New Baby Alert: Alec Baldwin Welcomes A Girl

New Baby Alert: Alec Baldwin Welcomes A Girl
Fame/Flynet

Alec Baldwin is a dad again. The 30 Rock star and his yoga teacher wife Hilaria welcomed a daughter last week and tweeted their happy news on Friday. Baby Carmen Gabriela Baldwin is the first child for the couple and second for Alec whose older daughter (17 year old Ireland) Tumblr’d her welcome to the little one.

Though the most famous Carmen these days is probably one-time VJ Carmen Electra, Carmen is an old name with a great history particularly for Catholics and opera-lovers. Carmen comes from a Latin background meaning song or chant but is a Spanish cognate of Carmel (and alludes to the Virgin Mary).

Once a popular unisex name, Carmen has fallen a bit in popularity since the 1960s (perhaps related to the popularity of 1940s and 50s samba singer Carmen Miranda and the Oscar nominated film Carmen Jones) here in the US. But in Spain the name is in the top 20.

Middle name Gabriela, another biblically-inspired classic, is a much more popular choice. This spelling (more common in Spanish speaking countries) has been in the top #200 for two decades and the more common spelling, Gabriella, is currently #37 among girls. New mom Hilaria Baldwin spent part of her childhood in Spain and with her choice of two trans-Atlantic names, is off to a good start in her plan to raise Carmen bilingually.

What do you think of the name Carmen Gabriela? Are there other '60s names that you see coming back?

--H.A.

Comments

August 26, 2013 9:56 PM
By may name (not verified)
August 27, 2013 8:04 AM
By elleireland (not verified)

I can't find anything beautiful in the name Carmen. It starts with Car. It ends with men. It has the word "arm" in it. It's a harsh-sounding name. I'm surprised he would go for it, if he had any hand at all the the perfect name of his first daughter.

Gabriela, however, is great, and lends itself to lovely nicknames.

August 28, 2013 2:47 PM

Although I agree that, if broken down into "car" and "men" and "arm", it seems an unlikely and unattractive name for a girl, I think that many other names would seem equally unattractive if taken apart into smaller words like that. I do have to say that taken as a whole name, it has a lovely sound, in my opinion. I don't agree that it is "harsh-sounding". I actually quite like the name Carmen. To me, it reflects a classic femininity, without being frilly. I think Carmen Gabriela is a beautiful name! I also like the fact that they chose to put the less commonly used Carmen as the first name, with the more commonly seen Gabriela in the middle spot. The more I say the name, the more I LOVE it!
By the way, this is Alec Baldwin's 2nd daughter, not his first.

September 1, 2013 9:34 PM
By sofie (not verified)

They really are great couple. Congratulations to them for having a new baby girl. I actually like their idea for a baby name. - Integrity Spas

September 3, 2013 5:01 AM
By bell (not verified)

Effects pedalsThanks for the good writeup. It in truth was once a enjoyment account it.Fuzz Pedals Glance advanced to far brought agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?Others Pedals

September 4, 2013 5:29 AM

Hoc tieng anh truc tuyen , Dich tieng anh sang tieng viet , quang cao facebook

September 5, 2013 3:03 AM

I am very happy to find this blog.Thanks for creating the page! Im positive that it will be very popular. It has good and valuable content which is very rare these days.
mensagens de amiga para mensagens
mensagens de amor

September 6, 2013 5:10 AM
By hthaking21 (not verified)

Yes the Carmen Gabriela name is so beautiful name and we should call him with this name.Thank you.
Lake shore condos by Condo Royalty

September 7, 2013 10:50 PM
By Abu Utsman (not verified)

nice post,

Cari Uang lewat ekiosku.com Satu lagi bahasan yang menarik yaitu Citra indah dan Citra gran sangat pantas untuk sobat baca >Ngga bisa dipungkiri bahwa Jalan Tikus.com Download Game PC dan Android Gratis Terbaru dengan server lokal udah jadi icon terbaru blog ini

September 8, 2013 9:11 AM
By jaclark145 (not verified)

Yes Carmen Gabriela is a very good name and you should take it for your child.Thank you.
Newcig offers a wide range of ecig in Canada

September 16, 2013 5:55 AM
By medley (not verified)

I often read the article here. as interesting to observe. Also visit my new blog. Jalan Tikus.com Download Game PC dan Android Gratis Terbaru dengan server lokal

September 21, 2013 5:11 PM
By ABas NAD (not verified)

Free Download any game PC or Android Download Game PC

October 7, 2013 9:07 AM
By carternick (not verified)

Welcome a new baby is a very pleasure moment for everybody, when a baby come to the home they celebrate the moment cheerfully and this is a very memorable moment for them. For giving the name people choose many type of names and as per their choice they give the name.

October 27, 2013 11:11 AM
By code promo bon prix (not verified)

Lot of congratulations for having a new baby !!

December 23, 2013 3:42 AM

Thank you for for sharing so great thing to us. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff. đèn sưởi phòng tắm
máy sưởi dầu

April 6, 2014 7:28 PM
By Jamaal Rasheed (not verified)

Nice name! congratulations on the baby girl. - C. Frederick Wehba

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.