Mary McCormack Announces New Daughter's Name, Nickname & Rap Star Name

Mary McCormack Announces New Daughter's Name, Nickname & Rap Star Name
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

After taking a few extra days to come up with the perfect name for her new daughter, actress Mary McCormack has announced the baby’s name, nickname and rap star name.

The star of USA’s In Plain Sight — and former West Wing cast member — needed some time after the Sept. 10 birth of her third daughter to make the baby’s name official. Five days later, she "finally" shared the baby name on Twitter, announcing that her husband — Brothers & Sisters producer Michael Morris — selected Lillian.

A lot of new parents have inked Lillian on birth certificates lately — it’s currenty No. 21 on the Social Security Administration’s popular names list. The usage of Lillian is certainly growing — a decade ago it was No. 129 — but it was actually more popular from 1890-1923 when it consistently appeared on the Top-20 names list, hitting No. 10 and staying there for four consecutive years. And it’s no surprise the “l” heavy name is a hit — it’s of Latin origin, meaning “lily,” and flower names have always been widely used. It also has an old-fashioned feel (not unlike Jennifer Connelly's Agnes), pleasant sound and appealing imagery.

Names that are similar to Lillian on the Top-1000 list include the alternate spelling Lilian (No. 450) as well as Lilia (876) and Liliana (124), which also appears as Lilliana (347), Lilyanna (483), Lilianna (669) and Lillianna (851). Of course there's Lily (No. 17), Lilly (107) and Lillie (453), too.

Lillian McCormack shares something special with her big sisters Margaret (b. 2004) and the fellow floral-named Rose (b. 2007) — the same middle name. “Her middle name is McCormack like her sisters,” Mary tweeted. Adding that the older girls are “LOVING being older sisters — they LOVE having Lillian home."

And while it may have taken a few extra days following the baby’s arrival to come up with Lillian’s name, Mary already has her daughter’s nickname — and potential rap star name — picked out.

“It’s Lillian. Lil for short,” the new mom wrote. And when one of her followers suggested that the baby's rap name could be "Lil MC," the actress tweeted back: “I like it.”

Talk back: How did you feel about nicknames when you were naming your child or children? Were you a "no nicknames" kind of parent? Did you select a nickname along with the given name like Mary did? Or did you decide to wait and let your child develop a nickname on his/her own later from friends? And please, please let us know if you, too, selected a rap star name for your baby.

--S.B.

Comments

September 16, 2011 3:30 PM

We selected nicknames along w/ their full names and in the case of our 3rd daughter due in Dec I selected the nickname first and then found a longer name to use. Oldest daughter-Evangeline Sophia(Eva), Middle daughter-Emmerson Paige(Emme), Youngest daughter-Electa Seraphine(Ellie). Eva's name has evloved the most since she was born adn while we call her Eva alot of the time we also call her Deavers, Eever Deavers, DoDo's, Do's etc... With Emme we call her Mimmee's, Mim's & MooMoo's. All of this developed and was not in anyway planned. I never had nicknames being a Lori and I am glad my kiddo's have such variable names. I read a great quote from a poster on here a week or so ago "My daughters nickname is who I think they will be and there given name is their invitation to figure it out for themselves". That expresses my feelings about it perfectly.

September 16, 2011 3:39 PM
By Suzy

I love that quote! I'm Suzanne but was called Suzy my whole life. I actually wish that I had used Suzanne -- at least sometimes. It became so that the only people who called me it were teachers on the first day of school so I actually started dreading it because I was shy and knew I'd have to raise my hand and tell them that I go by Suzy. So it's a funny thing. I do now as an adult wish I had been called by my given name -- even 1/4 of the time -- so it doesn't sound foreign to me.

September 16, 2011 3:58 PM
By emily (not verified)

our daughter is cecelia, and before she was born i thought her nickname would be celia- but she's 100% cece. :)

i love the name lillian, too bad we already have a cat named lily.

September 16, 2011 7:42 PM

We knew our daughter's middle name would be Grace and we wanted to call her AliGrace as a nickname so we had to figure out what long form of Ali we wanted to use. Ended up with Alexandra. Our other kids we did not start with the nickname, just this one!

September 16, 2011 7:55 PM
By Erinne (not verified)

My daughter's given name is Ada, and I've been surprised at how many people have assumed that it is a nickname for Adaline or Adalaide or whatever. I never really considered a longer name, and sometimes I do think it would have been nice to have given her more choice with a longer name and then nicknaming to Ada, but really, I just love it as it is.
We call her Ady and Adykins (when she was little, I read the Harry Potter books where Dudley's mother calls him Diddykins).

September 16, 2011 8:28 PM
By Jeanni (not verified)

Suzy, I agree! I go by Jeanni or Jem and I always have, even with my parents, they only ever called me by Jean when they were angry. So now my full name only signals anger to me.

September 16, 2011 9:16 PM

My sister is named Cynthia and my parents had every intention of nicknaming her Cindy (they bought a little roll of stickers and everything). But then when she was born she was 100% NOT a Cindy. My mom tried it a couple of times but it just felt completely wrong.

September 20, 2011 3:03 PM
By Katharine (not verified)

When I was expecting our first child I was quite nervous of being a mother to a girl but then I had a mini "vision" of a little girl named Frankie climbing a tree.

After she was born, we did decide to name her Frances, with the intention ot call her Frankie - but we never have.

There's still time (she's three) but it's funny how things turn out.

September 21, 2011 12:07 AM
By kylie (not verified)

We have 3 daughters and one due in 8 weeks and 1 son. All of our kiddos go by their nicknames which have naturally evolved over time with help from their personalities, family and even themselves.. Molly goes by Mol Mol, Jett is Jetty Spaghetti but usually just gets sketti, Ella is moofy we have no idea she this one herself before that I refered to her as LaLa, Willow is Wilma which are the first few letters from her first and middle names (Willow Mai) and Matillda will be Maddie or Tilly depending on wether your asking myself or my hubby =)... But knowing how planned nicknames never usually stick I am interested to see what she is being called in a few years...

January 30, 2012 7:19 PM
By Megan (not verified)

Nicknames are a HUGE part of name selection for me! I am a nickname girl. I always wanted my kids to have a LOT of nickname options. With a name like Megan, I was always limited to "Meg" or some really odd names (like Megalynn, even though my middle name is NOT Lynn).

My son was born last year. We named him Lincoln James - with the anticipation that he would be called Linc or LJ. My husband has ALWAYS loved the name Linc, but with a name like Lincoln, there was only one option - thus I was very set in having a middle name that allowed more nickname options.

I call him Lincoln or Linc, but have called him LJ a few times. He's only 9 months old and "LJ" seems to be an older name. My actual go-to is "Lincy Dink".

We're planning at least two more children and the names we've discussed (I'm very particular about making sure names sound "good together" in sibsets) all offer a ton of nickname options. My favorite for a boy right now is Nathaniel - of which we would call him Nate, but he could change it to Nathan or Neil when he's older if he wants. And for girls it's Penelope (Penny, but again she could go with Ellie or Nellie or Pipa) or Charlotte (Charley for me and Lottie for my husband since he's dead-set against "boy names" for girls).

September 16, 2014 6:58 AM
By archive.org (not verified)

I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

January 16, 2015 1:31 PM
By zubair (not verified)

My sis is termed Cynthia as well as the parents received every goal of nicknaming your ex Cindy (they acquired somewhat spin of 3d stickers as well as everything). ; however , any time your lover was born your lover was 100% Not only a Cindy. My mother tried the item a couple of times however it merely experienced completely wrong.

February 19, 2016 2:00 AM
By Marketing Programs (not verified)

http://www.educationmusical.sitew.org/ offer a FREE trial lessons for classes and some offer Learn Piano, Guitar, Singing, Saxophone, Flute, Violin, Drums and More a Free Trial private lesson.