General Hospital's Bradford Anderson Names Daughter After Spiritual Warrior Arjuna

via PortChuck.com

Soap operas are known for having characters with cool names (think: Frisco, Duke, Sonny, Jagger and Stone) and now General Hospital star Bradford Anderson — who plays quirky computer hacker Spinelli — has given a fashionable name to his new daughter.

After six days of labor and grueling delivery, which the actor’s wife Kiera, a yoga instructor, detailed in a candid blog post, the couple finally got to meet their daughter, Juna Meredith Anderson, on July 18. The baby’s name comes from Indian mythology, Kiera explained in her blog, writing: “Juna was inspired by the character of Arjuna, the spiritual warrior in the [Hindu scripture] Bhagavad Gita. I come back to this text often to remind myself not to cling too tightly to material things, to desires, or to ideas. These are lessons I hope to pass on to my daughter.”

Arjuna — meaning “bright,” “shining,” “white” or “silver” — was known for being a superhuman archer with a reputation for being unbeatable. He was compared with Achilles and Odysseus. Arjuna's father was the king of the gods, Indra. Arjuna is also an herb, which is said to help maintain normal blood flow in the heart. Shortening the name to Juna — which has never appeared on the Top-1000 popular baby names list — gives it a more modern feeling. Juna reminds us of on-the-rise name Luna (currently No. 343 on the list), which was used by Ellen Pompeo for daughter Stella Luna Ivery and Constance Marie for Luna Marie Katich.

As explored by Laura Wattenberg in the Baby Name Wizard blog this week, names with an “-a” ending -- like Juna -- are the classic marker of feminine names. Read her full post here.

“J” names that are similar to Juna are June (No. 597), Juniper and Junia, which is a biblical name that Zac Hanson gave to his daughter last year. Junia is the feminine form of Junius, an old Roman name deriving from Juno. Of course Juno was also the popular 2007 movie about teen pregnancy which starred Ellen Page. Read our in-depth posting about the name Junia here.

Back to Bradford and Kiera's new daughter, the couple went with Meredith (No. 603) as her middle name. In their case, Meredith is a place name -- it's the New Hampshire town where Bradford, who's also part of the band Port Chuck with his General Hospital costars, grew up before hitting Hollywood and becoming a popular daytime TV star. Place names continue to be popular and in this case have added meaning because Bradford grew up there.

The new dad hasn't yet talked about paying tribute to his hometown through his daughter's name, but he has gushed about being a new dad to Juna, via Twitter, writing, "She is wicked awesome."

What do you think of the name Juna? Do you think it has popularity potential? Talk back now. Plus: Share your favorite soap actor or character's name below.

--S.B.

Comments

August 1, 2011 6:00 PM
By Lane

I like the different variations on June. Juniper and Junia are my favorites, but Juna is interesting.

Just realized why this name sounds familiar: Djuna! As in Djuna Barnes.

August 2, 2011 12:41 PM
By Paula (not verified)

Re: Favorite soap opera character's name.

This is going WAY back, but as a grade-schooler in the 1970's, I had two babysitters who watched most of the CBS soaps. The Edge of Night, LONG off the air now, had a character named Tiffany (played by Lucy Martin, who showed up in an old Cosby Show rerun on late night TV recently!), and at about 9 years old, I fell in love with the name! In the years since, it seems that Tiffany experienced a rise and fall in popularity. I see lots of 20-something and 30-something Tiffanys these days, and this character was on the show at least 35 years ago, so I wonder if the character from The Edge of Night helped popularize Tiffany as a name.

August 2, 2011 3:28 PM
By Top 10 name of the 70s (not verified)

It reminds me a bit of "Juno" - who was named after the Roman goddess (not the place!).
But to cricketing nations - we will immediately think of Arjuna Ranatunga - a somewhat controversial Sri Lankan captain. I can't see the name catching on here because of that connection!

August 3, 2011 1:26 AM
By Rei (not verified)

A fun first name that does't sounds like it's trying to hard to be unique. Meredith goes well. In fact I like the whole flow of the name.
This makes me want to watch General Hospital.

August 8, 2011 7:28 AM
By Jenna (not verified)

I think its adorable. Congrats to the happy couple.

September 9, 2011 10:38 AM
By Bertha Hatton (not verified)

I think its a great name! I just saw the four of you guys in concert at: The Newport Synicate, in: Kentucky. Great band! Oh yes, I would like to know the name of your book?
My homepage is at: JUNO.COM

September 13, 2011 5:45 AM
By engagement wishes (not verified)

Dig with teemingness situations is rale problematical and I separation we resettle to be bed representation in interaction with effrontery situations. Riveting things mentioned here in this assembling. Mac you