Celebrity Baby Name Alert: Welcome Maple Sylvie, Jason Bateman's New Sweetie

Celebrity Baby Name Alert: Welcome Maple Sylvie, Jason Bateman's New Sweetie
Fame/Flynet

It's another girl for Jason Bateman and his wife, actress Amanda Anka, who welcomed their second child last week on Feb. 10. The new addition, named Maple Sylvie Bateman, joins 5 year old big sister Francesca Nora

Maple doesn't have the same originality as a fruit or color name, but the combination of food and nature puts it in the company of names like Sage, Juniper and Saffron. Maple is also clearly reminiscent of the turn of the century classic Mabel, but with a trendy spin. Although the inspiration for Maple is not yet known, Anka's father, the singer Paul Anka, hails from one of the places most associated with the maple leaf  Canada.

Maple might not be entirely new, but it hasn't yet broken the top 1,000 most popular list of names. With this publicity and its delicious and attractive imagery, however, the name may become more mainstream. It might not be the next Willow or Ivy, but with the trend of nature names, it wouldn't be surprising to see Maple on the charts soon enough.

Sylvie, a nature name in its purest form, is an interesting compliment to Maple. According to Namipedia, the name is derived from Silvia, which comes from the Latin "silva," meaning forest. As for the combination of Maple Sylvie, it is very melodious, but it does make our mouths water a bit for some maple syrup.

What do you think of Maple Sylvie? What other nature names do you like?

--A.F.

Comments

February 16, 2012 9:14 PM

Sylvie was our choice for a daughter; we had a son. I still love the name 20+ years later. It's such a pretty, feminine name and I wonder why Jason and Amanda didn't choose Sylvie as her first name...

February 16, 2012 9:35 PM
By Jennie

While I think Maple is cute (May + Apple?), I think Maple & Francesca don't make a good sibling set -- one of those girls is definitely going to be jealous of the other's name. Maybe they both will!

February 16, 2012 10:34 PM

I think Maple is cute, but I wouldn't have picked a middle starting w S- brings to mind Maple Syrup immediately!

February 17, 2012 12:12 AM

Sylvie is a reasonable sibling match for Francesca but Maple is a whole other country.

February 17, 2012 1:28 AM
By House of Lovelock (not verified)

I'd be afraid I'd actually mistakenly call the child "Maple Syrup" since they are so similar! I'm not a fan. (Sidenote: What would a nickname be for Maple? It's a mouthful although so short.)

February 17, 2012 3:20 PM
By leigh (not verified)

I know a Maple (baby) and I think it's a cute name. Not one I'd personally pick, but it's cute. And I like Sylvie just fine. BUT--as hinted at in the last sentence of this article--the combination is not sitting well with me because of following Maple with a name that begins with the same two letters as Syrup...it's almost impossible for your brain not to fill in the blank there. It's taking what could have been a bold but ultimately adorable choice and pushing it a little too far, IMO.

February 20, 2012 6:49 PM
By Stephanie (not Steffy) (not verified)

They could always call her May for short, and that would eliminate the Maple Syrup associations, for me- May Sylvie is cute too. Maple Sylvie is a bit much for me, personally- but May is such a cute nickname for it, I like it a little more than I would have. Francesca and May sound cute together.

February 21, 2012 12:31 AM
By Anon (not verified)

I don;t think sibling names have to match necessarily, but Maple and Francesca are twoo far apart stylistically. Maple Syrup never occurred to me, and most people don't often use their middle name.

February 21, 2012 12:55 PM
By Aschocia School (not verified)

She's going to say "No, not Mabel, MAPLE, like the tree," all her life. It's also not a name that automatically reads as female (which might be what they were going for, or not).

February 21, 2012 1:16 PM

Francesca got lucky. Poor little Maple Bateman got screwed.

February 21, 2012 1:35 PM

Maple is awful; Sylvie is cute. But...it'll all be fine in the end!

February 21, 2012 2:47 PM

I love it. Love both girls names, actually, in different ways. Nobody ever said sib names have to be matchy.

February 21, 2012 3:34 PM

they should have just named her mabel (mable?) maple will constantly need to clarify herself and sounds too much like "nipple".

February 28, 2012 5:39 PM

Maple is even worse than Apple!

April 30, 2012 10:52 PM

I really hope that Sylvia and Sylvie don't get too popular!! My 3 y/o's name is Sylvia and part of the reason it was chosen was that it wasn't too common.

August 2, 2012 2:51 AM
By jasmine (not verified)

Post is nicely written and it contains many good things for me. I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post. virtualqwertykeyboard.com

June 13, 2013 5:20 AM

Such names are beautiful for this cute baby. I love it. - Travis Jones Rush Properties

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.