); Anthony (12:02 a.m.)

Oklahoma: Kevin Wayne, Jr. (12:35 a.m.)

Oregon: Paul Silas (12:09 a.m.); Finnegan Keen (12:59 a.m.) and Corabelle Blue (1 a.m.)

Pennsylvania: Braydon Cooper (12:06 a.m.)

Rhode Island: Jodie (12:15 a.m.)

South Carolina: Alexander (3:18 a.m.); Kayson Elliott (3:19 a.m.)

South Dakota: Livvy Ashlyn (4:10 a.m.); Jersey Mae (5:07 a.m.)

Tennessee: Willow Rose (12:44 a.m.); Luna Brooks (1:35 a.m.)

Texas: Deborah Cai-Ann ("as the clock struck midnight")

Utah: Name Not Released (12:09 a.m.); Imaikalani Arthur (12:23 a.m.)

Vermont: Jax Kohen (1:50 a.m.)

Virginia: Colton Jackson (midnight); Jordyn Cornell (10 seconds after midnight)

Washington: Alaina Darlene (12:04 a.m.); Oliver James (4:36 a.m.)

West Virginia: Mikah (girl; 12:36 a.m.); Briar Morgan (1:03 a.m.)

Wisconsin: Toby (12:06 a.m.); Maniah (12:07 a.m.)

Wyoming: Riley (8:44 a.m.)

*The baby names here are first and middle names, save this one. We're pretty sure the last name "Winkie" makes this name.

Check out last year's list. And don't forget the 2011 first baby born on US soil: Peter Gabriel Imus.

What names on the list do you like? Do you know any babies born on 1/1/11?

--L.R.

Comments

January 3, 2011 11:34 PM

I don't see Illinois listed. Could the first 2011 baby be the second twin in this pair, perhaps?

January 4, 2011 8:46 AM
By Lane

Thanks, anon! Illinois is now included.

January 4, 2011 10:21 AM
By kiki (not verified)

I *love* Sebastian Lawrence from North Dakota and Luna Brooks from Tennessee. Others that I quite like are Willow Rose (despite being heavily botanical), Jersey Mae, Emma Marguerite (despite the popularity of Emma), Bianca Victoria, Clio Eunbe (not too sure how this mn would be pronounced though. Anyone know the pronunciation or origin of Eunbe?), Annikah, Carmelo, and Paul Silas.

In NJ: Is Jyena like Hyena with a J? That just seems awful to me. Is this a foreign name with some sort of history that I'm ignorant of or an unfortunate invention? Other, in my opinion, questionable names: Wisconsin's Maniah (Mariah with an n or a thoughtless variation of the popular Aniyah that, in any case, sounds like Maniacal), Kacper of NY (I'm assuming they're pronouncing the c with an s sound rather than a k sound so it's an alternate spelling of Caspar and is not pronounced Kak-per) seems destined to a lifetime of mis-pronunciations, and Kayson in SC seems particularly made-up. Never a huge fan of Nevaeh, or Princess (dog name to me). There are a few more but these are the ones that really stand out.

January 4, 2011 11:58 AM
By Lane

@kiki, according to IndianHinduNames.com, "Jyena" is an Indian or Hindu name meaning Princess.

So New York's Princess = New Jersey's Jyena?

January 4, 2011 2:16 PM

Yikes. Some of these names are horrific.

January 4, 2011 3:17 PM

Having lived and taught in NJ, I am going with the pronunciation of Jyena as either:

Ja-yay-na or Ji-a-na

January 4, 2011 4:26 PM
By Mom (not verified)

My favorite name on the list is "Toby"
however I also like;
Finnegan
Beka Lane
Ginger
Sebastian
Olivia Rose
Bianca Victoria
Emma
Oliver

January 4, 2011 5:45 PM
By Top 10 Name of the 70s (not verified)

OK - so based on this if I were to ever move to the US it would have to be somewhere like Maryland or Washington!!

January 5, 2011 1:45 PM

hehe I love: Lucas Scott - which is the first and last name of Chad Michael Murray's character on One Tree Hill

I also really liked -> Samantha Marilyn and Kacper (if that's supposed to be pronounced like Casper, if not than it'd be Kack-Per which isn't too pleasant)

It be really cute if the girl's middle name is Winkie! it's such a cute name, I know someone who's NN is Winkie and I think it's really adorable.

January 5, 2011 3:28 PM
By Els (not verified)

Where did this list come from? Because I know someone in WA who had a baby at 2 am...

January 5, 2011 7:14 PM
By Lane

We made the list by researching the earliest reported baby we could find from each state, but if you know of an earlier baby somewhere let us know!

January 6, 2011 2:49 PM

the washington baby is incorrect. I know someone who had her baby at 12:04am in Tacoma, Wa

January 6, 2011 2:49 PM

January 6, 2011 11:45 PM
By jaycob wendel & adria miller (not verified)

Hey our baby livvy of huron southdakota was born 2011 @ 4:10a.m

January 7, 2011 11:03 AM
By Victoria Shepherd (not verified)

Being a labor nurse I hear alot of great and not so great names. My favorites so far are Stella and Lennon. I also like Avery and Cooper.

January 7, 2011 3:22 PM
By Lane

I've updated the list to reflect information in the comments. If you know of an earlier baby, please include a link!

January 7, 2011 4:00 PM
By another Laura (not verified)

I like Paul Silas the best. I don't really care for any of the girls names.

January 8, 2011 6:38 PM
By elleireland (not verified)

Some of the names are terrible, but some are creative and beautiful. The Name Lady is right, Finnegan and Corabelle are so fabulous that they deserve a shout-out.

Here's to all the babies born that day. May they have happy and meaningful lives!

February 1, 2011 4:31 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Lucas Scott is the name of a TV character, but understandable as the show has long since waned from popularity and Lucas and Scott as both moderately popular names. And they do sound good together with all those hard consonants. Didn't see any name I absolutely loved but plenty I liked- Emma Marguerite and Alejandra Maya in particular.

Princess sounds like a yapping dog and Lexi Love sounds like an exotic dancer.

February 11, 2011 4:24 PM

Jyena means princess and pronounced including J. not like "Juan" where u exclude J in pronounciation. It is not an unfortunate invention. And the origion of word is Sanskrit..if u know what it is..it is one of the world's oldest language.

March 16, 2011 3:39 PM

I am the mother of the child from Iowa. Winkie is her last name. Her full name is Addison Marie Winkie...just to clarify a few things if you are questioning them.

January 5, 2012 3:27 PM
By Kimpossible (not verified)

I dont know how you hear Maniacal in - Aniyah- pronounced A -nigh- ah. I think it melodic. and you can find the meaning of this in a baby name book.

January 6, 2012 12:18 AM

OMG! Some of these names are HORRIBLE!! The first place award goes to Elle Bijou Tu Nha. That sounds like "Elle buy you tuna." or "come here, I'll buy you tuna." This poor child is going to hate her parents sooo much!

January 6, 2012 1:42 AM
By Randee Lee (not verified)

i like the person who named their child randee. thts an awesome name. is the child a girl or a boy?

January 6, 2012 1:44 AM
By Randee Lee (not verified)

i like the person who named their child randee. awesome name i think. is the child a boy or a girl?

January 6, 2012 3:45 PM

you never know what ethnicity they are, dont be so rude to them. thats discrimination

January 6, 2012 5:19 PM
By ANONYMOUS (not verified)

well my sons name is CAYSON BLAKE. I did make it up, but with me being a mother, i would never criticize how parents choose the name of their children. you should have more respect for them and yourself. hope everyone has a great day! :)

January 8, 2012 4:20 AM
By Maryana (not verified)

@Kimpossible: Kiki was saying that she hears "maniacal" in Maniah, not Aniyah. She was just speculating that Maniah might be some kind of weird reworking of the name Aniyah.

May 7, 2012 9:50 AM
By Jamie (not verified)

Wyomings is wrong. My son was born at 7:38am so he would have been before Riley. His name is Jaron.

July 31, 2012 6:03 AM
By ueeao (not verified)

It is always have much excitement to have new born baby and to decide his name,you guys helped a lot in this topic,find us and get an other of excitement on this topic like baby quotes

September 6, 2012 1:59 AM
By hnb (not verified)

It is always have much excitement to have new born baby and to decide his name,you guys helped a lot in this topic. visit this

January 11, 2013 8:06 AM

Santritz will be available via Potong Pasir MRT position on the North South east Range. Viewing bugis position as well as the city position is therefore very genuine.
It is also near to many cafes along the higher serangoon position as well as NEX shopping middle.

January 21, 2013 7:13 AM
By Lia (not verified)

First name is normal while the rest may suggest this name came from a different culture. Clearly an american family would not have named their baby that. So bottle up that ignorance the next time you want to comment...

March 4, 2013 3:52 PM

I loved the name Jersey Mae...very creative...however I do have to agree there are some pretty bad choices made here...I think male names for girls, like Charlie and Randee are becoming very popular and I like them. I have 3 children and tried to be creative but not too far-fetched... Hailie Anne, Cadence Mary and Joshua Adam Jr. Happy naming :)

March 11, 2013 6:05 AM
By Texas Guitar Shops (not verified)

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprеntice while you amenԁ your
ѕite, how can і subѕсribe for
а blog site? Тhe account aіded me a acceptable ԁeаl.
I had been tіny bit acquainted of this your brοadсast рrovided bright clear concept

Here is my pagе; Texas Guitar Shops

May 24, 2013 11:38 AM
By beginner713 (not verified)

For girls I could see something sweet like Julia, Joelle or Jemma.
research papers on information security

July 3, 2013 3:01 AM
By un6660 (not verified)

Since there are so many different ways to pronounce the name Andrea, we (and later our daughter herself) have always had to let people know the version she prefers. After they know her, then there is no problem.
edit thesis

July 16, 2013 9:21 AM
By un6660 (not verified)

The U.S. has a fairly large Italian American population, so more people may recognize it than you think. Plus even the simplest of names can be mispronounced and misspelled.
graduate school personal statement editing

November 16, 2013 8:25 AM
By cv general (not verified)

Frankly, we haven't analyzed this to the point that we stand firmly on that calculation. But from Edge Studio's perspective as a premier voice production and training facility, we can attest that, for many reasons, the voice over field continues to grow, and the need for voice over talent is booming.http://www.generalresume.org/general-resumes-services/general-cv-writing-services/
cv general

December 9, 2013 6:29 AM
By Amynbep10 (not verified)

That was pretty nice post on unique baby names. I never thought that naming a baby would become such a trendy process. I was excited to see the names given to child. Anyways, thanks a lot for sharing the post as I enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing. best-snoringremedies.com

December 29, 2013 12:02 AM

I have baby that was born on the eve of Christmas and until now I have not made up my mine what name would I give to him. - Scott Sohr Nashville

January 7, 2014 4:32 AM
By baymak kombi servisleri (not verified)

klima servisi The Grandfather, Don Pacio Luciano, a reasonable, honourable man of integrity had sought justice after the deadly attacks on his family by suspected members of the klima servisleri notorious Sicilian Cosa Nostra. This is vestel klima servisi an outstanding story of love, honour, vengeance and astonishing baymak kombi servisi revelation of the secret operations……A note about those adjective-plus color names that women came up with but men didn’t: Women got those from department stores and drug stores. baykan kombi servisi Every one of those colors

January 7, 2014 4:34 AM
By baymak kombi servisleri (not verified)

is credible klima servisi as the name of a shade of eye shadow or lip gloss.I too kept my browser open for a long time when Time first came out. Alas, demirdökümkombi servisi time took it’s toll, and while I sometime demirdöküm servis s went back to check it, it gradually left my conscious demirdöküm soba servisi - eca kombi servisi

March 9, 2014 7:15 AM
By Alexmark (not verified)

Android APK

March 14, 2014 10:21 PM
By メンズ腕時計 (not verified)

レンズが凹レンズになることBvlgari腕時計もある。また、近視の目は老眼にならないなどと言われるがそれは間違いで、近視の目でも一般に40歳程度の年齢を過ぎれば、遠距離が明視できる眼鏡やコンタクトレンズを装用したままでは徐々

April 11, 2014 8:33 PM
By IggyPop73 (not verified)

This site is the cutest! I love picking baby's name. The name one chooses for their kid can really determine who they will be in the future!

July 21, 2014 8:24 PM
By janganmodot (not verified)

I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. review vizzy.us safety url

July 26, 2014 7:11 PM
By jackdon (not verified)

simple and easy to understand advice and steps to get your hair removal for men ex back, that this may be one of the only programs worth spending money on, to make sure you don’t screw up with your ex.

August 24, 2014 10:18 AM
By gabriel (not verified)

I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is current and very informative, I want to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job gamecih apk

September 3, 2014 12:30 AM
By Rak Bus (not verified)

Hemorrhoids (stacks) are distended or ruptured blood vessels positioned within (internal) or perhaps beyond the anal sphincter (outside). At the very least 50 % the To the north Us population is affected with the issue at least one time throughout their life. They are like varicose blood vessels located on the hip and legs and may be in the same way agonizing, scratchy and unpleasant. Hemorrhoids are caused by something that boosts tension from the pelvic blood vessels for prolonged periods of time.

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.