The Duggars Name The Baby Michelle Miscarried Jubilee Shalom

The Duggars Name The Baby Michelle Miscarried Jubilee Shalom
Scott Enlow/TLC

After losing what was to be their 20th child, Michelle Duggar and Jim Bob Duggar have selected a name for the baby: Jubilee Shalom Duggar.

As we told you last week, the stars of the TLC reality series 19 Kids and Counting found out that Michelle, who was 19 weeks along, suffered a miscarriage. Michelle also opened up about their plans to name the baby, a girl, because "will know that we will see [her] again someday in heaven." Naming the child was something they also did 20-something years earlier when Michelle miscarried soon after eldest son Josh's birth.

The sweet sounding and festive Jubilee means "celebration" or, more specifically, "specially celebrated anniversary" and it is derived from the Hebrew "yobel," meaning "ram. In ancient Israel, a ram's horn was sounded to celebrate the jubilee that followed seven cycles of Sabbatical year. The fact that this would have been a milestone child -- their 20th! -- goes along with "specially celebrated" meaning of the name. Meanwhile, Shalom, also Hebrew, means "peace." (Supermodel Shalom Harlow is the most famous Shalom we can think of.) Jubilee and Shalom together just oozes love to us.

Obviously the Duggars are known for the "J" names, but a "J" name under these circumstances wasn't a sure thing. This is because when Michelle lost her previous child -- shortly after Josh was born 20-something years ago -- they named that baby, whose gender was unknown, Caleb. But when we did our initial story announcing Michelle's pregnancy back in October, one of our readers said she remembered the Duggars giving an interview in which they said, if they had a 20th child, he or she would be named Jubilee. Another added that the name Jubilee appeared on a hand-written note in one episode prior to the birth of 3-year-old Jordyn.

What do you think of the name Jubilee Shalom? A ptribute to a special baby?

--S.B.

Comments

December 12, 2011 6:58 PM
By Allison (not verified)

I love it. It is a name that oozes love and I think "celebration of peace" is a wonderful meaning!
We are mourning with them and we celebrate with them!

December 12, 2011 8:33 PM

Beautiful

December 12, 2011 8:40 PM

I think Jubilee is a cute name and way better than Jinger. At least Jim-Bob and Michelle know that Jubilee starts with a J. I also like Shalom because of the peaceful nature of the name.

December 12, 2011 10:10 PM
By Miranda (not verified)

I am so sad for them, but I love the name! My three year old daughter's name is Jubilee. Such a happy name :o)

December 12, 2011 10:35 PM
By AngelaAiea (not verified)

I was the one who mentioned Jubilee on the previous post. I heard that rumor years ago. I'm actually a little surprised that it ended up coming to fruition, in light of the circumstances.

So sad that she lost the baby. Saying a prayer for the family.

December 13, 2011 8:00 AM
By Corhea (not verified)

I love the name & I think it's perfectly fitting for this baby! I love the Duggar's & I'm praying for them in this time of grief.

December 13, 2011 1:19 PM
By Allison Margaret (not verified)

Jubilee and Shalom are both wonderful biblical concepts. Jubilee is seven times seven years, the final year of which the ancient Hebrews celebrated and rested, debts were forgiven, slaves were freed, and land ownership was re-set. I like seeing the name used and I think it's a good fit for the Duggars and for this baby. I'm sorry for their loss.

December 13, 2011 2:02 PM
By Anne (not verified)

I think it's a very special name and very fitting in the circumstances. The loss of a baby is always sad, and it's good that they are finding special ways to mourn and celebrate this baby.

December 15, 2011 8:17 AM
By vanessa (not verified)

i think the name is OK. but I hate the Duggars, who are part of what is so very wrong with America. They are bad people. and while I am always sorry about tragedy, what the hell did she think would happen? They are literally trying to raise an army of hate.

December 15, 2011 3:48 PM

Take a chill pill vanessa

December 16, 2011 1:09 AM
By tiktok (not verified)

What's wrong with the United States is that it contains a large number of people who assume that every situation can only be a dichotomy of extremes - good/evil, right/wrong, true/false - and lash out at people with any viewpoint slightly different from their own, assuming them to be an entirely antithetical party.

I believe you will find, if you actually study any group of people in their day-to-day lives, that the vast, vast majority of people are just trying to be decent human beings.

This is the least appropriate moment possible to accuse any family of being bad, hateful people - that's a hateful act in and of itself. You essentially say that you feel they deserved it and had it coming because you disapprove of their beliefs and lifestyle. That disgusts me far more than anything I have ever seen of or heard from the Duggar family.

December 16, 2011 4:23 PM

Tiktok, that was well said.

December 16, 2011 4:34 PM
By ajg (not verified)

Tiktok, would you mind if I copied your comment to my facebook page as an example of something I absolutely agree with?

December 17, 2011 2:51 PM
By vanessa (not verified)

"Vanessa... I am a liberal, bisexual female and I think the Duggars are doing great job of raising their kids to be well-rounded, thoughtful, and genuinely nice people.
"

Um, no. The Duggars have literally stated that they are raising their children to be an army of god, and in this case, they mean an army of fundamentalists. Don't assume you know the first thing about my experiences with the world; I think if you do some actual research on the quiverfull movement you will find that whether or not the Duggars believe they are being good people, their beliefs are hateful.

December 20, 2011 1:23 PM
By jennifer (not verified)

vanessa, very true and thanks for clarifying for everyone. this family is full of arrogance and selfishness since they believe they are entitled to have 19 and counting children. this website is largely about children, and clearly in support of parenthood, however, this world would be in chaos if EVERYONE decided to deliver their own personal family army. p.s. the amount of money and gifts bestowed on this family for years could have gone to help MANY smaller families.

March 29, 2012 2:02 AM
By JLL (not verified)

I think tiktok made a good point but at the same time none of us kno these people personally so why get tore up and bent out of shape, getting hateful or mad sounding over people u only know how TLC wants you to makes u look, well nicely said, not so bright! In the past several children in one family was very common and although they r making money and "recieving gifts" now they didn't have a show till they had over ten kids and they aren't on welfare so who are we to judge. Raising ur family to be an army of god probably isn't the worst way they could be raised would u agree?!?! Not like they r living compound style... If you need to put so much energy and heart into something why don't you get involved with helping fundraise for sick children or stand up for minority rights, volunteer somewhere, instead of getting amped over the Duggar family!

March 31, 2012 9:54 AM

ummmm... really 21 kids... thats just plain WRONG
its not my place to judge there awful name choices, but have 21 kids, doent really follow the image of God and having a clean conscience. No more baby Duggars please- no one wants to hear that "Michelle Duggar is Pregnant again" on the news- they should keep there family life private- it would break my heart if the whole world know my i was having another baby- it wouldnt be special if everyone knew about it.

March 31, 2012 9:56 AM

ops- i meant it was wrong for people to judge her- Michelle is a wonderful person- and i didnt mean what i said- it came out more wrong than i wanted it to say- haha--sorry guys- Love to you and your family Duggars- <3

August 28, 2012 10:08 PM

wtf, what kind of stupid name is JUBILEE???????sounds like a name for a DOG, ruff-ruff....lmfao

March 11, 2013 11:35 PM
By Thaddeus Heffner (not verified)

It's a beautiful name. I like it for their baby girls' name. - Thaddeus Heffner

March 21, 2014 1:22 PM
By nipple (not verified)

I like the valuable info you supply to your articles.
I'll bookmark your blog and test again here frequently.
I am fairly certain I'll be told many new stuff proper right here!
Good luck for the following!

March 21, 2014 6:24 PM

Jubilee is a unique name actually, it is not popular so to speak but it is nice to hear, it is like there is a celebration. - Steven Wyer

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>