Carla Bruni, Nicolas Sarkozy Baby Name

Carla Bruni, Nicolas Sarkozy Baby Name
Photo Credit: ANG/Fame Pictures

Update: Carla Bruni-Sarkozy has confirmed that the name is Giulia.

Giulia is a very popular girl's name in Italy. The Italian spelling of the popular girl's name Julia doesn't make the charts in the US. Giuliana, however, is having a meteoric rise, from #898 in 2007 to #376 in 2010. Julianna and Juliana are also up, though Julia remains the biggest hit. We fully expect Giulia to make the US charts soon.

Original Report:

The First Lady of France, model-actress Carla Bruni gave birth to a baby girl in Paris on Wednesday, October 19.  Dad is French President Nicolas Sarkozy. No official word on the baby's name yet, though The Telegraph reports that the baby is named Dahlia

Dahlia is a lovely flower name that has seen a sharp spike in popularity in the U.S. in the past few years.  But is it likely the name of the First Bebe

Could be, but only if the parents' name style is very different for girls than for boys. Dahlia doesn't have the French heritage of the names of Bruni and Sarkozy's children from their previous relationships, Aurelien, Louis, Jean and Pierre.

While we await official word of the Bruni-Sarkozy baby name, let us know what you think of the name Dahlia. Do you think the Telegraph report is true? Do you have other ideas of what the couple might name their baby girl?

It's official: Giulia. What do you think of their choice? Do you prefer Giulia or Julia? Do you prefer Giulia or Dahlia?

--J.B.

Comments

October 20, 2011 11:01 AM
By numerologist (not verified)

numerology for Dahlia Bruni-Sarkozy:

October 20, 2011 1:40 PM
By mk (not verified)

According to her website, the baby's name is Giulia.

I think that fits much better than Dahlia.

October 20, 2011 3:17 PM

I agree Giulia fits much better but I personally like the name Dahlia better.

October 21, 2011 5:43 AM

Well I'm Italian and I find Giulia very boring as it's been the most popular girl name in Italy for like 20 years now.
I think Giulia doesn't really fit a French little girl and I'm surprised they would choose an Italian name seeing as Carla Bruni has made comments in the past saying she is proud of not being Italian or something along those lines.

October 21, 2011 11:22 AM
By hyz (not verified)

Ditto the above--Giulia fits better, but I prefer Dahlia. While Guilia, that spelling, isn't boring per se to me, I know plenty of Julias and Juliettes here, so it doesn't exactly sound fresh, either--and I can see it being pretty bland in Italy. It may have a bit of cache on a French girl, but I think they could've found something more distinctive. Then again, "distinctive" doesn't exactly seem to be their style, and Giulia/Julia are nice, solid, pleasant names, so I think it's fine.

October 25, 2011 12:19 PM

I prefer Dahlia, but I do like that spelling of Giulia.