Beyonce's Baby Blue: Are Celebrities Looking to a Box of Crayolas for Name Inspiration?

With the bombshell of Blue Ivy Carter’s arrival this weekend, color names are on everyone’s lips. For most of us, our earliest exposure to the breadth of creative color names -- from cerulean to razzmatazz -- is a box of Crayola crayons. That got us thinking, could we fill a box of crayons with Crayola color names turned baby names?

Crayola crayons come in 120 “core” colors, with 400 new colors added since 1903. Crayola’s colors have reflected changes in the times, from changing “flesh” to the more acceptable “peach” in 1962, to the addition of fluorescent hues of the ‘90s. (It’d be hard to imagine “screamin’ green” and “unmellow yellow” crayons in 1903.)

So on to our box of crayon-named babies, all chosen from the 120 core colors:

Violet -- One of Crayola’s original eight colors, Violet has recently exploded for baby girls, climbing up to #123 in 2010. Like many color names on our list, it has the tie-in with a flower by the same name. It also serves a modifier of colors, with violet blue and violet red in the Crayola box.Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner as well as Dave Grohl named their girls Violet.

Burnt Sienna -- This is admittedly coloring outside the lines (har har), no one’s currently attaching the word “burnt” to a child’s name, but Sienna exploded onto the name scene in the mid-2000s. The most famous Sienna, Sienna Miller, is newly pregnant. Perhaps she’ll turn to a box of Crayolas for baby name inspiration?

Olive Green -- A fun alternative to list-topper Olivia, Olive began to surge in 2004. Isla Fisher and Sacha Baron Cohen named their baby Olive in 2007.

Fern -- No famous baby Ferns yet, but we see a lot of potential for Fern. It’s simple, nature-themed like many newly popular names (Willow and Sage, for example), but still uncommon.

Cerise -- This name for one of Crayola’s many pinks definitely has potential. The French word for cherry, it has a sweet, melodious sound. The -ise ending is popular with other European-style names, including Annalise and Eloise.

It being Blue Ivy Carter’s week, we can’t go without mentioning some of Crayola’s many blues -- sky blue, navy blue, Prussian blue (changed to midnight blue in 1958 at teachers’ request), cadet blue, ultra blue, blizzard blue, robin’s egg blue, Pacific blue, blue bell.  Navy is name of one celebrity baby girl, the daughter of Terius "The-Dream" Nash, who also is the dad of a Violet. We like the adherence to the theme.

Some other possibilities for moms inspired by Beyonce’s Crayola-name baby include Thistle, Orchid, Plum, (Raw) Umber, Maize (or Maizey/Maisie).

So there you have it. ROY G BIV it isn’t, but we think you could do some perfectly respectable coloring with our Crayola baby name list.

What do you think? Do you have a favorite Crayola color name? Do you foresee Blue Ivy Carter inspiring more color names?

--A.D.

Comments

January 10, 2012 1:46 PM
By Katie

I wonder if there's actually a Roy G. Biv out there?

Also, I could see Auburn working as a name. Is that a thing?

January 10, 2012 1:51 PM

Fern was the name of the little girl in "Charlotte's Web." I always thought it was really pretty.

January 10, 2012 3:31 PM
By Kay (not verified)

Midnight blue and burnt sienna were my favorite colors in the box and I'd consider the name Sienna for my future daughter.

January 10, 2012 4:54 PM
By Alyssa

I think Auburn is a name, and a color, just not one embraced by Crayola? It has a nice sound, like Aubrey.

January 10, 2012 4:56 PM
By Amity (not verified)

I can think of Gray/Grae and Rose. And Denim, Indigo, Skye--lots of blues. I think Blue and Brown were boys names of long ago--as well as Pink.

January 10, 2012 5:39 PM

Red, Scarlet

January 11, 2012 1:31 PM
By Juli (not verified)

You forgot Lavender. Also, I wonder whether the current surname-as-given name fad will ever spread to Brown, White, Black, Green, or Gold...

January 12, 2012 10:32 AM
By HiLary (not verified)

What about Silver as a name? (though a last name, it's a character on the new 90210) Some others that could work: Maize, Fuchsia, Wisteria, Blush.

January 12, 2012 5:30 PM
By Lisa (not verified)

Magenta. A gorgeous colour, also the name of a Rocky Horror character. The only problem I found when I just googled it is that it is also the name of a sex worker support project here in Australia - oops.

I know a Coral, that's a colour.

Sapphire? Or does that come under precious stone names LOL Xanthe? Azure?

January 12, 2012 11:57 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

This post made me think about the popular children's book series about an elementary school girl named Amber Brown. The title of the first book is "Amber Brown Is Not A Crayon"

January 12, 2012 11:57 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

January 15, 2012 4:25 PM

There is another book in the Amber Brown series where she meets a new little girl at school named Kelly Green and has an identity crisis over not being the only color name in class.

January 17, 2012 2:18 PM
By June (not verified)

I have age 20-something male cousins Teal and Kohl. (Not siblings.)

January 17, 2012 6:52 PM
By Marina (not verified)

When I was in fifth grade, I was assigned one of those "Where will you be in twenty-years?" type projects. My children's names were Cerise, Mauve, Scarlett, and Magenta. (who I'd call Maggie, be'cos Magenta was apparently too ridiculous for me even at age eleven)

January 21, 2012 9:00 PM

Some colors work better as names than others. Blue is not one of them. It's fine for a girl dog on TV ("Blue's Clues"), but bad for a girl human in real life.

February 19, 2012 6:33 PM
By ZR (not verified)

Midnight blue was always my favorite color. I think color names are much more appealing than fruit or other noun names. I like Scarlet, Violet, Amber, Sienna, Sequoia, Kelly. There are also ones that you don't automatically associate with being colors: Sunshine; Hunter; Fern
These are all accepted already. Ones that are not heard which don't sound too strange to me are:
Maroon; Teal; Orchid; or Lilac

September 20, 2012 5:32 AM
By Facebook Game Creator (not verified)

Well this a great website i like it very much.

September 27, 2012 8:26 AM
By Virgin Human Hair Extensions (not verified)

Very nice we blog and useful! I feel i will come back one day !

October 4, 2012 2:16 AM
By Online Logo Design (not verified)

Good job I enjoyed reading your post thanks for sharing.

October 6, 2012 6:58 AM
By Web Design Los Angeles (not verified)

Thanks for the informative writing. Would mind updating some good tips about it. I still wait your next place. ;)

October 18, 2012 12:45 AM
By FIND-WEDDING (not verified)

I read attentively your blog post attentively and i seen your post is very nice and good quality.

November 22, 2012 11:14 PM
By Libido Enhancment Herbs (not verified)

Quality articles is the important to attract the people to pay a visit the website, that�s what this web site is providing.

November 22, 2012 11:15 PM
By Libido Enhancment Herbs (not verified)

December 8, 2012 3:03 AM

111111111111111111111111

December 18, 2012 12:08 AM
By Passionate Lingerie (not verified)

It should be noted that whilst ordering papers for sale at paper writing service, you can get unkind attitude. In case you feel that the bureau is trying to cheat you, don't buy term paper from it.

January 4, 2013 12:52 AM
By Custom Logo Design (not verified)

Wow…I am bowled by your level of knowledge. I am so impressed. I think you have got a deep insight into this topic. Could not think on those lines ever…I think you are gifted…keep going. Thumbs up!

January 7, 2013 5:02 AM
By cheap purchase raspberry ketones (not verified)

I wanted to say that it's nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the first place that told me the answer.

January 7, 2013 5:03 AM
By raspberry ketone reviews (not verified)

I truly loved reading your post.