Tori Spelling's Baby Name: Hip Old Lady Name or Old Hat?

Tori Spelling's Baby Name: Hip Old Lady Name or Old Hat?
Revolutionpix/Fame Pictures

Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott have welcomed their third child together, daughter Hattie Margaret McDermott, Tori announced on Twitter. Tori and Dean are already parents to Liam and Stella.

From one extreme to another! Stella and Liam are popular names. Stella, in particular, is a celebrity dude favorite name: check out celebrities who have chosen Stella

And Hattie? This diminutive form of Henrietta or Harriet was a favorite in the 1880s, and had a long slow dropping off to obscurity -- much like Stella. But in the, 1880s, Hattie was more popular than Stella. Hattie once ranked as high as #33, about as popular as Gabriella is today.

Stella came back in a big way. Will Hattie? We've been hearing it here and there in name enthusiast circles, but we know no other celebrity babies with the name. On the other hand, we've been noticing a trend toward H names in recent celebrity choices, such as Haven and Harper.

Despite a well-established trend toward reviving old lady names (Agnes, for example), Hattie remains obscure, like Gussie.  However, the cute name appears in more than one kid's book, and was the name worn by the American baby in the documentary Babies. Also, Hattie already sounds like Addie--the nickname du jour for Adeline--and isn't so far off from Madison's cute nickname, Maddie. In fact, Hattie is Hailee meets Mattie -- like Hailee Steinfeld playing Mattie in True Grit.

We think it's adorable with Liam and Stella. The repeated double-letters in Hattie echo the double-letters in Stella, and the names both enjoyed an earlier 1880s popularity. At the same time, Hattie is more unexpected than Liam or Stella, and we like that too.

What do you think of Hattie? Is it too old fashioned and "home on the range"? Is it just a nickname? Tell us below.

--L.R.

Comments

October 11, 2011 3:58 PM
By Essy (not verified)

I like Hattie, but I like it as a NN - would have liked if they went for Harriet - still has the double letter similarity to Stella too. but still a cute name.

October 11, 2011 4:33 PM
By K (not verified)

I like Hattie but not with Stella & Liam. I'm wondering if she is as big of a fan of Parenthood as I am :)

October 11, 2011 4:50 PM
By Melissa (not verified)

I think Hattie's adorable! My only (minor) beef is that is it SO a nickname to me. I'd have rather seen Harriet or Henrietta. But still, tres cute.

October 11, 2011 7:23 PM
By Juli (not verified)

I'm with Essy and Melissa: it would've been acres better to give the poor baby an actual *name* rather than a somewhat obscure nickname. I like both Harriet and Henrietta, though Harriet perhaps fits the sibling-set slightly better.

October 11, 2011 10:24 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

I went to high school with a Hattie in the 1990s, so it's never seemed that little-old-lady to me. I think it's cute and actually prefer it to the names it's supposed to be a nickname for. To me, this is one where the full names, being so different from the nickname, aren't necessary. I like Stella and Liam, too. Never would've dreamed Tori Spelling and I would have one iota of similarity. ;)

October 12, 2011 1:49 AM

I can definitely see Hattie taking off in the UK, we love nicknames-as-names. But there maybe still an association with Hattie Jacques, an actress of the 1950s and 60s who was very fat.

October 12, 2011 1:53 AM

I don't like it, but I prefer it over Harriet and Henrietta. I don't know, none of those three names seem cute or pretty to me. I generally like old-fashioned names, but these are ones I'd rather not see revived.

October 12, 2011 3:04 AM
By M (not verified)

Personally, I think Hazel would have been a better choice. It goes so well with Stella and Liam, plus Hattie just sounds so incomplete!

October 12, 2011 8:17 AM
By Juli (not verified)

On further consideration, I suppose Liam is also a nickname-as-full-name: it's originally a shortened form of William. So the only outlier is Stella.

October 12, 2011 10:25 AM
By Kim (not verified)

Such a cute name; I never would have heard of it if it wasn't for Parenthood.

October 12, 2011 2:29 PM
By Kate (not verified)

I give top marks for Hattie Margaret McDermott - the paring of the nicknameish Hattie with the formal Margaret makes it neither too cute nor too stuffy. I also like how both Hattie and Margaret connect with McDermott via the tt- and the M-sounds.

October 12, 2011 2:30 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

I've always loved Hattie! I first read it in a book when I was in elementary school and have adored it ever since. Oddly, I can't stand Haley, Holly, Harley and co. but my love for Hattie stands. I'm sure it's because I'm a sucker for sweet old lady names.

I don't love it as a full name but don't like any of its long forms. Still I give Tori an A+ on this one!

October 12, 2011 9:19 PM
By Devin (not verified)

I like it. I just met a little girl named Lettie and I thought it was adorable. (Didn't ask if it was a nn or her given name) But I could see Lettie/Hattie taking off. They're not too far away from Maddy which is obviously super popular.

October 18, 2011 12:30 PM

I love the name Hattie and think it's overdue for a revival. It fits well with the sibling name set, too. I have a great-aunt pushing 80 named Hattie, the only Hattie I know. She's smart, independent, capable, active and a spitfire; qualities that any woman at any age should aspire to!

October 18, 2011 12:34 PM
By court (not verified)

I think it's fine they chose Hattie and not the more formal name. Reminds me of a friend who named her son Drew so no one could call him Andrew or Andy.

October 18, 2011 3:12 PM
By TrixiesMom (not verified)

I love it too. I have become a huge Tori Spelling fan in the last few years, since our daughters are exactly the same age, and she shares so much of her life on her tv show. I was excited what she would name baby number 3. I think she hit the mark with Liam and Stella, and I agree Hattie is darling with McDermott. Usually I like a name name, and then a nick name, but in this case I have to agree with the comments above that Hattie is a much cuter name than any of the names associated with it. Hattie puts a smile on my face.

October 18, 2011 4:24 PM

I'm sorry but I cannot say Hattie without using an English accent.

October 18, 2011 11:11 PM

I love the name, but I don't think it goes well with Stella. Hattie was one of the babies in the documentary film "Babies."

October 19, 2011 12:10 AM
By Lindsey (not verified)

My co worker has a 5 year old named Hattie and it was the only time I had heard it apart from the Parenthood show. I love it!

May 30, 2012 2:40 AM
By the best writing service (not verified)

Nowadays, it is really hard to choose a good name for your baby that could fit for him/her. There are also ways to create a unique name for babies, like combing the name of the mother or father. You can also get an idea in the internet or maybe in interests like cars, artist or anything you could think of.

June 29, 2012 5:12 PM
By Vivian Calahan (not verified)

I don't think that it is old-fashion. It sounds really good. Their choice of the name is okay.

May 2, 2013 4:54 AM
By shonteat (not verified)

June 12, 2013 9:32 PM
By Thiết kế web rao vặt (not verified)

Thank you very much, I am your article is very useful to me and I want to be like you