Brit Reality Star Myleene Klass' Heroic Turn For Baby No. 2

Brit Reality Star Myleene Klass' Heroic Turn For Baby No. 2
Fame Pictures

British reality TV personality Myleene Klass welcomed her second daughter over the weekend and gave her a first name with a strong and courageous meaning: Hero Harper Quinn.

The former Hear'Say singer, who now has her own children's clothing line, and her fianc
é Graham Quinn reportedly loved the name Hero from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. In Shakespeare's work, the female character Hero has a passionate love affair with Claudio and the story centers on their wedding. The new parents were also inspired by the mythical priestess Hero from Greek mythology. She too was part of a love story -- Hero falls in love with Leander, who would swim across a dangerous body of water just to see her every night.

Despite its use in these well-known stories, the name Hero has never made the Top-1000 baby names list. Harper, on the other hand, which means "harp player" and was popularized by author Harper Lee, has become very common in recent years with it currently sitting at #174 on the list. Last fall, Neil Patrick Harris welcomed Harper Grace.

Hero joins big sister Ava Bailey Quinn, who, unlike the newborn, has an extremely common name -- currently #5. According to reports, Myleene and Graham named Ava after legendary actress Ava Gardner, who is thought to have influenced many parents who gave that name to their little girls. Many other celebrities moms have daughters named Ava: newlywed Reese Witherspoon, Heather Locklear, most recently, Melissa Rycroft, to name a few.

A funny tidbit though is that Myleene and Graham almost went with another name for Ava. In her book, My Bump and Me: From Morning Sickness to Motherhood - An Honest Diary of My Pregnancy,
Myleene talked about falling in love with the name Vegas. But Graham wasn't a fan. "Graham thinks I keep coming up with ones that sound like showgirls or Austro-Hungarian aristocrats, and the names he picks have no vowels, because he's Irish," she has said. So final contenders became Rose and Ava and when they spoke about the latter, Myleene got a kick from the baby, so they went with that.

In her book, Myleene, whose own name means merciful, describes her name selecting process: "One of my friends told me a fun way of choosing a name to pass the taste barrier: it should be a name that fits the life of a lawyer, a rock star and a poet."

We think Hero fits that criteria!

For those looking for more mainstream names for girls that have heroic meanings -- and are a little more lawyerly than rock star -- check out Hayley (which comes from the Norse word "haela" meaning "hero"), Laurel (in classical times, a crown was made from bay laurel leaves for heroes) and Courtney (the nickname of a medieval hero whose nose was cut off in battle).

Are you a fan of the name Hero? Think it will catch on for other parents? And how do you think it meshes with sister Ava's name? Talk back below.

--S.B.

Comments

March 28, 2011 1:03 PM
By Jennie

I definitely think Hero could catch on... not as a Top-10 name, but as a hipster name with a literary pedigree.

March 28, 2011 1:16 PM
By joy (not verified)

Hero is a great name. After reading this a have a whole new appreciation.

March 28, 2011 1:17 PM
By A British Laura (not verified)

I really like the name and the alliteration of Hero Harper makes it feel stronger to me.
The sibset is cute too, loving Ava and Hero.

March 28, 2011 2:11 PM
By Em (not verified)

I really like the names Hero and Harper, but I'm not sure they work as a sibset with Ava Bailey.

Ava is so common now, whilst Hero is rarely heard of. They work in a 'family' sense (I often think if they work in a greetings card, then they work generally - ie Best Wishes... Love Graham, Myleene, Ava and Hero) but not in a naming sense.

Still, a lovely name though.

March 28, 2011 2:14 PM

In the comic "Y: The Last Man", there is a major female character named Hero.

March 28, 2011 5:41 PM
By nance (not verified)

I never thought about a female connotation to the name Hero - I always thought of it as a male title (Heroine representing the woman)Interesting choice. I am sure she will like it when she is older as it is unusual and she can share the Shakespearian and Greek mythological background of her name.

March 29, 2011 2:13 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

I see Hero as more of a boys name than a girl name, and Ava does not really make sense as her sister. Ava is super feminine and very common nowadays, while Hero is at the very least gender-neutral and extremely uncommon. I like the name Hero, I just do not know if I like it in this instance. I love the literary and mythological references to it, but I wonder if Hero Harper Quinn will get tired of telling people about them later on in life. All things said, I tend to prefer unusual, feminine sounding names for girls anyway. At least Hero is unusual!

March 29, 2011 5:24 PM
By Dracotorix (not verified)

I like the name Hero! I'm sort of disappointed that it's now a celebrity name, because it's likely to become trendy or overly popular. But at the same time I'm happy that it's being used and will become more well-known.

March 30, 2011 3:54 AM

Young actor Hero Fiennes-Tiffin is the nephew of actors Ralph and Joseph Fiennes.

March 30, 2011 6:19 PM

Not a fan, I find it masculine with the popular O ending "Hugo, Leo, Nico, Theo etc) I think it clashes in style with Ava. The greeting card test sounds like the family dog has been added onto the end.

March 30, 2011 7:43 PM
By Miri (not verified)

I wonder what a good nickname for Hero could be.

March 30, 2011 9:54 PM

I love Harper but not a fan of Hero at all. And doesn't work well with big sid Ava. I see Super Hero in the near future.

March 31, 2011 5:20 AM
By wedding dress (not verified)

i really like her

March 21, 2012 6:59 PM
By pet meds (not verified)

Very interesting article. I've always been interested in knowing more about this.