Inspired by Maple Bateman? Take Your Nature Names to the Next Level With Our Guide

Credit Kerry Wixted

The past few years have seen a boon of names inspired by the plants and animals in the great outdoors, most recently with Jason Bateman’s daughter Maple Sylvie. While Willow and Sage are skyrocketing, we’ve also seen some more creative nature names, such as Evangeline Lilly’s Kahekili and Eric Church’s Boone. While we’re not suggesting anyone name a baby Pileated Woodpecker, we think there’s a lot of places to go with nature names. Let’s break it down, shall we?

Here are the categories in the NameCandy Field Guide to Nature Names:

Common plants/animals you never thought about as a name. Everyone can imagine what a sparrow looks like and has picked their share of clover looking for the lucky four-leaf, but until Nicole Richie’s Sparrow and Neal McDonough’s Clover, no one thought of them as baby names. In this vein, we see potential with Sycamore, which has a melodious, feminine sound. Glory (as in Morning) is also a possibility, with crossover potential as a faith-based name. Pine and Wren are simple and romantic.

Fun Latin Words. Sure, Willow has had its day in the sun, but why not the Latin name for willow, Salix? We could practically see this as the new X-name for the Jolie-Pitt crew! Acacia is another genus of plants that we could see as a feminine, flowery name. Verbena is also a fun plant genus-turned-name, on trend with the V-names we’ve seen recently.

Less-than-Common Common Names. Juniper could be a nature name with a quirky sound and trend potential. Aster is a genus of flower, or a name with a modern, androgynous sound. Poplar could be a fun variation of on-the-rise Poppy. Yarrow, a flowering plant, is undoubtedly in the Sparrow family for cool nature names.

But the nature name lover’s secret weapon? Look no further than the dragonflies. These are all real common names of dragonflies and damselflies: Violet Dancer, Widow Skimmer, Harlequin Darner, Laura's Clubtail, Mocha Emerald, Unicorn Clubtail...okay, admittedly, these all sound like (bad) rock bands, not baby names, but we can’t help but think name nerds had some hand in the common names of dragonflies and damselflies.

What do you think of the nature name trend? Do you have a favorite name inspired by the great outdoors? Tell us about it in the comments.

--A.D.

Comments

February 28, 2012 1:09 PM
By Valerie (not verified)

I like some of these ideas, and already like some nature names, such as Fern, Bryony, etc. Sycamore looks lovely, but does start with the syllable 'sick', unfortunately.

Clover does already have a precedent as the name of Katy's sister in the classic "What Katy Did", and I love it!

Like you, I think trees are a good source of more unusual names- e.g. Cypress, Sequoia, Acacia, Magnolia. Maybe Spruce for a boy? Hornbeam? Um, well, Horny for short, might not be so good. ;)

February 28, 2012 1:21 PM

I love nature names. My favorites are Willow, Leaf, Ashley, Poppy, Winterlyn, Summery, Apple, Violet, Meadow, Prairie, Valley, Rain, Storm, Starr, Briar Rose and Breeze are just a few my favorite nature names. There are many more. :)

February 28, 2012 1:51 PM
By @aammyyss (not verified)

How about Ginger - flower and a spice. DD's name... people have very strong reactions - most of them incredibly positive.

February 28, 2012 1:57 PM
By Top 10 name of the 70s (not verified)

You could go offshore and try some Australian plant names. We have

Jarrah
Karri
Protea
Banksia
Jacaranda
Acacia
Wattle
Casuarina
Mulga
Boronia
Waratah

and, of course

Eucalypt!

Jokes aside - I do know boys called Jarrah and I guess that "Karri" could be a badly spelled version of "Carrie".

February 28, 2012 4:16 PM

My boys are Field and Springer!

February 28, 2012 8:22 PM
By Debbie S. (not verified)

I went to school with an Acacia and always loved her name. Juniper is my top girls name... but I keep having boys! Glad that the nature names keep coming up. I think that's the place to go to find classy unique names with secret nerd power :)

July 17, 2012 2:29 AM
By jasmine (not verified)

Post is nicely written and it contains many good things for me. I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post. a to zee fashions

July 19, 2012 3:12 AM
By jasmine (not verified)

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Nice site and the article are posting are very nice. Hi, good luck man and thanks for sharing this post with us. abrandylook

July 19, 2012 3:14 AM
By fashion look (not verified)

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.

July 20, 2012 6:26 AM
By jasmine (not verified)

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff on your post. dog door

July 22, 2012 11:22 PM
By jasmine (not verified)

Someone I work using sessions your blog in many cases along with advisable the item to me to learn in addition. The actual writing style is definitely excellent and the submissions are useful. Information information you provide the visitors! tips for healthy eating

July 24, 2012 4:36 AM
By fashionweekinn (not verified)

Thanks for sharing this useful information! Hope that you will continue with

August 2, 2012 2:43 AM
By jasmine (not verified)

Post is nicely written and it contains many good things for me. I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post. thegirlsshopping.com

August 2, 2012 12:37 PM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post.your provided information is easy to understand and implement.3 credit score

August 7, 2012 12:39 AM
By babo (not verified)

Does your name activate with: A, U are not decidedly romantic, jeux de voiture but you are absorbed in action.You beggarly business. With you, what you see is what you get.You accept no backbone for flirting and can't be agitated jeux de mario with anyone who is aggravating to be coy, cute, demure, and cautiously enticing.

August 7, 2012 12:41 AM
By amir (not verified)

Does your name activate with: F, You are abstracted and romantic, jeux de moto putting your lover on a pedestal. You attending for the actual best acquaintance you can acquisition . You are a flirt, yet already committed, you are actual loyal. You are carnal and abreast passionate. Publicly, Giochi Per Ragazze you can be showy, extravagant, and gallant. You are a built-in romantic.

August 9, 2012 5:47 AM
By Jerry123 (not verified)

Now, become easy for me to understand and apply the concept. managed VPS hosting Thanks for sharing the post.

August 15, 2012 6:10 PM
By JAckysoom (not verified)

Someone who works with sessions of your blog, in many cases, Click here along with the subject advises me to learn, too. The actual writing style is certainly an excellent

August 18, 2012 12:24 PM
By Jerryjay (not verified)

Post is well written and contains many good things for me. gas boilers Glad to find your way awesome write the message.

August 24, 2012 10:35 AM
By Jasica (not verified)

Thanks for the great post, I was looking for it since for a long time, glad to found it, Click here I have bookmarked it to keep update.

September 2, 2012 1:57 PM
By Jerry123 (not verified)

I think he definitely makes some great points in this book. Read more Social media is definitely a good thing and so much to get from it. The book is definitely a must read.

September 17, 2012 6:24 AM
By alex adam (not verified)

Thanks for sharing this. We're always looking for smart resources to share with clients and my colleagues, and this article is certainly worth sharing!
Coursework Help | UK Coursework Help | Statistics Coursework Help | Sociology Coursework Help | GCSE Coursework Help | GCSE Science Coursework Help

October 2, 2012 12:43 PM
By Yasir Mehmood (not verified)

I would like to acknowledge you for the efforts you accept fabricated in autograph this post.your provided advice is simple to accept and implement.
imagens para facebook | mensagens para celular | mensagens para facebook

October 15, 2012 5:54 AM
By Jerry123 (not verified)

How about Ginger - flowers and spice. DD name ... people have Click here very strong reactions - most of them overwhelmingly positive.

October 17, 2012 8:51 AM
By maids in Chicago (not verified)

Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great article. It is so interesting. I want to know some other information about this site. So please give me this news quickly. I always will be aware of you.

October 18, 2012 9:34 PM

Nice sharing.Will come to visit again.

Adele Bags

November 13, 2012 4:46 PM
By Jerry (not verified)

Clover I have no wealth like the name of her sister Katie's classic "What Katie Did", and I love it! Sirup

November 22, 2012 5:38 AM
By ros (not verified)

Terrific posting together with outstanding post.Advantageous to discover, he did this a remarkable place. I favor these types of write-up that's connected with actuality rose

November 28, 2012 2:10 AM
By Jerey123 (not verified)

How about didi name? people have good reaction? Or will you go with some odd names ? what about jasicas. See more

November 29, 2012 6:12 AM
By shary (not verified)

Thank you very much for the purpose of putting up and also writing this excellent short article. It is so fascinating. I'm going to realize some other info on this fabulous site. Which means you need to produce the good news rather quickly. It's my job to will undoubtedly be cognizant of you'll.
shary

December 11, 2012 2:41 PM
By eddy (not verified)

marriland team builder
mod loader minecraft

December 11, 2012 5:15 PM
By Lisabeta (not verified)

Thanks for this useful information , i hope to read other information like this , great blog thanks and keep bloging :)
URL

December 12, 2012 1:45 AM
By EA Cricket 2012 (not verified)

"I always like to read a quality content having accurate information regarding the subject and the same thing I found in this post. Nice work."

December 25, 2012 6:14 AM
By nice post (not verified)

kostenlos book of ra spielen|

Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely discover it. There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice factors in options also.
We have a research strategy to develop a mass spectrometry-based method for mapping the similarities between cancers as well as cancer-specific markers.

January 9, 2013 1:44 AM

January 10, 2013 12:07 AM
By ice cream pictures (not verified)

Hmmm that really suprizing content in this post, Its give me some knowledge

January 16, 2013 1:40 AM
By Marie Antoinette Wallpaper (not verified)

January 16, 2013 1:40 AM
By Marie Antoinette Wallpaper (not verified)

January 28, 2013 6:33 AM
By Carl Maxwell (not verified)

These are all real common names of dragonflies and damselflies Movers and Packers in Dubai

February 5, 2013 8:55 PM
By cherrin (not verified)

Buy apple accessories of cases, screen protects, chargers, earphones and so on at ahappydeal.com

February 7, 2013 3:10 AM
By adam luis (not verified)

These are all real common names of dragonflies and damselflies Ergonomic Chairs

February 8, 2013 5:50 AM

i like that name.. yeh that's also inspiring.. I wish I have my own child too in the future and I really wanna see it. What is ferrous metal?

February 13, 2013 12:42 AM
By maricor (not verified)

Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post. pdu pmp | Agile PMI training

February 13, 2013 12:45 AM
By johnungab (not verified)

I thought I would find this much earlier considering how good the information is. I found it on google search after going through a lot of other information that was not really relevant. pmp practice test | pmp exam fee

February 25, 2013 12:48 AM
By useful writing tips (not verified)

I want to encourage you to continue your great work, have a happy weekend!Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent.Thanks
writing hq

March 3, 2013 6:32 AM
By kallu (not verified)

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.ofertas aire acondicionado centralizado sevilla

March 4, 2013 4:14 AM
By ahmad222 (not verified)

If you are interested in computer based training for Microsoft Office 2010 or any other Microsoft certification, have a look at the U.K based computer based training firm mcse training at www.office2010professional.com

March 12, 2013 5:58 AM
By Buy Essays Online (not verified)

Thanks for the information appreciated been reading for awhile, and just wanted to let you know I continue to enjoy your writing.

March 29, 2013 2:07 AM
By best price (not verified)

Better late than never. After a lengthy delay, LG has finally released its flagship Optimus G smartphone in Australia, exclusively through Telstra. -ahappydeal

April 7, 2013 11:52 AM
By AnonymousS (not verified)

who can do client profiling and database cleansing and verification. If they have websites, it's best also to GCSE Maths

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.