Kevin James Names Son Kannon, Reveals Family Name Pattern

Kevin James Names Son Kannon, Reveals Family Name Pattern
Cindy Barrymore/Fame Pictures

Kevin James has a new person to test out his jokes on! The King of Queens cut-up, who has since successfully transitioned to movies, welcomed his first son over the weekend. He and his wife, Steffiana de la Cruz, named him Kannon Valentine James.

The name Kannon -- which has never appeared on the popular names list -- is of Japanese origin and is a form of Kuan-yin, who was the Buddhist deity of mercy. However, because of its similarity to the word cannon, Kannon sounds like a very strong, powerful and masculine name. So the contrast of toughness with compassion is a nice mix.

What’s also interesting is that by Kevin naming his son Kannon, a true naming pattern has emerged from the James family. The males share “K” names while the females take mom Steffiana’s first initial “S” and are Sienna-Marie James, 5, and Shea Joelle James, 3. That's a nice bond that the kids can share with their parents... and each other.

An interesting side note about Shea’s name, Kevin -- a die-hard Mets fan -- named her after Shea Stadium, where the Queens, NY-based team played before they moved to a new ballpark, Citi Field, in 2009. Talk about a loyal fan!

Returning to Kannon, the youngest James family member gets his middle name, Valentine, from his late grandfather -- Kevin’s father Joseph Valentine Knipfing. (Note: Kevin’s birth name was Kevin George Knipfing.) Kevin’s older brother Gary, who is also a comedian, uses Valentine as well -- as his surname. And, again, the contrast of the harder sounding name, Kannon, with an almost tender name, Valentine, really balances it out.

Are you a fan of the name Kannon? Did you come up with similar same letter naming conventions ("K" for males, "S" for females, in this case) for your children?

--S.B.

Comments

April 25, 2011 6:39 PM
By Elsa (not verified)

I am loving Steffiana! Very pretty.

April 25, 2011 7:29 PM
By Lindsay (not verified)

I actually like Kannon. It sounds macho but cool. I love Valentine.

April 26, 2011 9:13 AM

not a fan, sound like camera brand

April 26, 2011 12:36 PM
By Kim E. (not verified)

I love it! I especially love the meaning.

April 26, 2011 4:49 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

The meaning is nice, and the initial thing is okay, but I just really hate this name. Just not my personal style, I guess, but to the point where I actually made a face when I first read it.

I do like the middle name Valentine, but I don't think the two names go together well at all, making it even worse.

Sienna and Shea are fine, a little unusual but not too out there, pretty.
Sienna-Marie I'm less sold on, but meh.

My own children's names are tied together in that they both peaked in popular in the very late 1800s-very early 1900s, and both have an old-fashioned and unusual ring to them. Also their middle names are both family names. We've already got a list of other old-timey names as we're talking about trying for one more.

April 28, 2011 6:14 AM
By Tarmie (not verified)

I'd never heard "Kannon" before, but it reminds me if ", which I've liked for a long time now. The name's origins are pretty cool, too.
As for the matching initials, my parents did that with our family. We had Steven (dad), Sean, Paula (mum), Phillip, Kelvin and Karma (me). :)

June 30, 2011 1:08 PM

We named our son Kannon in March of 2009. We absolutely love the name and hope parents like the James will follow in the trend to make Kannon popular but still very unique.