Flower Names for the Pop Culture Set

Flower Names for the Pop Culture Set

The crocuses are in bloom across much of the northeast and we've got flower names on the brain, thanks to a recent visit to the 2012 Philadelphia International Flower Show, courtesy of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and the Lowes Philadelphia Hotel

In case you've never heard of it, the Philadelphia Flower show brings together plant and flower lovers from around the world for the biggest exposition of flower specimens, garden designs, garden-based cooking, art and commerce all in one place for a week-long festival.  (This year's show runs through this weekend, so there's still time to catch it!)

This year's flower show theme is Hawaii, so let's first focus on name inspired by the flowers of Hawaii:

Some other flower names with a celebrity or pop culture bent you might consider:

• Lily - A popular celebrity baby name choice, Lily has been used by celebs from Kevin Costner and Greg Kinnear to Kate Beckinsale and Meredith Viera for their daughters.  Of course, pop star Lily Allen recently named her own daughter Ethel.
  • Rose - We recently wrote that Rose is the #1 middle name choice for celebirty babies. Would your baby by any other name smell so sweet?
  • Tulip - Tulip is the perfect middle name for a girl named Charlie, at least according to Rebecca Romjin and Jerry O'Connell.  We recently wrote that Dolly Parton inspired Charlie Tamara Tulip's twin's name.
  • Daisy -  Daisy Duke, Jessica Simpson's dog, Daisy Buchanan, Daisy Fuentes.  If you love the cheerful daisy, the name has plenty of cross-cultural appeal.
  • Margarita - Jimmy Buffett sang about wasting away in Margaritaville, but the Margarita is a type of daisy.
  • Chrysanthemum- The title character of Kevin Henke's children's book Chrysanthemum hates her name until she realizes her beloved (and pregnant) teacher is named Delphinium and plans to name her baby Chrysanthemum.
  • Blossom - Blosom was Mayim Bialik's beloved title character on the 80's sitcom, Blossom.
  • Marigold - If you are of a certain generation you remember the book The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds. Winston Churchill had a daughter named Marigold
  • Hyacinth - Well known to fans of British sitcoms, Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouquet), was the main character of teh long-running comedy Keeping Up Apearances. Are You Being Served?
  • Magnolia - Not too many celebrity babies named Magnolia...yet.  We think Magnolia is on the verge of getting hot.  It calls to mind both the lovely flowering tree and the movies Magnolia and Steel Magnolias. And it nicknames easily to Maggie.
  • Violet - Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck named their first daughter Violet.  But to us, the original pop culture Violet will always be Violet Beaurigard from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
  • Poppy - The bright red flower makes us think "peppy."  Jamie Oliver and Anthony edwards both named daughters Poppy.
  • Petal -  Another Jamie Oliver choice
  • Lotus - If you like flower names and your husband likes car names, Lotus could be for you.  Celebrity chef Richard Blais chose Lotus as a middle name for his daughter last year.

If you want to go beyond these flower names, check out our piece on unexpected nature names. And tell us some of your favorite flower names in the comments below.

--J.B.

Comments

March 10, 2012 9:30 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

I'm in love with Lilac!! My favorite flower would make a lovely middle name!

March 10, 2012 9:51 PM
By KrisMichelle (not verified)

Hyacinth Bucket was the main character on Keeping Up Appearances, not Are You Being Served.

I've long had a soft spot for Tulip, and think Tillie could make a nice nickname for it.

March 11, 2012 10:49 AM

my sister's guinea pig is named chrysanthemum after that book, she calls her chrissy, i can not imagine a child named that, they wouldn't be able to spell their name till middle school

March 11, 2012 1:11 PM
By maui girl (not verified)

I love that you posted about Hawai'ian flowers! Thank you!

Lokelani is the official flower for the island of Maui-- each island has its own flower associated with it. It is a pink, small, cottage-rose known for its color and scent. Being from Maui, I have always loved this name, pronounced LOW-Keh-LAA-Niy, and have liked the meaning, loke= rose, lani= heavenly. I think it would be a fine, unique choice as a middle name.

March 13, 2012 12:41 PM
By Keren (not verified)

There's also Violet from the Lemony Snicket books - a great role model.

March 13, 2012 2:19 PM
By beth (not verified)

My daughter's name is Iris, which I believe is shared by Jude Law's daughter. It was a nice middle ground between my love of old-fashioned names and my husband's love of nature names!

March 13, 2012 9:47 PM
By Heidi (not verified)

When my teenage daughter, a fellow name nerd, found out that the word "orchid" comes from the Latin word for "testicle" she deadpanned "I guess that's why they don't name baby girls Orchid!"

March 13, 2012 10:05 PM
By Jane (not verified)

I love Marigold with a passion. I can understand the appeal of Magnolia too. Violet and Rose are classic and gorgeous. Ahhhhhh flower names. Love them.

March 14, 2012 10:37 PM

I know a Dahlia. I like that name a bit better than most of the ones on this list

March 20, 2012 12:55 PM
By Azure (not verified)

Melia is the Hawaiian word for the plumeria flower.

June 11, 2012 2:18 AM
By Renae Cagle (not verified)

July 19, 2012 3:16 AM
By fashion review (not verified)

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.

November 22, 2012 5:34 AM
By reidac (not verified)

Fabulous write-up and good put up.Advantageous to check out, consider the 63 a superb publish. I'm keen on these kinds of content that may be connected with actuality reidac

October 3, 2013 6:25 AM
By รับทำ seo (not verified)

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
blog. I am hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to
get my own blog now ;)

October 5, 2013 1:13 AM
By กลูต้า (not verified)

This design is wicked! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to
start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job.
I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

October 21, 2013 8:24 AM
By ไฟซีนอน (not verified)

When someone writes an article he/she maintains the idea of a user in his/her mind that how a user
can understand it. Therefore that's why this post is perfect.
Thanks!

November 12, 2013 2:13 PM
By methyltestosterone prices (not verified)

Phar&X6d;aEurope.net sells real l&X65;git anabolic steroids.
All theikr stuff is authen&X74;ic and &X6F;f very high qualіty -
here yo&X75; can &X62;uy tes&X74;ostеrone, а&X6e;adrol,
trenbolon&X65;, human growth hormone, cyt&X6F;mel, T3,
and more without prescription

December 1, 2013 8:30 PM
By omegle talk to strangers (not verified)

Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my website so i
came to return the prefer?.I am attempting to in finding
things to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use a few of
your ideas!!

December 1, 2013 8:35 PM
By free cam sex (not verified)

Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site so i came to return the choose?.I
am attempting to find issues to improve my web site!I guess its good enough to use
some of your ideas!!

December 2, 2013 11:56 AM
By รับทำ seo (not verified)

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post!
It is the little changes that will make the most significant changes.
Many thanks for sharing!

January 26, 2014 12:25 AM
By ประกันภัยรถยนต์ (not verified)

Hello to all, the contents present at this site are genuinely amazing for people knowledge,
well, keep up the nice work fellows.

February 27, 2014 12:17 AM
By ช่างกุญแจ (not verified)

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet viewers, its really really nice piece of writing on building
up new blog.