Nacho: Snack Food or Baby Name?

Nacho: Snack Food or Baby Name?

OK, we admit it!  Our mouths were watering following our friends' at Food Network's Nacho Cookoff this week.  And now, we can't stop thinking about Nachos.  Will we make them for our Super Bowl Party?  Can we serve them as a "healthy" snack for our school-aged children? (What? They have cheese AND veggies...if jalapenos count). And most importantly, can we name our baby after them?

Yes, Nacho is a real name.  You may think it's funny-ha-ha if you've heard of the 2006 Jack Black comedy Nacho Libre, about a Mexican monk who conducts a secret life as an (amateur) pro wrestler, but Nacho is in fact a name we hear quite often in Spanish-speaking countries.

Nacho is the most common nickname for Ignacio, a popular name that currently ranks at #12 in Argentina, #16 in Chile and #55 in Spain.  Believe it or not, Ignacio has even been a consistent presence in the top 1000 here in the United States since the Social Security Administration started tracking such things in the 1880s. (By comparison, the Anglo version of Ignacio, Ignatius, is little-used today anywhere in the world, having peaked in the 1910s at 636 and fallen out of the top 1000 entirely by the 1930s.)

What do you think of the name Nacho? Can you think of other snack-food baby name crossovers? And if you could name a baby after your favorite food, what would it be?

--J.B.

Comments

February 5, 2011 1:15 PM

haha i always thought that name was funny... My favorite food is ravioli, but I think its a little far-fetched as a baby name. I cant tell if "Ravioli" would be for a boy or a girl? Maybe unisex; haha no loving parent would ever use that name!

February 5, 2011 1:48 PM
By jennienli (not verified)

But if you love ravioli you could name your baby Ravi to honor your favorite food.

February 5, 2011 2:50 PM

I think Nacho or other snack foods are great for nicknames. However, I pity the child with a legal name of a snack food. That's is taking it a bit too far.

February 5, 2011 5:04 PM
By Lane

Clementine! (Too healthy to count as "snack food"?)

February 5, 2011 7:12 PM

Ashley Judd's character in the movie "Where the Heart Is" had five kids who all had snack names: Brownie, Praline, Baby Ruth... anyone remember the other two?

February 5, 2011 9:17 PM

When I visited Spain on a high school trip, our tour bus driver's name was Nacho. I think we all thought he was joking. Guess not!

February 5, 2011 11:05 PM

I'm all about the cheese names Brie for a girl and Colby for a boy.

February 7, 2011 12:28 PM
By Sue (not verified)

That reminds me of a I conversation I had with my sister about a year ago. She was trying to remember the name of our cousin's second son and she said, "What did they name him ... Havarti?" Me, totally cracking up, "No, Colby." "Well I knew it was some kind of cheese." We then proceeded to come up with cheese-names, our favorite, "Monterey Jack." It even works as a trendy place name.

February 8, 2011 1:01 PM

But isn't Nacho a nickname for Ignacio, a perfectly respectable name?

February 8, 2011 1:08 PM
By Kales (not verified)

As soon as I found out I was pregnant, we called the embryo Nacho. It was very natural. Everyone referred to it as Nacho, before we knew he was a boy. Sadly, it didn't translate into his later life - we all call him by his given name now.

February 8, 2011 1:20 PM
By Erin (not verified)

Nachos (the snack food) were named Nacho's Especiales after their creator, Ignacio Anaya, in the 40s.
I can't think of any snack food names I would actually use on a baby, but I'm pregnant and have been seriously craving Bugles and Goldfish for months. If they were even close to acceptable names, my son may be in danger of sporting one or the other.

February 8, 2011 3:36 PM
By mariadeacero (not verified)

When I studied in Madrid in college, I had a boyfriend named Nacho - short for Ignacio. I think he mentioned it was quite popular in Spain because the founder of the Jesuits was an Ignacio.
Anyway, I remember my best friend's mom asking me one time, "So, how's Taco doing?" No one in the US could believe it was a real name over there like Bob or Bill. I think Ignacio has a much better ring to it than Ignatius.

February 8, 2011 5:01 PM
By Acolorfulworld (not verified)

I found the comment by mariadeacero particularly funny because my cousin's fiancee's name is Nacho (he's from Spain) and my ex Uncle's (divorced from my aunt) nickname was Taco (it's short for a very old fashioned Spanish name Plutarco.) One cousin was called Gordita (think Taco Bell or traditional mexican food dish) when she was a baby. My mom called me Pumpkin & my sister Sugar Plum. My dad always called my mom Honey. Also, another cousin's name is Dirce (Portuguese for Dulce which is Candy in English), and yet another cousin's nickname is Juicy (short for Jussara another Portuguese name.) I've also nicknamed our daughters Beans, Peanut & Honey. So I guess food names run in our family;)

February 8, 2011 9:44 PM
By Jennie

@acolorfulworld...I think there's a whole other blog topic in your comment!

February 9, 2011 6:00 AM
By The Foxymoron (not verified)

I have a friend who nearly used the name Ignatius for her son - his nickname was to be Iggy. I love it. Nacho? Not so much.

March 31, 2013 12:04 AM
By Keven Wigfield (not verified)

I had saved to favorites your blog post as this web-site boasts some valuable tips. I am honestly happy with this blog posts quality and presentation.

June 15, 2013 9:09 AM
By baby products (not verified)

Snack food baby name is a very interesting name for the baby. People give many type of names for their baby but many people give some special name as they like.

July 27, 2016 2:39 AM
By Jacinto Convit (not verified)

My son name is Napoleon. It is also known as a dessert . For more name syou can check on this website called Babynology