Antonio Sabato Jr.'s New Son Gets 22-Letter Hawaiian Middle Name (But Who's Counting?)

Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Aloha to Antonio Sabato Jr.'s new son: Antonio Kamakanaalohamaikalani Harvey Sabato III.

The underwear model turned actor and reality TV star welcomed his third child over the weekend -- his first with his singer girlfriend Cheryl Moana Marie. The couple already had the baby's name picked out (read our detailed name announcement), but made a slight modification -- swapping the order of Kamakanaalohamaikalani and Harvey.

While baby Antonio gets his first name -- a Roman family name meaning "priceless" -- from his Italian born father and grandfather, and shares it with his 16-year-old half-brother Jack Antonio Sabato, the standout name on the baby's birth certificate is clearly Kamakanaalohamaikalani. The 22-letter name comes from Hawaii -- the place where Oregon-born Cheryl grew up and won the Miss Kauai America title -- and it means "a beloved gift from the heavens."

Kamakanaalohamaikalani is typical of older Hawaiian names, which tended to be long, with many syllables and vowels. The ending -lani is very popular, more with girl names than boy names. Male names also frequently begin with Ka- and Ke-. The practice of giving offspring longer names started to diminish, but regained popularity in early 2000. Another common practice is using Hawaiian names as middle names -- as Antonio Jr. and Cheryl decided to do.

Other Hawaiian name patterns include creating names based on the circumstances of the child's birth. For instance, Lisa Bonet's partner Jason Momoa hails from Honolulu and the couple named their son Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa. Lisa shared the meaning saying Nakoa means “warrior” and Mana stands for “strength/spirit,” while Kaua ("rain") and Po ("dark") describe the wild weather occurring the night he was born. Nakoa-Wolf also shares a name, Namakaeha, with his actor father.

Some Hawaiian names are also inspired by dreams or visions. Actress Helen Hunt, who is not from Hawaii but often travels there, named her daughter Makena'lei after the name came to her friend in a dream. "It means 'many flowers of heaven,'" the actress has said.

Perhaps one of the best known Hawaiian names -- thanks to President Barack Obama, who was born there -- is Malia. Malia, a Hawaiian form of Mary, means "calm" and "peaceful." Some other celebrities who have given their offspring Hawaiian names include Jennifer Connelly and Parminder Nagra, who both have sons named Kai ("the sea"), as well as No Doubt guitarist Tom Dumont, who welcomed son Koa ("brave," "bold," "fearless") in February.

Other Hawaiian names you may want to consider are Alana ("the awakening"), Kiana (the Hawaiian form of Diana meaning "light") and Luana ("enjoyment") for girls and Keanu ("the breeze"), Kane ("warrior") and Noa (form of Noah meaning "freedom") for boys.

Have you or someone you know given a Hawaiian name to an offspring? What do you think of Kamakanaalohamaikalani? What is the longest name you know? Share your favorites below.

--S.B.

Comments

May 2, 2011 9:19 PM
By Allison (not verified)

My friend is stationed in Hawaii with the Army right now and just had a son, they named his Kai since he was born surrounded by the ocean.

May 2, 2011 9:24 PM
By RobynT (not verified)

Where can we find data on frequency with which Hawaiian names are used for middle vs. first names?

May 2, 2011 10:58 PM
By LGB (not verified)

Kamakanaalohamaikalani is just too long!

May 2, 2011 11:18 PM
By Plain Jane (not verified)

i was born on the island of maui and my parents gave me the middle name noelani which means heavenly mist. i adore my middle name-- despite the fact that most people mispronounce it.

May 2, 2011 11:37 PM

Beautiful thought but very long.

May 3, 2011 3:43 PM
By Top 10 Name of the 70s (not verified)

I thought that in order to be a "III" you had to have EXACTLY the same name as your father (and Grandfather)??
I am pretty sure that Hawaiian name is NOT in Antonio Sabato Jnr's passport!

As for names - I was very pregnant on one trip to Hawaii. Had I had a girl we were considering "Emmalani" as a middle name- after the Queen. Still love it.

May 3, 2011 5:46 PM

I have a Hawaiian friend named Alani. She said her name means heaven/heavenly. I also see her name at the end of their son's middle name. :-) I thought that was kind of cool.. haha.

May 3, 2011 6:08 PM
By Kate (not verified)

My daughter's middle name is Moorea which is of coarse the Tahitian island where I met her father. I lived in Hawaii and I wanted Tiare, which is a Tahitian gardenia, but not uncommon Polynesian name in Hawaii, but surprisingly my husband preferred Moorea (which is a kind of lizard or something). She likes it. I have heard of one other girl with this name, also with no Polynesian roots. My other favorite Hawaiian name is Pualani, but hubby was never going to go for that!

November 27, 2011 10:40 PM

Baby Antonio has a beautiful hawaiian name. I am hawaiian and in our culture we do not see the # of letters in ones name its the meaning of the name so please respect that.

December 24, 2011 1:08 AM

I live in Hawaii and I am hawaiian and I do have a hawaiian name. We don't think about a name being too long we think about the meaning behind it and if you think that's long try this on for size U'ikamakaniohalekekainalumaikalani.

March 24, 2012 12:59 PM
By Dawne "Napua.." (not verified)

The longest Hawaiian name Iknow is my own. Napuamohalaonaonaamekaweshiwehionakuahiwiamenaawawakehoomakakehoaalakeeiaonaainananiakeaohawaiiikawanaao my father, of Hawaiian/Chinese ancestry came up with it leaving the old Kaiser hospital in Honolulu after I was born, it means - The abundant beautiful blossoms adorning the mountains and valleys begin to fill the air with their fragrance throughout the breadth and width of the glorious Hawaiian islands at dawn

It once held the record for the longest given name in the Guiness Book of World Records.

June 8, 2012 4:43 AM
By andrieturner (not verified)

Antonio seems to be a strong name, very optimistic.

iphone spy

December 5, 2013 10:59 PM
By raxeq (not verified)

The name sounds good, but I think it's hard to spell and pronounce. - Derrick Strauss

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.