Top Chef Baby Alert: Zuzu Peterson

Another Top Chef baby to announce.  This week we learned that Top Chef: Just Desserts contestant Tania Peterson and her husband Phil welcomed their first child, a baby girl named Zuzu Audrey

Yes, Zuzu, just like little Zuzu from the classic holiday film, It's a Wonderful Life.  Zuzu is one of those high-Scrabble value names that so many contemporary parents love, but also one that many are trepiditious to choose for fear of being "too out there." (In fact, when you heard Zuzu, you may have thought "Zhu Zhu Pets" before you thought "It's a Wonderful Life.")

However, Zuzu really is a classic name, or at least a classic nickname. The name Zuzu comes from Zuzana a Czech/Slovak form of Susana, according to BabyNameWizard.com.  We're actually kind of surprised that this is the first celebrity baby named Zuzu in our Celebrity Baby Names Database. And paired with the middle name Audrey, which recalls 1950s-era film star Audrey Hepburn, we think Zuzu has a sweet mid-century flair.

Do you agree? What do you think of the name Zuzu Audrey? Do you have any favorite names that you're considering but you fear are too "out there"?

--J.B.

Comments

February 14, 2011 7:58 AM
By Lane

I think Zuzu Audrey is great. It's true I'd be more likely to use Zuzu as a nickname (in fact I do, for our dog Zoe), but paired with Audrey it takes on some polish. Thumbs up!

February 15, 2011 9:28 AM
By Kristin (not verified)

I love Zuzu Audrey! When we had our baby girl last year, I tried to talk my husband into naming her Susanna with the nickname Zuzu. I do love It's a Wonderful Life, and I thought Zuzu had such a spunky sweetness. My husband is a little more traditional, though, and didn't go for it at all!

February 15, 2011 1:01 PM
By Valerie (not verified)

It would be a cute nickname, but sounds too babyish for an adult to me- I think it will be a bit of a drawback for her later... although I guess she could use Audrey then.

February 15, 2011 4:05 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Ew, hate. I actually like Zuzu as a nickname for Susannah which is one of my favorite names. But as a full name? Ick. It reminds be a Zazu from The Lion King.

I adore Audrey. It;s my grandmother's name and I've always loved that and Audrey Hepburn is a huge bonus. In fact, Susannah Audrey is a combo I've been kicking around for my distant future daughter. So thank god Tania not a "real" celebrity and I wouldn't be accused of copying.

February 15, 2011 4:53 PM

i'd name her Zuzana Audrey, then nickname her ZuZu-which sounds like a great nick name, name for a poodle or pet, etc.

February 15, 2011 11:43 PM
By PJR (not verified)

Initials spell Zap. I like that.

March 27, 2011 1:14 AM

My daughter is named Zuzu after the film Zuzu. We found out later she was born on Jimmy Stewart's 100th birthday and ironically has blonde curly hair, like the film character, my husband and I are brunettes with straight hair.

March 27, 2011 1:18 AM

My daughter, Zuzu, born last year is a ZAP initial, too. I think that is funny...

October 12, 2012 6:43 PM
By Libby (not verified)

We have a Zuzu! Her name is Susan Wren on the birth cert but we call her Zuzu all of the time...we <3 It's a Wonderful Life! We like old fashioned names. Her big sisters are Gracie, Hattie, Mabel & Essie :)

December 23, 2012 9:24 PM
By JJ (not verified)

My 4 year old daughter is Audrey Susannah-- called Zuzu! How funny, I thought the combo was original ;)

March 30, 2013 1:17 PM
By Merissa Volkers (not verified)

After reading the item I felt pleasantly impressed. It's actually penned rather well. I hope that the other target audience might also feel how I feel after reading your piece. I am very pleased that I read this. It's very instructive and very educational and I also really discovered a lot as a result.