Singer Josh Kelley released a video for his new song, “Naleigh Moon,” which he wrote for his three year-old daughter, who he adopted with wife Katherine Heigl from South Korea in 2009. In addition to the incredibly sweet home video footage and lyrics that will make you weep with happiness, the song gives us a little insight into how the family uses Naleigh’s nickname as a way to pay tribute to her background and original name.

We’ve talked about the origins of Naleigh’s name before, but Josh explains where the “Moon” comes from:

"Her name is Nancy Leigh Kelley and we push the Nancy and the Leigh together, and we call her Naleigh," Josh told The Boot. "And the 'moon' part of it comes from her original name, Mi-Eun. I'm too redneck to say that, so I just said 'moon.' [laughs] Naleigh Moon, instead of Naleigh Mi-Eun."

The song clears up any pronunciation questions you may have had (it's nay-lee, rather than nah-leigh), and gives us some insight on how the family celebrates Naleigh’s adoption. The video shows various clips of the family spending time together and different parts of Naleigh's life, including a shot of her passport.

In the chorus of what Josh calls “the prettiest song I've ever written in my life,” he sings,

Halfway around my little world / You had no idea that you were my girl / You found my arms not a moment too soon / I couldn't see past me 'til I saw you / Sweet Naleigh Moon."

Rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?

Do your kids have nicknames? Where do they come from? What do you think of the video?

-- K.L.

Comments

February 6, 2012 3:07 AM

Hey Josh Kelley, I truly impressed that you guys mentioned the impression of celebrity baby names very crucial. Thanks!

February 7, 2012 5:41 AM
By mediaprizm (not verified)

Nicely post of "Josh Kelley Releases "Naleigh Moon" And Explains The Origins Of His Daughter's Nickname". Medical Supplies

February 7, 2012 1:58 PM

I wish they would have pronounced it Nah-Leigh...sounds so much better and makes more sense, since it's from Nancy.

February 7, 2012 4:02 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

I kind of hate the names Nancy, Leigh, AND Kelley but I understand the names have personal meaning to their family and I'm not a total Grinch, I get it. The Naleigh nickname isn't so much my style but it's cute and not a bad idea. I like the nod to her birth name with Moon, although I'm a bit confused...is Moon also just a nickname?

My own kids have a few nicknames, but none that really hinge on their real names--more nicknames that are based on incidents or traits. They go by their real names in general and the nicknames are only used among close family.

February 10, 2012 10:43 AM

Her name just sounds like, or brings to mind, "nail." They should have used a short "a" sound, as in "nap" or, more obviously, "Nancy"! Too bad.

April 13, 2012 7:08 AM
By mothers day facebook status (not verified)

Singers have an odd sense of humor apparently, since another famous singer Cher, named her daughter Chastity. Well, admittedly it's not THAT weird a name.

April 22, 2012 8:03 AM
By wilson (not verified)

The Katana was medieval swords developed in the 10th century to enable Japanese calvery to carry out surprise attacks on their enemy and was worn hung from Swords the belt with the cutting edge faced upwards.

May 21, 2012 1:33 AM
By Love Status (not verified)

Love is an emotion of a strong affection and personal attachment.Love Status, How cute baby is this and her nickname is Moon,

July 21, 2012 11:01 PM
By Jessica (not verified)

Naleigh! That is interesting my wife and I is expecting a baby, and I've come across this site. The names that you guys have here are very interesting and intelligent. Check out our Site - aktuell.

January 16, 2013 1:12 AM
By cp1029 (not verified)

8 Jan 2013 – You can't go five minutes without seeing a new batch of iPhone 5 Cases at the 2013 International CES conference in Las Vegas, but the Lego ...

March 14, 2013 8:28 PM

I also give to share an electronic product,I feel pretty good, hope you like
smartphone sales

October 27, 2013 8:57 AM

A unique yet a beautiful name matching the beauty of their lovely child. - Paul Kadri

April 7, 2014 6:21 AM
By Grace Hilton (not verified)

tonsil and adenoid removal It was so nice to know more about the origins of Josh Kelley daughter’s nickname. I was also very happy to know more about the video, which he released for the new song. I also am happy to know that the song clears up any pronunciation question that anyone may have.

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.