Rockers Brody Dalle & Josh Homme Name Their Son Orrin! Plus: Brody's Own Complicated Name History

GHOST/Fame Pictures

Rock star couple Brody Dalle and Josh Homme have a new fan: a son named Orrin Ryder Homme! The happy mom, who fronts the band Spinnerette, broke the news on Twitter, writing, “We got us a very handsome red-headed baby boy — Orrin Ryder Homme — born on Friday the 12th of August, 7lbs., 12oz. Weez totes IN-LOVE.”

Brody and her hubby Josh — who’s the singer/guitarist for Queens of the Stone Age and supergroup Them Crooked Vultures — also have a 5-year-old daughter name Camille Harley Joan Homme.

The name Orrin, meaning “pale” or light,” is a variation of the Irish name Odhrán. (The Australian born Brody Dalle has said she's of Irish descent.) It’s also the name of a river in England and longtime U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah. Perhaps in part because of the 77-year-old senior senator, Orrin — similar to OrinOren and Oran — gives the feeling of an older man’s name and it is. Orrin, which has never been on the Top-100 list, was most popular in the 1880s — it ranked at Nos. 383 and 385 — but it never rose higher than that. Since 1948, it’s appeared just twice on the list at No. 992 (in 1952) and No. 944 (1961).

Meanwhile, middle name Ryder sounds both younger and hipper. It’s actually derived from the late Old English rīdere – meaning “rider,” “knight” or “mounted warrior.” It’s also a frontier name and the name Kate Hudson and her rocker ex-husband Chris Robinson gave to their son Ryder Russell Robinson. In that case, Ryder was named after the blues song “I Know You Rider,” which has been covered by many bands and was a Grateful Dead show staple.

Orrin Ryder Homme’s parents have even more interesting history to their names. Josh was born in Joshua Tree, Calif., which is a place name if we’ve ever heard one. According to his Wikipedia page, his last name, Homme, is of Norwegian origin and he pronounces it as rhyming with "mommy" -- not like the French word for man, homme (awm).

Meanwhile, Brody has had at least seven different last names. We can’t even tell you which one is her birth name – there’s so much conflicting information — but her given first name was the ultrafeminine Bree and she’s gone by Bree Leslie Pucilowski, Bree Leslie Mayer and Bree Joanna Alice Robinson. After changing her name from Bree to Brody as a teen — the gender neutral Brody fit a little better for her punk rock career with The Distillers — and marrying Rancid frontman Tim Armstrong, she became Brody Armstrong. Following their divorce, Brody renamed herself Brody Dalle after her favorite screen star, the French actress Béatrice Dalle. Then when she remarried -- she and Josh were hitched in 2007 — she took his last name becoming Brody Homme and sometimes also goes by Brody Dalle-Homme.

Brody, whose professional name remains Brody Dalle, has said that even her family back in Melbourne has had trouble keeping up with her current name. “I was in Australia and my aunt’s got a really great sense of humor,” Brody told Inked. “She was like, ‘What are you going to call yourself now? Maybe you should get really authentic and make it a real Australian name. You know, like Brody Bushwacker or Brody Kangaroo!”

And her family still calls her by her given name, Bree — well, sort of. “They call me Breezy Wheezy, which drives me crazy because when I was a kid I was asthmatic, so I got called Breezy Wheezy, which seems really cruel!” she noted in the same interview.

If were were called "Breezy Weezy" for 32 years, we'd probably change our name, too!

Now tell us what you think: Are you a fan of the name Orrin — or do you think it sounds dated? How do you think Orrin and Camille work as a sib-set? And finally: do you prefer the name Bree or Brody? Weigh in on all things Dalle-Hoome below.

--S.B.

Comments

August 22, 2011 6:05 PM

A friend of mine just named her son Odhrán, which I think is lovely.

August 22, 2011 9:41 PM

If the pronunciation is what I imagine it to be, I like the name

August 24, 2011 9:58 AM

The name Orrin is from Josh's late gradfather, so it is a family name and a nice homage to someone important in his life. He even has a tattoo "Cap" that is a reference to Orrin

August 24, 2011 12:46 PM

Bree is much prettier than Brody...a girl should not go by Brody. Love the daughter's name, Camille. Like Ryder much better than Orrin...hope they call him that instead.

August 24, 2011 4:42 PM
By Faye (not verified)

I love how many "shoulds" and "should nots" always come up on this page. Yes, we are totally entitled to say what

I've always loved Brody's chosen name. I'm a fan of androgyny in general (and clearly so is our culture...until it just gets TOO close). If anything bothers me it's Josh Homme's last name's pronunciation! Haha.

Orrin also reminds me of the Orin from the Neverending Story, an eternity/good luck sigil, but that's kind of random. I like Orrin and Camille together, they're both a little eclectic and older feeling.

August 30, 2011 5:43 PM

I think that Orrin Homme sounds good together but I feel that the name Ryder is the odd name out and doesn't really go with the first or last name

September 6, 2012 12:55 AM
By LighthouseLover (not verified)

It's crazy to see how so many people have an opinion on what parents decide to name their children, especially when they are famous. Anyway, they should be able to name them whatever they choose, but of course many would disagree.

- LighthouseLover
Lighthouse History Page

October 12, 2012 1:07 AM
By Tanna Farias (not verified)

November 3, 2012 1:47 AM
By Glinda Ridenour (not verified)

August 15, 2013 1:26 AM
By Mallory_F (not verified)

Orrin is a nice name, though I think it doesn't fit well for the baby. I guess so. - Mallory Fleming

June 6, 2014 2:45 AM
By Kitty (not verified)

Whatever these two come up with together is going to be genius. Im sure they put some thought into it so if thats what they wanted to name their kids, the I say hell yeah! Ive been in love with Brody for 15 years and a huge fan of Josh's for almost just as long, and in my eyes they can do no wrong :)

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.