'Bones' Star Emily Deschanel Welcomes Henry Hornsby

'Bones' Star Emily Deschanel Welcomes Henry Hornsby
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Bones star Emily Deschanel and her hubby, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's David Hornsby, have welcomed their son, Henry Hornsby.

Henry, from Old High German by way of French and meaning something like home + ruler, is a bona fide celebrity hit, a stylish name you'll find on sons of celebrities like Julia Roberts, Heidi Klum, Colin Farrell, and Steve Zahn. The name peaked in popularity in the 1880s at #8, then dipped to a low of the mid-100s in the 80s and 90s before swinging upwards again in the 2000s. Today, the name sits at #67 in the US, and also ranks highly in England, Canada, Australia, Scotland and Norway.

From a reputation as a bit of an old man's name, Henry has become a well-liked people-pleaser. Writes a Namipedia user, "Henry is the perfect mix of regal classic and comfy favorite."

Henry, like Harper, has come to feel a bit predicatable as a celebrity pick, but we like it with the last name Hornsby. Henry Hornsby could be the latest in a memorable list of Henry H.'s, from Henry Higgins to Henry Hopper.  In fact, Henry Hornsby reminds us how much we like "H" names at the moment.

What do you think of Henry Hornsby? What are your favorite H names?

--L.R.

Comments

September 22, 2011 9:28 AM
By Deborah (not verified)

I love Henry Hornsby! Right now I am digging the name Hadley. The first and only Hadley I have met in real life (as opposed to reading in a Charlaine Harris novel) is a very cute little girl in my son's pre-k class. I tried to pass it off on my sister-in-law who is pregnant with twins (and already has a daughter named Whitley) but I got no response. Eh, I still really like it!

September 22, 2011 11:14 AM
By Jen. (not verified)

Honor. Loved it before Jessica Alba used it, but won't be using it ourselves -- our last name is also a verb.

September 22, 2011 11:55 AM
By WanderingAngela (not verified)

I love Henry Hornsby! Sounds like the name of a Dickens character.

September 22, 2011 2:52 PM
By Mom (not verified)

Henry Hornsby sounds great together. I also like Hattie as a girls name.

September 22, 2011 3:34 PM
By Juli (not verified)

I like names that are actually, you know, *names*, so I approve. The combination with the surname is not quite as over-the-top as Horatio Hornblower, but memorably alliterative nevertheless.

But this shows how far behind I am in my TV watching -- Bones was pregnant?? Or did they magage to hide it somehow on set?

September 22, 2011 4:26 PM
By moll (not verified)

Hugh! And Hugo, to an extent, though it feels a bit more trendy. I knew an Honora when I was a kid and always like that, too.
I'm with Juli, I like *names*, so I don't mind if Henry is a bit played out (I have a nephew Henry, though he goes by Hank). I place Henry with William, John, George, Charles, James, Robert, and so forth... you know the crew. I might not use most of them myself, but I always like hearing them on a new baby.

September 22, 2011 10:42 PM
By AngelaAiea (not verified)

My boyfriend and I talk about our future children using H names. Henry, Hugo, Holly, and Hope are the ones we use most. Things like Horatio and Hippolyta creep in from time to time as well.

September 23, 2011 12:30 AM

I think it sounds like something straight out of Harry Potter. I chuckled when I heard the name.

September 27, 2011 12:37 PM

Henry is an awesome name, but it feels pretty overused to me. I'm surrounded by Henrys! Favorite H names: Harvey, Hazel, Harper, Harriet

September 27, 2011 1:14 PM
By Allison Margaret (not verified)

I like alliterative names, and Henry, but the combination is a bit too singsongy for my taste. I've come to really like Hank as a nickname for Henry (or various other H names). My favorite H names are Henry, Hendrick, Helen, and Harper. My favorite H surname is easily Holliday.

September 27, 2011 2:45 PM
By Allison (not verified)

I love it! Wonderful name!

September 28, 2011 2:00 AM

Holland and Hope.

September 28, 2011 2:04 AM

I like Henry, know a beautiful baby named Holden, and know a family with a Halston and a Hadley (both girls).

September 29, 2011 2:21 AM
By Jane (not verified)

One of those cases where alliteration works so well - I also love Benjamin Button. Just wish I could find an L name that I love, to work with our surname :)

December 13, 2011 4:38 PM
By Lara (not verified)

Hi.. not really sure if you'll like it but mi name is Lara :)

September 8, 2014 7:06 AM
By click here (not verified)

I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!

May 6, 2015 10:39 PM
By Mas Joko (not verified)

hahdbhbfdn