New Baby Name Alert: Robert Downey Jr. Welcomes Son Exton Elias

New Baby Name Alert: Robert Downey Jr. Welcomes Son Exton Elias
Fame/Flynet

Here come the X-babies! Actor Robert Downey Jr. and wife Susan welcomed Exton Elias Downey early this morning. This is the couple's first child together. Exton joins older brother Indio, who is 18 and from Downey's first marriage.

The Sherlock Holmes star announced the sex of the baby back in December, but kept the couple's name choice mum until the birth. We had high hopes for an original name and we were not disappointed. The name Exton is unique, however it does follow a few recent trends. Like so many other popular boys names, exton is two syllables, ending in -n. It's a place name like America and Brooklyn and it's got that high-Scrabble value letter X, just to shake things up. In fact, while Exton is rather rare, English surnames that include the letter X are enjoying a steep ascent: Braxton, Paxton, Jaxon are all rapidly climbing the popularity charts.

Exton is also reminiscent of the popular Easton, which has also been rising sharply over the past few years, ranking No. 145 in 2010. Exton could be a new, stylish variant of that. However, unlike nickname-friendly names like Daxton (Dax) or Paxton (Pax), Exton doesn't lend itself to a cute shortener as easily (Ex?).

Elias, a name that has been rooted in the top-1,000 for quite a while, and has been climbing the charts as of late, provides a nice contrast to the more modern and original Exton. Elias ranked No. 141 in 2010 and has Greek and Biblical roots.

What do you think of Exton Elias?

--A.F.

Comments

February 7, 2012 4:11 PM
By Julie (not verified)

As the mom of a 4 yr old Dixon, I think it's a great choice! I'm hearing lots like these in the past year...

February 7, 2012 9:50 PM
By Juli (not verified)

Um. No. Sorry. Fail.

Exton is the next town over to the east. It's known for a proliferation of malls and shopping centers, and not much else. I _really_ wouldn't want to be named for that place.

Leaving the actual antecedents aside, look at the word itself: ex-ton. Someone who lost a whole lot of weight? Ouch.

Grade: F minus.

February 8, 2012 11:16 AM
By mk (not verified)

I think it's fine. Not my favorite but there are certainly much worse celebrity baby names out there. It sounds like a name.

Do many people even know the town of Exton? I had to look it up to see what place name the article was referring to. I'd be more concerned about it being mistaken for Exxon and associations with the company.

I like the name Elias.

February 8, 2012 11:44 AM
By Gina (not verified)

Elias is great--that was on our short list last year, in fact.

Exton... Meh. I thought of the mall-and-concrete-ridden town too, but figured those Hollywood-types probably won't. (The Exxon connection is unfortunate though...)

February 8, 2012 4:11 PM
By Kate (not verified)

Exton - sounds like a name, no random apostrophes or other thingies, straightforward spelling... I'd consider this a totally normal name within today's naming sphere.

February 9, 2012 5:16 AM
By Top 10 name of the 70s (not verified)

I don't get the American obsession with surnames as first names. It's not that common here.

Exton - sextant...I know in Australia you would never get away with an "Ex" name for long without a nickname that started with an "Sex.." at the start. I am afraid that "Dixon" (Dick's son, Dicks on, Dick zone etc) would suffer the same fate.

And Braxton - really? You mean as in "Hicks"?? We have a few "Baxter"s down under, but nothing that so obviously invites ridicule.

February 11, 2012 9:27 AM
By Allison (not verified)

Elias is gorgeous.

I will ignore the rest of the name.

February 15, 2012 1:11 PM

Hope you don't call him "dix!"

May 4, 2012 3:17 AM
By makise (not verified)

This site is awesome. My spouse and i constantly come across a new challenge & diverse in this article.
Manhole

May 14, 2012 11:13 PM
By dani (not verified)

You're in point of fact a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity on this subject!
jual sepatu

May 22, 2012 11:00 PM
By popihun (not verified)

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me.
Arti nama

June 8, 2012 4:30 AM
By andrieturner (not verified)

Unique name, it was like a beautiful and peaceful place in Pennsylvania.

ipad 2 keyboard case

July 17, 2012 5:49 AM
By Velma Pagers (not verified)

This blog is disseminating valuable information to people who are most concerned of the following issues being targeted by this site. Many certainly will keep coming back to check out updated posts. Lanoxin Generic

July 19, 2012 2:30 AM
By caceres (not verified)

We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with helpful information to paintings on. You have done an impressive job and our whole group will be thankful to you.
baju branded

August 31, 2012 3:19 AM
By hwayoung (not verified)

Your article is very nice and gave us an important and interesting information. Hopefully you can make an interesting article that I would often visit to read your article.
toko bunga semarang

September 20, 2012 1:01 AM
By Zeze Kays (not verified)

Hopefully next article more interesting.This article is very interesting and innovative, many articles that I read but the most interesting article. Thank you so much.
xamthone plus

October 1, 2012 10:35 PM
By agnes (not verified)

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, I am just so done with finding junk via the internet, eventually a well produced and unified submit that's really about the subject I am enthusiastic about. - toko sepatu online

November 7, 2012 3:56 AM
By vhiao (not verified)

Car Parking Sensor wholesale stores from China☆Nowadays the roads get busier with more vehicles and pedestrians☆Buying reverse parking backup sensor. Indulge in affordable luxury with this timeless round Shell Pearl Necklace. Large and luminous white shell pearls are double knotted on coordinating cord to ...

February 19, 2013 8:31 PM

the rapid development of electronic products, now I introduce a good electronic products
ipad mini cases

July 4, 2013 2:40 AM
By meme (not verified)

You're so cool! I don't think I've read anything like this before. So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. Thanks for starting this up. - sewa mobil semarang

November 9, 2013 7:59 AM
By marty789 (not verified)

Congratulations for your new baby boy! That name was great and it really fit to your baby. - YORHealth

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.