Celebrity Baby Name Alert: A Girl Named Elliotte for Former Child Star

Celebrity Baby Name Alert: A Girl Named Elliotte for Former Child Star
Fame/Flynet

Marla Sokoloff is another new mom who adapted a “boy name” for her baby girl. The actress, who started out on Full House and has appeared in other shows including The Practice, welcomed her first child with husband Alec Puro this week and named the little girl Elliotte Anne Puro.

Hmmm…We wonder if Elliotte Anne and Lindsay Sloane’s new daughter Maxwell Leu are going to grow up to be best friends?

Elliotte is a feminine twist on the boy name staples Elliot and Elliott, as well as less frequently used Eliot and Eliott, a name of Greek and Hebrew origins (Marla is Jewish) meaning “the Lord is my God.” It also has hints of really popular names like Ellie and Ella (Nos. 104  and 13 for girls) as well as Eli, which is No. 65 for boys and is also being used for girls. Eliiot is also one of the names our own Name Lady mentioned in a recent column about giving girls traditionally male names.

The name Elliotte could have been inspired by any number of people because not only is it a first name but it’s a surname. Perhaps Marla is a fan of T.S. Eliot, the poet whose work Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats inspired the Broadway musical Cats. Sticking with the literary world, the main character in Jane Austen’s last completed novel Persuasion was Anne Elliot—the reverse order of Marla’s baby name. And girls named Elliot aren’t unheard of—watchers of TV’s Scrubs might remember Sarah Chalke’s character was Dr. Elliot Reid (though no “te” at the end).

If you like the Ell- beginning and want to look outside Elliotte or the popular Ella and Ellie, here are a couple other ideas… Elloise (a feminine form of Louis "famous in war"), Elleanor and Ellinette (both derived from Eleanor meaning "bright" and "light"), Ellianna ("the Lord has responded") and Ellery ("alder tree").

There are loads of other suggestions with that widely liked Ell- beginning -- just plug it into BabyNameWizard.com's NameFinder and you'll see what comes up.

What do you think of Elliotte for a girl? Is it something you’d consider if it was spelled traditionally—without the “e”? How does Elliotte compare to Maxwell as far as a girl’s name?

--S.B.

Comments

February 11, 2012 9:21 AM
By Allison (not verified)

Elliott - any spelling - is a boy's name. It's terrible on a girl.
Maxwell, however, is way worse on a girl than Elliott.

Both are bad choices for a girl, in my opinion. Aren't there enough feminine names out there that we don't have to steal boy names for girls?

February 11, 2012 12:06 PM
By Emily (not verified)

Love it! Such a cute name. Don't think it was necessary to change the spelling to make it more "girly" though.

February 11, 2012 1:34 PM

It's fine. No one is stealing any name. You can stil name your boys Eliot.

To me it's a surname more than a first name anyway, and plenty of women have the last name of Eliot.

February 11, 2012 7:11 PM

I like Elliotte, actually. Very nice. I knew a little girl a few years ago with that name actually. She went by Ellie.

February 11, 2012 11:43 PM

one of the little girls on a quints by surprise was named eliot, i think its cute although the spelling is a little strange

February 14, 2012 1:02 PM
By Another British Laura (not verified)

I loved that Elliot on Scrubs was called Elliot and thought that it suited her. Hopefully this baby girl has a name that suits her, but I don't think that it needed to be spelt with the 'te' on the end.
As for Maxwell it's not a name I would use for my daughter and still seems to me to be very much s boys name. I guess if it is shortened to Max it almost works because of Maxine but if I were to use either Maxwell or Max it would definitely be for a boy.

February 14, 2012 2:54 PM

The addition of the 'e' to the end does nothing to feminize the name. Also, I keep trying to say it more like Eloise--that 'e' is really messing with my head on this one.

That said, I really like Elliot for a girl. I'm not usually a fan of male names on little girls, but this one works.

February 14, 2012 4:02 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

I guess I don't understand why someone would choose a unisex or traditionally masculine name for their daughter and then butcher the spelling to make it more "feminine." If they wanted a a name that made it clear that the child was a girl, why not just choose a traditionally feminine name? I like unisex and gender-bending names, but I think if parents are going to use them, they should commit to the choice they have made.

And I've always liked "Max" on a girl, but never found a feminine long-form that I liked. Going straight to a masculine long-form does solve that problem!

February 15, 2012 3:24 PM
By Faith (not verified)

Don't really like it, but Elli (or Ellie) is a cute nickname, so I guess it could work.

February 15, 2012 8:57 PM

I think it's a cute way to feminize the name Elliot- maybe it'll be more popular in the future, when more dads are named Elliot and they want to pass on the name through a daughter.

February 16, 2012 11:19 AM
By Melina (not verified)

The character Elliot Reed on scrubs was named such b/c her father wanted a boy. It's interesting to me that that name has really taking off for girls. Soon it will no longer be a masculine name.

February 16, 2012 4:57 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

I don't mind El(l)iot(t) for a girl so much as the spelling really throws me off. Elliotte doesn't LOOK like Eliot feminized, it looks like Ellie + Charlotte smashed together. In type and on paper, it just isn't visually appealing.

February 23, 2012 11:04 AM

My mind keeps coming to Deloitte when I read "Elliotte," as in Deloitte & Touche which, in turn, I often read as Toilette and Douche. Maybe I'm a bit dyslexic.

February 24, 2012 2:03 PM

My son is called Elliot. I think it's a really nice name but I wouldn't use it for a girl. Also the way the Elliotte is spelled I find terrible(reminds me of Toilette). I think if you want to use El(l)iot(t) for a girl try spelling it with a Y like Elyot perhaps?

March 15, 2012 6:06 PM
By AbuelaKatie (not verified)

I think they're both fantastic!

March 31, 2012 11:03 PM

George Stephanopoulos has a daughter named Elliott.

October 9, 2012 7:08 PM

We named our daughter Elliott back in 2005 and couldn't be happier! It is cute and spunky like her! She uses Ellie as a nickname.

November 20, 2013 12:33 AM

We've just named our baby girl Elliot, nn Ellie. And I heard today of someone else who just did the same. Obviously we love it! We have caught some crap for it though. Only from the older generation.

October 28, 2014 12:20 PM
By Teddy (not verified)

Hah! Beat y'all. Our Elliotte was born in 2007.