Inspired by Maple Bateman? Take Your Nature Names to the Next Level With Our Guide

Credit Kerry Wixted

The past few years have seen a boon of names inspired by the plants and animals in the great outdoors, most recently with Jason Bateman’s daughter Maple Sylvie. While Willow and Sage are skyrocketing, we’ve also seen some more creative nature names, such as Evangeline Lilly’s Kahekili and Eric Church’s Boone. While we’re not suggesting anyone name a baby Pileated Woodpecker, we think there’s a lot of places to go with nature names. Let’s break it down, shall we?

Here are the categories in the NameCandy Field Guide to Nature Names:

Common plants/animals you never thought about as a name. Everyone can imagine what a sparrow looks like and has picked their share of clover looking for the lucky four-leaf, but until Nicole Richie’s Sparrow and Neal McDonough’s Clover, no one thought of them as baby names. In this vein, we see potential with Sycamore, which has a melodious, feminine sound. Glory (as in Morning) is also a possibility, with crossover potential as a faith-based name. Pine and Wren are simple and romantic.

Fun Latin Words. Sure, Willow has had its day in the sun, but why not the Latin name for willow, Salix? We could practically see this as the new X-name for the Jolie-Pitt crew! Acacia is another genus of plants that we could see as a feminine, flowery name. Verbena is also a fun plant genus-turned-name, on trend with the V-names we’ve seen recently.

Less-than-Common Common Names. Juniper could be a nature name with a quirky sound and trend potential. Aster is a genus of flower, or a name with a modern, androgynous sound. Poplar could be a fun variation of on-the-rise Poppy. Yarrow, a flowering plant, is undoubtedly in the Sparrow family for cool nature names.

But the nature name lover’s secret weapon? Look no further than the dragonflies. These are all real common names of dragonflies and damselflies: Violet Dancer, Widow Skimmer, Harlequin Darner, Laura's Clubtail, Mocha Emerald, Unicorn Clubtail...okay, admittedly, these all sound like (bad) rock bands, not baby names, but we can’t help but think name nerds had some hand in the common names of dragonflies and damselflies.

What do you think of the nature name trend? Do you have a favorite name inspired by the great outdoors? Tell us about it in the comments.

--A.D.

Comments

February 28, 2012 1:09 PM
By Valerie (not verified)

I like some of these ideas, and already like some nature names, such as Fern, Bryony, etc. Sycamore looks lovely, but does start with the syllable 'sick', unfortunately.

Clover does already have a precedent as the name of Katy's sister in the classic "What Katy Did", and I love it!

Like you, I think trees are a good source of more unusual names- e.g. Cypress, Sequoia, Acacia, Magnolia. Maybe Spruce for a boy? Hornbeam? Um, well, Horny for short, might not be so good. ;)

February 28, 2012 1:21 PM

I love nature names. My favorites are Willow, Leaf, Ashley, Poppy, Winterlyn, Summery, Apple, Violet, Meadow, Prairie, Valley, Rain, Storm, Starr, Briar Rose and Breeze are just a few my favorite nature names. There are many more. :)

February 28, 2012 1:51 PM
By @aammyyss (not verified)

How about Ginger - flower and a spice. DD's name... people have very strong reactions - most of them incredibly positive.

February 28, 2012 1:57 PM
By Top 10 name of the 70s (not verified)

You could go offshore and try some Australian plant names. We have

Jarrah
Karri
Protea
Banksia
Jacaranda
Acacia
Wattle
Casuarina
Mulga
Boronia
Waratah

and, of course

Eucalypt!

Jokes aside - I do know boys called Jarrah and I guess that "Karri" could be a badly spelled version of "Carrie".

February 28, 2012 4:16 PM

My boys are Field and Springer!

February 28, 2012 8:22 PM
By Debbie S. (not verified)

I went to school with an Acacia and always loved her name. Juniper is my top girls name... but I keep having boys! Glad that the nature names keep coming up. I think that's the place to go to find classy unique names with secret nerd power :)

July 19, 2012 3:14 AM
By fashion look (not verified)

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.

July 24, 2012 4:36 AM
By fashionweekinn (not verified)

Thanks for sharing this useful information! Hope that you will continue with

October 17, 2012 8:51 AM
By maids in Chicago (not verified)

Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great article. It is so interesting. I want to know some other information about this site. So please give me this news quickly. I always will be aware of you.

November 22, 2012 5:38 AM
By ros (not verified)

Terrific posting together with outstanding post.Advantageous to discover, he did this a remarkable place. I favor these types of write-up that's connected with actuality rose

December 12, 2012 1:45 AM
By EA Cricket 2012 (not verified)

"I always like to read a quality content having accurate information regarding the subject and the same thing I found in this post. Nice work."

January 9, 2013 1:44 AM
By Download Need For Speed Most Wanted Game For Free (not verified)

January 10, 2013 12:07 AM
By ice cream pictures (not verified)

Hmmm that really suprizing content in this post, Its give me some knowledge

January 16, 2013 1:40 AM
By Marie Antoinette Wallpaper (not verified)

January 16, 2013 1:40 AM
By Marie Antoinette Wallpaper (not verified)

March 12, 2013 5:58 AM
By Buy Essays Online (not verified)

Thanks for the information appreciated been reading for awhile, and just wanted to let you know I continue to enjoy your writing.