Christina Applegate's 'Quadruple-Bullseye' Baby Name, Sadie

Christina Applegate's 'Quadruple-Bullseye' Baby Name, Sadie
Fame Pictures

Maybe she reads Baby Name Wizard? Christina Applegate and her husband, Martyn LeNoble, have welcomed a daughter named Sadie Grace LeNoble. Applegate's rep confirmed the news to PEOPLE.

About a year back, Laura Wattenberg offered Sadie as the perfect name for an American Girl doll charged with representing her historical period (the early twentieth century) while appealing to contemporary namers. Wattenberg wrote that Sadie hits "the quadruple-bullseye of Jewish heritage, period feel, informal style and modern appeal."

Which makes it also perfect for Christina Applegate. Sadie, originally a nickname for Sarah just as Charlie was once short for Charlotte, has a modern, casual style. It also has that 1880's revival quality that's like celebrity-catnip. Plus, it gently telegraphs Applegate's Jewish heritage.

We can't extend props to the middle name, however. Grace may offer a virtuous approach to life--as well as gracing the perennially admired Grace Kelly--but it's tired. Just look at how many celebrity babies have this one, especially in the middle slot. (As an aside, on virtue names, we recently discovered that Doutzen Kroes' much-maligned Phyllon has Joy for a middle name. Phyllon Joy? Feelin' Joy?) As a middle name, Grace is shaping up to be this decade's Marie: goes-with-everything and therefore, ubiquitous.

Do you like Sadie? What middle name would you put with it?

--L.R.

Comments

February 1, 2011 12:26 PM
By Brittney (not verified)

My oldest daughter is named Sadie. I LOVED it! Still do. But man oh man, you'd be surprised how many people let us know that their golden retriever is named Sadie. Apparently it's the 4th most popular name for big dogs. Might have changes my mind a few years ago if I had known that lol

February 1, 2011 12:27 PM
By Cassie (not verified)

Well, I love the name Sadie, but I have to disagree about Grace. We chose Grace for our baby Danika's middle name not because it sounded good, but because of the meaning and its significance for our family. :)

February 1, 2011 12:43 PM
By Susan (not verified)

I think of names like Anne, Marie and Lynn as the filler middle names of my generation. I think Grace and Rose are lovely names, but I think they may be the filler middle names of theirs! They are feminine and sound nice with the longer first names that are popular now, so I certainly understand the appeal.

February 1, 2011 1:08 PM
By Calypso (not verified)

I love the name Sadie, but I know more dogs named Sadie than people. Many people I know consider it more of a pet name than a person name.

February 1, 2011 3:19 PM
By Mom (not verified)

I Love the name Sadie... it makes me think of Sadie,Sadie,married lady that's me.(from Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand) I Love that movie!!

February 1, 2011 3:47 PM
By Twil (not verified)

Yes, Grace and Rose are the Leah's and Elizabeth's of this generation. With Sadie I'd use something short and monosyllabic, like Grace, but with more spunk. Like Kit or Rhea.

February 1, 2011 4:17 PM
By Saskia (not verified)

I want to echo Brittney and Calypso's comments about 'Sadie' - it's a lovely name, but for me it will always be very, very strongly associated with dogs I've known.

February 1, 2011 4:27 PM
By Draiad (not verified)

Is Christina Applegate really Jewish? While I love the name Sadie, I was very surprised to read about Applegate's Jewish roots. You don't hear about many Jewish Christinas...

February 1, 2011 4:29 PM
By Draiad (not verified)

Also, I know a 2 year old named Sadie Reese. I think the names complement one another perfectly.

February 1, 2011 8:11 PM
By Jane Asher (not verified)

Along the lines of Twil's suggestion of a short and monosyllabic mn, like Grace, but with more spunk, I have a 10-year-old niece named Sadie Kay who is absolutely in love with her name.

February 2, 2011 3:53 PM

Sadie Jane gives the same short, classic feel but with a bit more distinction, IMO.

February 2, 2011 4:28 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

I love the name Sadie and have never met a dog with the name, but if this is true it would give me pause. I absolutely abhor the practice of giving dogs human names, exactly because of things like this. I grew up with practically EVERYBODY telling me they had a dog with the same name as me, and finally I started going by my middle name which hurt my mom's feelings a little bit. Later in life, I was banned from using one of my favorite baby names because it reminded my husband of a cat he had as a child. Seriously, how hard is it to come up with non-human animal names?

February 2, 2011 5:50 PM
By mk (not verified)

Sadie is a cute name. I like some of the suggestions here better than Grace for a middle name with Sadie.

I love and use human names for pets, maybe because I don't plan on having kids to name. I don't think it should deter anyone from using a name they love if they know a pet with the same name. I once met a cat with my name. I thought it was cool.

February 3, 2011 4:54 AM
By Top 10 Name of the 70s (not verified)

In Australia there is a famous song called "Sadie the Cleaning Lady"!! That's the first thing I think of when I hear Sadie.

Had never thought of it as a dog's name though - love it for a Lab! The common big dog name here is Molly - shame, because I love that!

February 4, 2011 3:08 PM

I grew up loving the name - then married into a family with a family dog, Sadie, so I won't be having any Sadies myself:/

February 8, 2011 1:41 PM
By Maranda (not verified)

I love the name Sadie; it's my puppy's name. :)

Very nice choice, it's quite timeless and works for all ages.

February 8, 2011 6:50 PM
By Karma (not verified)

@Top 10 Name of the 70s - Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of John Farnham when they hear the name "Sadie".

I also think of a Bette Midler movie where there were two sets of twins named Rose and Sadie. -shrug-

February 11, 2011 4:38 PM

Sadie Serendipity...?

February 12, 2011 8:22 PM
By Lisa (not verified)

I'm in Australia too... *sings* "Sadie, the cleaning lady"

I can't get past that enough to have considered middle names to go with it LOL

December 15, 2012 12:55 PM
By Sadie (not verified)

Sadie is my name and I like it (-:
My middle name is Mia so it's Sadie Mia.

August 30, 2013 8:21 AM

I love the name Sadie, so we named our daughter Sadie Francis (after her great grandpa) we call her Sadie Fran. I think it's to bad when "human" names are used for animals, but whatever, it doesn't change my daughter. I also think people should keep opions to themselves about parents name choices, who are we to judge anybody else & what they like!

April 6, 2016 6:31 PM
By Aubrey (not verified)

My daughter is Sadie Marie. Ironically, the only Sadie I ever knew before her was a red poodle we had when I was young. Lol.