Peyton Manning Welcomes M&M Twins

Peyton Manning Welcomes M&M Twins
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Peyton Manning has scored a major touchdown: the birth of twins! The Indianapolis Colts quarterback and his wife, Ashley, became first-time parents to a daughter, Mosley Thompson Manning, and son, Marshall Williams Manning, late last month and kept their baby news quiet until now.

Ladies first, so let's start with Mosley. While it has never appeared on the popular baby names list, Mosley is actually fairly common -- as a surname. Unisex names are trendy and Mosley falls into that category. Her middle name, Thompson, has traditionally been used as a male name (it appeared on the Top-1000 for boys in the 1890s), but is a family name -- it's Ashley's maiden name.

Meanwhile, Marshall, which is of Old French origin meaning "caretaker of horses," is currently ranked at #403. It was at its most popular in the late 1800s, perhaps because of U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall, the namesake of four law schools and one university. Like sister Mosley, Marshall’s middle name is a family one. Williams is Peyton's middle name as well has his mother's Olivia Manning's maiden name.

What also jumps out at us is how Peyton and Ashley used the same first letter -- in this case "M" -- for both babies. This is a popular way parents of multiples name their children because it makes them easily match. They complement one another, yet allow each child his or her own identity. Mosley and Marshall also have the double MM initials, which is something nice they can share. And as far as sibsets go, the names flow pretty well together.

In recent years, celebrity parents of twins have largely stayed away from giving their children the same first initials. Neil Patrick Harris, who welcomed his twosome last fall, named his babies Gideon Scott and Harper Grace. Not long before that, Mark McGrath became a father to Lydon Edward and Hartley Grace. Perhaps the most famous young twins right now are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Vivienne Marcheline and Knox Leon, which aren't a matched sibset either.

It will be interesting to see what Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon do when their mixed gender twins arrive... any minute now. Other popular naming conventions for twins are anagram names (like Lexa and Alex) or mirror names (Nadia and Aidan), so maybe they'll try one of those.

Back to Mosley and Marshall, they aren't the only new additions for the Mannings! Peyton's younger brother Eli Manning, quarterback for the New York Giants, and his wife, Abby, welcomed their first child, Ava Frances, a week before the twins arrived. So there will be a whole new generation of Mannings at the next family Super Bowl bash.

Are you a fan of the names Peyton and Ashley picked for the twins? Weigh in below.

--S.B.

Comments

April 9, 2011 10:14 AM
By Allison (not verified)

I have to like Marshall - it's my husband and son's name.

But Mosley? Seriously? It's terrible. What will they call her? Mo? Mose? It doesn't even have a nice sound to it. There are so many lovely M names for girls - even gender neutral sounding names - Morgan, Michal... And feminine names - Molly, Marissa, Melina...

Congrats to them, but the poor girl got the short end of the stick.

April 9, 2011 3:51 PM

Personally, I think Mosley could be cute--I actually know a girl who goes by Mo and it's cute. However, Mosely Manning--and even Marshall Manning--is a mouthful! They could have picked a different first letter! Either way...congrats to the Mannings!

April 9, 2011 3:55 PM
By Alli (not verified)

Not a big fan of either name, but I especially don't like Mosley Thompson. I don't mind androgynous names, but that sounds so masculine to me.
I like the Mannings, but they could have done better with their name choices.

April 11, 2011 9:07 AM
By Grace (not verified)

Mosley is pretty terrible.

April 11, 2011 11:09 AM
By mk (not verified)

I know a woman who goes by Mo and it's cute and fitting. But Mosley is awful.

I do like that her middle name is her mom's maiden name.

April 11, 2011 10:44 PM

Mosley reminds me of a stuffy old butler. Or for the younger crowd on her, the stuffy hotel manager of Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Anyway around it, it's stuffy.

April 12, 2011 12:38 PM

All I see is the How I met your mother reference, Ted Mosby (a little different) and his best friend Marshall but maybe I watch too much TV. :O)

April 12, 2011 12:47 PM

I Love Peyton and Ashley Manning and what every they do is fine with me, this is there choice so let it be.

April 12, 2011 2:02 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

Mosley actually doesn't sound too weird to me. If any of you are familiar with the Nickelodeon show "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide"(which aired from 2004 to 2007), one of the main characters was a girl named Jennifer Mosley. She hated being called Jennifer and went by Moze. So surprisingly from someone who really leans towards old fashioned names, I like the name!

That show in general had some interesting names considering the age of the characters. ( They were middle schoolers).
Ned Bigby
Jennifer Mosley
Simon Cook (went by Cookie)
Billy Loomer
Suzie Crabgrass
Martin Qwerly
Missy Meany
Lisa Zemo

They don't really sound like the names of middle school kids living in the 00's. Makes you wonder a bit about how they were chosen.

April 12, 2011 2:17 PM
By Scarlettb (not verified)

Nobody else is getting a "How I Met Your Mother" vibe from these? The main character on that show is Ted Mosby (so close to Mosley!) and his best friend (played by Jason Segal) is Marshall. If it were me, I would miss-call Mosley "Mosby" ALL THE TIME.

April 12, 2011 4:46 PM
By Marshall's Mom (not verified)

We named our son Marshall...4 days before the Mannings. Most of why we picked the name was because of how rarely it's used but how familiar it is, so we were kind of disappointed to see Peyton choose the name too. We live in Indy, so the name is sure to rise in popularity here. Nevertheless, as Colts fans, we're also a bit proud to have the connection!

April 12, 2011 7:35 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Maybe my fangirl colors are showing but did anyone think of How I Met Your Mother characters Marshall and Ted Mosbey? Just me? Ok then.

April 12, 2011 7:41 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Oh good, I wasn't the only one who noticed.

April 13, 2011 12:36 AM
By shadelit (not verified)

I'm going to go against the grain and say I like Mosley fine. I wouldn't have chosen it myself, but there are several hundred names I wouldn't have chosen myself that I like a lot less. Mosley has a similar feel to her mother Ashley's name, also once a surname and a masculine name. It's got a feminine ring to it, if you just close your eyes and listen. And honestly I think the nicknames Mo, Mose, Moze, Moses are all fairly cute. Obviously they put a lot of thought into making a matching sibset AND to incorporating family names, so I respect their efforts. If they were my kids, I'd probably call them Marsh and Mose.

May 25, 2011 2:30 AM
By Melinda (not verified)

I am in complete agreement with you and the person whom said their names were a mouthful.

November 29, 2013 8:46 AM

I just like the name Ashley and I am not comfortable with the name Peyton it should be Ashley and Parcon. - YORHealth

July 9, 2014 5:15 PM
July 9, 2014 5:40 PM
July 9, 2014 5:50 PM

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.