Duggar Baby Names: What Will The Duggars Name Baby #20?

Duggar Baby Names: What Will The Duggars Name Baby #20?

Michelle Duggar, surrounded by her family, announced this morning that she and her husband Jim Bob are expecting another baby. This will make an even twenty.

Here's what we're sure of: the baby's name will start with a J. (View a list of the Duggars' childrens' names.) However, within the rigid adherence to a single initial, the Duggars have actually employed a number of strategies, giving them a bit of room to play around.

Take a look at the most recent choices. Jennifer Danielle, born in 2007, could easily have been born in any community in the US circa 1980. A more classic girl's name combination is hard to come by, but for a contemporary baby, it has the tinge of faded popularity.

But Jennifer's next-oldest sister, born 22 months earlier in 2005, was named Johannah Faith -- an edgy name by contemporary standards. Johannah, which last made the charts, just barely, in the 1880s, has a bit of a foreign edge, which is rare for the Duggars. It's a middle-Latin derived name meaning "God is gracious," with popular versions in Greek, Autsrian, Polish, Scottish and Welsh. It's also a mere two letters' difference from her sister's name, Joy-Anna.

And Jennifer Danielle's younger sister, born 15 months later? She was christened Jordyn-Grace Makiya. Jordyn, a trendy, girlish version of Jordan, has been leaping up in recent years till it's poised to break the top-100. Mikiya, among other things, is a Japanese inn.

In December 2009, the Duggars welcomed #19, Josie Brooklyn, a name we like.

In a general way, we suggest that the Duggars' boy names tend more toward the classic. Justin, Jackson, James, Jason and Joshua are powerhouse names, even today. The girls' names flit more between styles, betraying a bit of naming playfulness around the edges of the unchanging initial "J." What is reality tv's most famous super-huge family having this time? According to today's announcement, they'll find out around Christmas.

Take a gander at the different "name strategies" the Duggars have used, then read our ideas about each. Then in the comments, tell us your own ideas for fabulous "J" names undiscovered.

The Duggars have used:

• Classic J Names: Joshua, Justin, Joseph, James, Jennifer, Jill
  • Biblical: Jeremiah, Jedediah  (also in the middle names: Levi, Samuel)
  • Double-Barreled J Names: John-David, Jordyn-Grace, Joy-Anna
  • Alternately Spelled Names: Jinger
  • Trendy Names: Jordyn-Grace, Jackson, Jessa  (also in the recent middle names -- Makiya, Brooklyn)

For #20, Perhaps:

• Classic J Names:  Jude, Joel. For girls, the glaring gap is a name in the Julia family. Perhaps Julia, or if they're feeling frisky, Juliet?
  • Biblical: Judah, Jezebel (unlikely, but wouldn't it be awesome?), or Junia (like Zac Hanson's stylish biblical baby)
  • Double-Barrelled J Names:  Jean-Pierre, Jean-Louise (the real name of To Kill a Mockingbird's "Scout" Finch. Another recent name inspired by To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Seven Beckham.)
  • Alternately Spelled Names: Jenavieve
  • Trendy Names: Jade or Jaden, Jessamy (like one of our favorite mom blog sibsets; the Duggars do have a precedent for using similar names), Jericho, Julissa

What would you name the 20th J-baby, if you had to?

--L.R.

Comments

November 8, 2011 11:46 AM
By HiLary (not verified)

In a family where there are so many male biblical names, I've always wondered why there isn't a Jacob, Joel, Jared or Jonah. For girls I could see something sweet like Julia, Joelle or Jemma.

November 8, 2011 11:49 AM
By Sarah (not verified)

Hooray for mentioning Hanson two posts in a row! They are my favorite band ever and are so much more than "MmmmBop" though of course we still love them for that! To make it name related here are some of the girls names they've used in songs:
Lucy
Madeline
Penny
Georgia

Now that that's out of the way, though I don't lean towards J names that often, I think that one of my favorite J names is Joy. But with Joy-Anna it wouldn't be a good choice for the Duggars. My choices from the list for them would be Junia or Jenevieve.

November 8, 2011 12:05 PM
By Deborah (not verified)

As much as I love the name Jenevieve, I don't think that would be such a great fit since they already have a Jennifer. The Jen, Jenna, Jenny nickname is already being used. I would say go with Julie, Julia or Juliet, they could even combine names or hyphenate, such as, Julie-ann, Juliann, Julianna, Julie-anna...that name holds a LOT of variations. Also JimBob mentioned he liked the name Julie in the episode when they were deciding on a name for Jordyn. I'll also throw out Jewel, just for trendy flair. For a boy, I am in love with the name Judah. They don't have a name with the long u sound yet and it's such a strong Biblical name, along with similar sounding Jude. I love Duggar baby announcements! I get so excited about all the naming possibilities!

November 8, 2011 12:19 PM
By AngelaAiea (not verified)

I remember reading awhile back that if they hit baby #20, they might name it Jubilee.

November 8, 2011 1:40 PM
By melina (not verified)

Oooh, I love Jubilee. It seems right for #20. Joel and Judah would be great boy names.
Jezebel would be an aweful choice. She was a murder and down right evil. Even in today's standards.

November 8, 2011 2:27 PM
By Kim (not verified)

Jane would be lovely. I can't wait to decide what they choose!

November 8, 2011 2:28 PM
By Kim (not verified)

I mean hear. I wish I could choose.

November 8, 2011 4:20 PM
By KrisMichelle (not verified)

I'd love to see them use Jemima! It so terribly needs visibility to shed its Aunt Jemima connotations in the U.S. Plus it's a lovely sounding, Biblical J name.

November 8, 2011 5:37 PM
By Cayce (not verified)

I love the name Jayne.. so if the baby is a girl, that's a name! :)

November 8, 2011 6:00 PM
By February's Child (not verified)

I'd love to see Jane or June.

Jubilee would be fun too. I actually met a Jubilee once. A makeup artist in Denver.

November 8, 2011 10:46 PM

Janae, Jacquelyn, Jonah, Jules, Jonna, Jerrica

November 9, 2011 1:48 AM

Julia Juliette or Julianna are adorable for girls

November 9, 2011 2:16 AM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

I think Jubilee would work for either a boy or girl.

November 9, 2011 6:28 AM
By Anonymous Jack (not verified)

Jessica, Adrianna, Abigayle.
ambien

November 9, 2011 7:36 AM

How about Joan?
In my family, we have a Joan and a June.... another suggestion could Janice.

Or for a boy - Jim Bob (jnr)???

November 9, 2011 8:47 AM
By M (not verified)

I wish she would stop having children. Fertility awareness works. After the last problematic pregnancy and another emergency c-section it is becoming dangerous to mom and baby to carry another child.

November 9, 2011 1:13 PM

what about the name Jackie for a Girl or for a boy Joel i love jacie becous it is my aunts name and joel becous it is a quit name for a boy.

November 9, 2011 1:42 PM

No one has mentioned Janelle (or variations Jenelle or J'nelle). It ends the same as mama Michelle.

I'll bet they'd go with Jayden for a boy because it's trendy like Jackson. I too have always wondered why they didin't use Jacob, with their penchant for biblical names.

I think it will be another girl.

November 9, 2011 2:09 PM

For girls, I'd love to hear Jacqueline, Jocelyn, Julia or Jane, but I bet it would be more along the lines of Jewel or Janelle. For boys, I'd love Jonah or Judah but I think it will be more like Jacob or Jayden.

November 9, 2011 2:17 PM

And I'd always (rather cynically) thought that the Duggars would keep having babies until one was born dangerously premature or with a birth defect or developmental disability, and then they would say that the Lord had blessed them enough. I kinda respect them for sticking to their plan (or lack thereof).

November 9, 2011 10:24 PM
By Corhea (not verified)

I love the Duggar's! I don't know about having 20 kids myself but it sure would be a dream to get to name as many!

I, too, have always wondered why they skipped over some of the classic "J" boys names from the Bible. Personally, I love Judah, Jonah, & Joel. For a girl I think Juliet or Julia would be perfectly sweet. Not Julie, only because Josie is the last one and I feel like they just sound too similar. I love the name Jenevieve but I agree with the person before that said the nn possibilities are limited and could become confusing since they already have a Jennifer.

November 10, 2011 11:44 AM

Please no Jenavieve! I love the name but that spelling is awful. I guess not Jinger awful, but still.

November 10, 2011 4:10 PM

Girls:

Juliet
Jolina
Jenevieve
Jocelyn
Jacqueline

Boys:

James
Jeb
Jayden
Jacob

November 11, 2011 4:03 PM

For boys Jared, Joel, Jesse, Jye, Jeremy, Jett. For girls Jessica, Julia/Juliette/Julie/Juliana, Jemma, Jenna, Jorja, Jeena, Jacqueline , Jade.

November 12, 2011 9:16 PM

Jemma, Jasmine, Jorj, Japhy...

November 13, 2011 5:27 PM

Maybe Juniper? Jolene? Jeremie might be a bit cute- and it looks French because of the 'ie'. Jenna? Jemima.... Jocelyn maybe...

November 13, 2011 6:42 PM

JANIE, JOCELYN, JENEVIEVE, JACK, JAKE, 0R JEREMY

November 13, 2011 7:35 PM

i think Jayne or Julianna for a girl and Jack, Jonah, Jamie, or Jude for a boy

November 15, 2011 1:12 PM
By HOLLY (not verified)

BOYS:

JEFFREY, JAMESON, JACOB, JUDE

GIRLS:

JASMINE, JADE, JENEVA, JAMIE, JULIAAC

November 15, 2011 1:21 PM

For a boy, they should name him Jasper or Jacob (kind of surprised they haven't used Jacob yet!!).

For a girl, they should name her Juniper/Junia, or Juliet (love that!), or possibly Jeneva (alternate spelling of Geneva). :)

November 15, 2011 1:22 PM

Jasmine, Julia, Jade, Juliette and Jemma are all good female choices. Boys could be any of the ones mentioned previously (except Jim-Bob, that is an awful name and I hate Jr's myself). Judah, Jayden, Jareth, Jacob...there are many possibilities left for the Duggars.

November 15, 2011 1:28 PM
By Caro (not verified)

I saw on a handwritten list on one of the episodes the name Jubilee, among other options. I think it was when they were naming Jordyn.

I'd say the safe bet would be Julie, the wild card would be Jupilee, and my personal favorite is Jocelyn.

November 15, 2011 1:28 PM
By Caro (not verified)

*Jubilee not Jupilee

November 15, 2011 1:37 PM
By Meghan Eileen (not verified)

My son (born 2010) is named Judah, and my husband would prefer NOT to have a Duggar share his name (he's not a fan!). However Judah, Jude, or Jonah would all be good choices for them. Julie, Julia, and Jane would be on the top of my list for a girl.

November 16, 2011 12:17 AM

-Jake
-Joel
-Jasper
-Jace

November 17, 2011 6:54 AM

Girls:

Julia/Juliana/Juliet(if I remember right JimBob wanted to name Jordyn(Julia)but was out voted!)
Jocelyn

Jude
Jerald
Jarvis
Jorge

November 26, 2011 1:33 AM
By Rose (not verified)

I think for this (potentially) final one they should break with tradition and finally name a child starting with the mother's initial. She endured all those pregnancies after all. Doesn't she feel a bit left out that she's the only one without a J name? She could use some company. How about Mary or Martha or Michael or Martin. Tons of great M names.

December 2, 2011 3:43 PM

Girls: Jael Jasmine Jessie Justice BOYS:: Judah Joaquin Jeffrey

September 6, 2012 2:16 AM
By gbvoq (not verified)

I could see something sweet like Julia, Joelle or Jemma. Learn more at this site

November 19, 2012 2:17 AM
By yuwrg (not verified)

Buy V702 Android 4.0 Notebook with 7 inch WVGA Screen Cortex A9 1.2GHz 4GB from China Android 4.0 Tablet PC Online Store, Enjoy Cheap (Discount) ...Find detailed product information for Cheap C300 Car DVR Loop Video Recording Camera and other products from Shenzhen Givoe Technology Co.

January 8, 2013 7:00 AM
By ali (not verified)

Take a gander at the different "name strategies" the Duggars http://www.questions4sure.com/640-554.htm have used, then read our ideas about each. Then in the comments, tell us your 640-554 questions own ideas for fabulous "J" names undiscovered.

January 11, 2013 8:06 AM

Sant ritz is also near to Nova Golf Center and Kallang Part Riverpark.
Entertainment for your near visitors is therefore at your pleasure with the finish property functions as well as the solutions near Potong Pasir.
Thx

February 21, 2013 9:04 PM

Article was written well ~ I agree with the author's point of view, in recent years, the rapid development of electronic products, now I introduce a good electronic products
led car lights

February 27, 2013 8:20 PM
By idateasia (not verified)

Its a nice topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.vietnamese girls

April 2, 2013 7:55 PM
By idateasia (not verified)

Outstanding piece of work you have done. This type of posts is rarely found. This site has proved its metals in the way of giving extra ordinary information.idateasia scam | idateasia

May 24, 2013 11:38 AM
By beginner713 (not verified)

For girls I could see something sweet like Julia, Joelle or Jemma.
research paper on computer security

March 30, 2014 6:47 AM

This is a great name and I am thinking of using this name for my upcoming baby.- C. Frederick Wehba

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.