Flower Names for the Pop Culture Set
The crocuses are in bloom across much of the northeast and we've got flower names on the brain, thanks to a recent visit to the 2012 Philadelphia International Flower Show, courtesy of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and the Lowes Philadelphia Hotel.
In case you've never heard of it, the Philadelphia Flower show brings together plant and flower lovers from around the world for the biggest exposition of flower specimens, garden designs, garden-based cooking, art and commerce all in one place for a week-long festival. (This year's show runs through this weekend, so there's still time to catch it!)
This year's flower show theme is Hawaii, so let's first focus on name inspired by the flowers of Hawaii:
Some other flower names with a celebrity or pop culture bent you might consider:
- Lily - A popular celebrity baby name choice, Lily has been used by celebs from Kevin Costner and Greg Kinnear to Kate Beckinsale and Meredith Viera for their daughters. Of course, pop star Lily Allen recently named her own daughter Ethel.
- Rose - We recently wrote that Rose is the #1 middle name choice for celebirty babies. Would your baby by any other name smell so sweet?
- Tulip - Tulip is the perfect middle name for a girl named Charlie, at least according to Rebecca Romjin and Jerry O'Connell. We recently wrote that Dolly Parton inspired Charlie Tamara Tulip's twin's name.
- Daisy - Daisy Duke, Jessica Simpson's dog, Daisy Buchanan, Daisy Fuentes. If you love the cheerful daisy, the name has plenty of cross-cultural appeal.
- Margarita - Jimmy Buffett sang about wasting away in Margaritaville, but the Margarita is a type of daisy.
- Chrysanthemum- The title character of Kevin Henke's children's book Chrysanthemum hates her name until she realizes her beloved (and pregnant) teacher is named Delphinium and plans to name her baby Chrysanthemum.
- Blossom - Blosom was Mayim Bialik's beloved title character on the 80's sitcom, Blossom.
- Marigold - If you are of a certain generation you remember the book The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds. Winston Churchill had a daughter named Marigold.
- Hyacinth - Well known to fans of British sitcoms, Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouquet), was the main character of teh long-running comedy Keeping Up Apearances. Are You Being Served?
- Magnolia - Not too many celebrity babies named Magnolia...yet. We think Magnolia is on the verge of getting hot. It calls to mind both the lovely flowering tree and the movies Magnolia and Steel Magnolias. And it nicknames easily to Maggie.
- Violet - Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck named their first daughter Violet. But to us, the original pop culture Violet will always be Violet Beaurigard from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Poppy - The bright red flower makes us think "peppy." Jamie Oliver and Anthony edwards both named daughters Poppy.
- Petal - Another Jamie Oliver choice.
- Lotus - If you like flower names and your husband likes car names, Lotus could be for you. Celebrity chef Richard Blais chose Lotus as a middle name for his daughter last year.
If you want to go beyond these flower names, check out our piece on unexpected nature names. And tell us some of your favorite flower names in the comments below.