Report: Did Natalie Portman Name Her Baby Alef?

Report: Did Natalie Portman Name Her Baby Alef?
INI/Fame Pictures

Update July 6: The confirmed baby name is Aleph. Read more here.

Famously protective of her privacy, Natalie Portman has not yet released the name of her new son with fiancé Benjamin Millepied. Still, a report has crept out. But file this one under unconfirmed, for now.

Following up on a tip left in our comments, we discovered that the newspaper Israel HaYom is reporting that Natalie Portman named her baby Alef, the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet.

Is this legit? According to the Guardian, Israel HaYom is Israel's leading newspaper. Israel Hayom says the name Alef was reported on the Israeli television show, "Good Evening With Guy Pines" on Wednesday. According to comments on other blogs, an Israeli journalist got the name from one of Natalie Portman's cousins. Portman, who was born in Jerusalem and has dual American and Israeli citizenship, does have family there.

So is this report plausible? We're not sure. Recall, reports of Owen Wilson's baby name leaked by friends turned out to be false. And just yesterday, Portman was also the subject of a fake leaked new-baby picture. Finally, naming your child the equivalent of "A" is unusual. On the other hand, Alef is enticingly close to Alex, a global hit name of the sort you'd expect a jet-setting, multi-national young power couple to choose. Alef also references Natalie's religion, but in a meta, brainy, Harvard-educated sort of way.

But how likely is it that some random person commenting on a gossip blog would have the name first? Well, the name of Isla Fisher and Sacha Baron Cohen's youngest daughter, Elula, was leaked in a blog comment section months before Fisher confirmed it on her press tour. For us, it all adds up to a maybe.

What do you think of the name Alef? Is this Natalie Portman's baby name, or an obvious fake? If it's legit, do you like it?

--L.R.

Comments

June 16, 2011 9:05 PM
By Elisabeth@YCCII (not verified)

Yep, the name Elula first popped up on the web in the comments section at You Can't Call It "It"! I hesitated to announce the name until I had further confirmation and in part out of respect, but part of me wishes I hadn't!

If it is true, this is the first place I read it!

June 16, 2011 9:20 PM
By Lane

Elisabeth, that's right, we first saw Elula at You Can't Call It "It!" Thanks; we've added a link.

June 16, 2011 9:58 PM
By Tiana (not verified)

I kind of like it. I'd be seriously disappointed to find out it's really AidanBraydenCadenHaydenJadenRaidenZayden

June 17, 2011 12:30 AM
By Allison Margaret (not verified)

Definitely a weird celebrity baby name if it's true. I'm holding out for the official announcement though -- I'd expect, well, a real name from Natalie Portman. I'd think Alex or Olav rather than Alef.

June 17, 2011 1:53 AM

It doesn't bother me. It's a lot more "normal" sounding than a lot of celeb names... Moon Unit. Dweezil. Apple.

June 17, 2011 9:03 AM

I would bet that it's not going to end up being Alef, in the end. Too out-there for her.

June 17, 2011 10:05 AM
By Jennie

My theory: baby's name starts with "A" and cousin is referring to the baby by his initial.

June 17, 2011 1:03 PM
By StarWarsfangirl (not verified)

she hasn't announced this yet, but she actually had twins. Their names are Luke and Leia. :P

June 19, 2011 7:50 AM
By Custard (not verified)

I think she'll have gone for a more mainstream but not popular name, like Felix, Jared or Rufus.

Alexander is also a strong possibility.

June 22, 2011 8:43 PM
By Essy (not verified)

I really like it, people refer to their children by initials/letters all the time so it's not much different, it's like naming someone Jay.

although I do not like the use of the term "Jewishness" that's not really cool in my opinion.

June 23, 2011 6:36 AM

I think she has had twins too starwarsfangirl :-)
She was massive and couldn't fly months ago (which happens when you carry twins)

June 23, 2011 10:06 PM

Starwarsfangirl was being ironic. Portman played the role of Queen Amedala (sp?) in the Star Wars movies.

June 26, 2011 12:02 AM

alef is the first letter in the hebrew alphabet. so it has meaning and is not weird.

June 26, 2011 5:21 PM

alef it's the first letter in hebrow. It's looks likr that: א

June 29, 2011 8:04 PM

I think his name will be "Darren", after the baby's biological dad, Darren Aronofsky.

July 6, 2011 2:30 PM

Why is Natalie refusing to marry the father, Millepied? Why won't she allow him to have legal rights as a father. Doesn't make sense, unless he won't sign a prenup.

July 6, 2011 2:58 PM
By Lane

@essy -- my apologies; I've changed it.