The Name Serene

The name Serene came to our attention last week when reporter Serene Branson was propelled into the spotlight after temporarily losing her power of speech on air thanks to a complex migraine. She is now fine, and her tranquil name has continued to interest us.

Serene is in some ways a sonic natural that follows a standard name sound (found in Charlene, Eileen, and Celine). However, the form Serene remains unfamiliar, perhaps because most word names are nouns. (Prudence, Verity, River, Willow, Cash.)

In fact, though Serena is traditional and familiar through tennis star Serena Williams, it's the noun form Serenity that is the top-100 hit.

Contemplating the name Serene, we compiled a list of other adjective names. SincereConstant, Earnest and August are boy's names. For girls? Tiny. Are we missing any?

Can you think of other adjective names? What are your favorite tranquil names?

--L.R.

Comments

February 22, 2011 10:28 PM
By Megan (not verified)

Gabby
Precious
Lovely

I would also argue that Fancy is a name (at least it is in a song) but it is not in the BNW database.

February 23, 2011 9:43 AM
By kiki (not verified)

Color names are adjectives: Blue, Scarlett, Violet.

Remember is a verb name.

February 23, 2011 10:04 AM
By Lane

@Megan: here's a behind the scenes Namipedia moment: we once deliberately removed Fancy on the grounds that a parent wouldn't use it today. What do you think, did we make the wrong call?

February 24, 2011 8:57 PM
By Megan (not verified)

@Lane
I fully support the removal of that doozy! Especially since it still exists in song, you didn't delete it from history.
I cannot imagine a parent using it today (unless they were the type to make poor choices, had twins and were fans of the "Fancy Nancy" books!)

February 24, 2011 11:00 PM
By joye (not verified)

Sunny
Merry
Frank

February 25, 2011 2:17 AM

Poetry fans or maybe fans of Doctor Who ^.^ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Mott

February 25, 2011 10:23 PM
By Elisa (not verified)

Lucky, True, Lacey, Misty...

March 1, 2011 2:06 PM

Do they have to be English adjectives? Adjective names I've met - Winsome, Bonnie, Cara, Aimee (girls); Early (boy)

March 1, 2011 5:15 PM

My niece's middle name is Fancy. It suits her quite well.

March 1, 2011 6:49 PM
By Dee (not verified)

I'm a substitute teacher and a boy I once had in class was named Friendly, and I've met two girls named Unique. One of them spelled it Uneek. I also knew a girl named Secret. yo

March 2, 2011 2:20 AM

First thought was Silkie, but I also like Dawn.

October 10, 2013 10:22 AM

This may be a good name for their baby and if I do have a child I might use this name too. - Kelley D. Hamilton Salem Oregon

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.