Naming Baby After Dad - Classic or Showy?

My wife and I are considering naming our son after me and calling him EJ for Eric Junior.

What is the history of passing down the father's name to his son and is it considered pretentious today?

- Dad-to-be

Fifty years ago, no one would have even asked me this question. Boys named for their Dads were as common as meatloaf and green beans. A dad-to-be in 1959 knew that no one would second-guess his motives for giving his son his own name. How could anyone have a problem with tradition, family history, and an unbreakable bond spanning generations?

My, how times have changed! The culprit is our American emphasis on things new, daring, and individual. Parents today want to endow their offspring with an original, distinctive moniker that will inspire gasps of admiration and envy. So they have abandoned little Junior in favor of Brayden, Kayden, and Zayden. (How pretentious would they have sounded in a '50s schoolyard?)

Meanwhile expectant fathers, usually twenty- and thirty-somethings, have names like Jason, Kevin, and -- yes -- Eric. Not trendy and new, not so-out-they're-in; just familiar, solid, and maybe a little plain. So Juniors are becoming an endangered species, just a fraction as common as in past generations.

How's this for irony: In a sea of cookie-cutter "original, distinctive" names, your Junior is likely to be the only one in his kindergarten class. But more than symbolizing your freethinking inventiveness, your Junior's name will proclaim to the world his family connections. Little EJ's name says, "This is my dad. This is me. We're family." I can hardly think of a less pretentious statement than that.

One word of warning, though: A Junior has a unique naming status, and kids are absolute geniuses at sensing when parents are favoring their siblings. If you plan to have more kids, make sure they carry special family names too, boys and girls alike. (Because you're choosing Eric Jr. to to build family bonds, not to create a regal dynasty and one day look forward to Eric the VIII. Right?) And of course, prepare yourself for cases of mistaken identity -- in both directions.

But as long as you're cool with all that, naming a son after his father is a tradition with centuries of history behind it. Please, Junior away without fear.

Comments

March 24, 2009 11:12 AM
By Kayt (not verified)

I don't like juniors, personally. I think it seems a bit egotistical to name your child after yourself, or your spouse. Plus, I've known people who have credit issues because their dad used their social security number to obtain credit cards. Other guys I know have had warrants and jury duty issued in their names instead of their dads. It doesn't seem like a good idea when there are so many other ways to honor your family!

I like linking names through the generations. My son has the same middle name as my husband, which is his father and grandfather's first name, and his great-grandfather's middle name. It's not as confusing as being a junior, but my son is connected to four other generations of Kenneths. I've known people who give their kids the same initials, or reverse their name (ex: Eric Michael has Michael Eric). I think those are all more clever ways to honor your family then giving your child the exact same name as you.

April 1, 2009 3:14 PM

Also, the United States is becoming more multi-cultural and in some cultures, it is considered inappropriate to name a child after someone.

May 7, 2009 8:33 AM

That's silly - if it's not inappropriate in my family's culture, why should I care? That's like saying Latinos should be forbidden from naming their children Jesus because some white Midwesterner wouldn't do that.

June 5, 2009 4:45 PM

I am not into Junior's, but I do think it is nice to name the first born son after his father. We are pregnant and if it is a boy, his middle name will be his fathers first name...not a Junior, but still named after daddy!

June 22, 2009 10:52 AM
By anonymous (not verified)

I think there is a tradition that should be respected. I am naming my son after his father and grandfather. William, but we're calling him liam, instead of will or bill, which are his father's and grandfather's name respectively. He is part of the tradition but still has his own name

July 8, 2009 11:10 AM

I am not into Junior's, but I do think it is nice to name the first born son after his father . We are pregnant and if it is a boy, his middle name will be his fathers first name...not a Junior, but still named after daddy!

October 25, 2009 2:22 PM
By Anonymouse (not verified)

Kids need their own identities and naming the kid fully after a parent is just creepy. Half the DNA wasn't enough? Have to take all of the signifier of identity?

December 31, 2009 9:18 PM
By stephanie (not verified)

I am pregnant now with my first son. We are going to name him after his dad. IF we change his middle name, will he still be the third, because the babys father and his dad both have the same first and middle name?

January 3, 2010 8:03 PM

to Stephanie if you give the baby a different middle name from the father he will not be the third. It has to be the exact full name.

January 21, 2010 9:25 AM
By kk (not verified)

if the Sr-grandfather-has passed away would the newborn still be the III? Wouldn't the new father now be senior and the newborn junior in light of the fact that the senior technically isn't present?

April 1, 2010 1:26 AM

As a male with the same first name as both his father and grandfather, I think giving children the same first names as their parents is the ultimate act of parental egotism. The kid already has the parent's last name, and he or she is their own person - why shouldn't they get their own name? A 'junior' or number tacked on at the end only makes it worse - it goes from being egotistical to downright insulting (sort of like saying the kid is somehow less than the parent). I say come up with a new name for the new person. If I have male children, they will certainly have their own names.

May 6, 2010 8:00 PM
By Danny (not verified)

I have a son due in September and my wife wants to name our son after me. I am honored but don't want the young man to feel that he has been molded to follow in my shoes or is born with expectations other than being himself. That being said, I have a very good friend who is a third. I spoke to him the other day to see what his view on the situation was and his reply was awesome. He told me that his grandfather and father were/are two of the hardest working, respected and respectful American patriots he has ever had the pleasure of meeting. He finished with saying that it has been an honor to carry the exact name of these men and it kept him in touch with the traditions that had been taught to him as he grew up around these fine men. He only wishes that he can continue the tradition of pride and respect associated with his family name by passing it on to a son. Just my two cents.

February 4, 2011 2:42 PM

My son has BOTH of our names (first and middle). Wow - looking back on that decision - it might of been egotistical but I think it was more of the proud parent kicking in ... look at what we made thing. I guess we should of included Jesus in his name as God surely had a hand in making our son, too! :)

April 18, 2011 4:02 AM
By Danley (not verified)

I understand, I am not a fan of juniors. I don't think any child should have to put up with being Little X. He's not Little X, he is a person in his own right, not just a clone or reflection of X and therefore should have a name and identity of his very own. debt management companies

April 18, 2011 4:04 AM
By James Ford (not verified)

Excellent article about baby names that will provide the incentive and basis for my newborn. Thanks! how to make money online

April 18, 2011 4:05 AM
By Kate austen (not verified)

Great stuff here. The information and the detail were just perfect. I think that your perspective is deep, its just well thought out and really fantastic to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts down so well. Great job on this. learn how to fight

April 19, 2011 3:55 PM
By Pats (not verified)

@Stephanie... If you name your baby after the father with the father's first and last name then yes he will still be considered a Jr. :) It's not a completely black and white situation as some people make it out to be. The baby does not have to have the same middle name to be a Jr. People are just rigid if they tell you otherwise. If our baby is a boy we will name him after his daddy but with a different middle name and we will still consider him a Junior.

April 20, 2011 11:00 AM

I've often thought about this, if you like your name I don't think its such a bad thing - it is quite nice, but bills and letters could get confusing (genuine concern)

Thanks

Gary Corbett

August 26, 2011 7:09 AM
By multansz (not verified)

Add you for the ladened airman. This job is handwritten in a factual sanguine acting. It helps me in communicator projects to win. Thanks alot for impartation it.
poems

August 30, 2011 12:18 PM

My family has a naming tradition on my father's side of using the same first name and middle initial, but different middle names.

My brother is, for example, John Michael, my father is John Mitchell, my grandfather is John Michael, my great grandfather was John Mitchell, and so on. My brother plans to name his first son John Marshall after our mother's brother, who is now deceased.

It is a little confusing using just their first names conversationally, but there have been very few legal issues.

September 20, 2011 2:53 AM

My girlfriend is pregnant carrying my son. I want him to be named after me more then anything in the world and she's against it saying she don't want to regret it. Is there anybody out there that can help me?

October 18, 2011 12:07 PM
By jamesiwilliams (not verified)

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That’s a great point to bring up. Dubai holidays

November 29, 2011 5:52 PM
By Scott (not verified)

Well, it's even worse if your first name is the same as your dad's and his dad, and so on, only to use a different middle name. To make matters worse, using a middle name (or preferred name) brings on a whole world of issues, none of them good. As a son, who's been branded with the first name of both his father and his grandfather, and uses a unique middle name, don't do it...

January 6, 2012 4:34 PM
By Amanda (not verified)

I cannot believe most of the comments on this. It is not egotistical in anyway to name your son after his father, but rather tender and endearing. It seems our culture has gotten away from family values and has turned towards a new age movement that is in complete opposition to the American family, or at least what it used to be. I searched this because I was interested in feedback. If anything this post/comments have encouraged my decision to name my son after his father...thanks. :)

January 6, 2012 4:48 PM
By Amanda (not verified)

A son will have his own personality/identity whether he is junior or not. A name does not determine what manner of mind he will have. We are not our own, we were made by God. To love Him and to be loved by Him, and to those that believe in Him and love Him will be given a new name by Him when we stand before Him. I praise God that I am not my own.

February 1, 2012 2:51 AM
By yasirra (not verified)

I am happy when reading your blog with updated information! thank you very much and hope that after more sites that are related to this site

February 10, 2012 3:34 PM

i have named my son III and i regret it very much. Me and hubby are still talking about changing it. Obviously i want to change it more then he does ...i don't know what to be disrespectful ...but do not want to keep this name. should've stuck to what we were doing in the first place and just used his middle name. i felt very pressured by my mil..who was there for the labor. i most likely will be changing the name.Hes my son after all.. just hoping for no drama.

February 15, 2012 5:45 PM

tht is so lame. What culture and why would a parent care who is offended by their child's name?

March 14, 2012 7:06 AM

That looked so awesome. Would love to spend a weekend at the hotel with my 21 yr old daughter and a day just like yours at the Spa. It did look like heaven!

April 9, 2012 1:35 AM
By 500GB external hard drive (not verified)

During the Twilight fame, parents call their babies Bella (for girls) and Edward or Jacob (for boys).

:-)

April 18, 2012 7:50 PM
By krystal (not verified)

My fiance and I are going to be first time parents, our baby is due in September. We haven't found out if our baby is a boy or girl but have already picked out names. I am very curious about the Jr situation. My fiances name is Forest, but he is known and goes by his middle name, Ryan. If we name our baby Ryan, would he still be considered a Jr?

June 28, 2012 3:01 AM
By rahulkrishna (not verified)

I had really loved this info that to using the nice info is visible in this blog. This is really very much enjoyed for the great info is visible in this interview questions blog. Thanks a lot for using the nice info that to sharing the nice technology in this blog.

August 5, 2012 7:25 AM
By Hermes Kelly (not verified)

bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

August 5, 2012 7:26 AM
By Well (not verified)
August 6, 2012 12:52 PM
By Antoine (not verified)

I have a son, an eight-month old, with my exact same names. And contrary to the majority of opinions here, who suggest it's in some way 'showy' or 'egotistical', I think it's the noblest act possible. It's my way of saying: "I mean to share my being, my very life with you, boy. Including my own names." I'd wager that most of those advocating 'uniqueness' here would force their own attitudes, cultures, and religions on their kids. I dislike the moniker 'Junior', by the way--except when used as a suffix. I guess, in the end, it depends on how you choose to look at it.

August 29, 2012 6:08 AM
By alexander mcqueen sale (not verified)

As if Sarah Burton’s vision for Alexander McQueen’s autumn/winter’12-13 collection wasn’t other-worldly enough with all those undulating and exploding frills and feathers and horse-hoof boots, then this David Sims directed video for the new line will do it

August 30, 2012 6:44 AM
By the nasa news (not verified)

These stately, dapper silhouettes have enough of a modern edge to come off feeling far from stuffy. And then, to really drive home the modernity of the collection, Burton drops in details like bold all-over prints, cropped bomber-style jackets with leather or sateen contrast sleeves, and tuxedo pieces that a daring enough male could wear day as well as night.

August 31, 2012 8:25 AM
By susan (not verified)

This article is really helpful and wonderful and would be better if more introductions

September 7, 2012 3:33 AM
By Mori Lee (not verified)

I 'm strongly for your opinions about this Mori Lee 6503 in your article. I think you are an expert at it and have a good understanding of it. Can you help me sell Mori Lee 6502 ? I am selling this Mori Lee 6501 at a low price. Besides, I can give you a good mission.

September 13, 2012 10:30 PM
By Canada Goose Coats (not verified)

the U.S. Ambassador to Libya was Killed by Gaddafi supporters
U.S. consulate in the largest city of Benghazi in eastern Libya,Canada Goose Sale was attacked on the 11th. Libyan demonstrators gathered outside the consulate to protest the United States playing a video discredit the Islamic prophet Muhammad,Canada Goose Coats armed officers then broke into the firefight with the Consulate security personnel.Winter Coats U.S. ambassador Lee Ambassador Chris Stevens and three diplomats were killed in the crossfire,Canada Goose Jackets the White House and the State Department condemned.Canada Goose Snow Mantra Parka Due to the same reason, the Egyptian protesters climb a wall of the U.S. Embassy on the 11th, Canada Goose Constable Parka and ripped and burned the American flag.

October 25, 2012 6:50 AM
By trickyflower (not verified)

Naming a baby is always confusion to the parents. Even I have gone through this when my sister’s son was to be named. Naming the son after father is a fashion now and it is really good to have the kid grow up with his father’s name. It’s a nice thing. studying abroad scholarships and other government programs

November 6, 2012 4:09 AM
By Canada Goose Sale (not verified)

The Canada Goose Parka Men's Citadel Parka

is a slimmer and stylish version of the originalCanada Goose Coatsheavy weather parka, perfect

for a freezing day in the city. The shell is made with Canada Goose Sale 195gsm Arctic-Tech and cotton

blend with DWR, filled with 625 fill power white duck down,
Canada Goose Outlet and combined with a

55gsm Nylon-weave, water-proof lining with WR finish to provide Canada Goose Sale complete insulation. The

Men's Citadel Parka includes an elasticized draw cord and cord locks at the ears to reduce

wind penetration, is lined with a removable coyote fur ruff for added warmth, and allows

you to adjust size as conditions change. Canada

Goose Outlet also boasts a range of extra features in their Citadel line,

including a center-front YKK 2-way locking zipper with storm flap, heavy-duty recessed and

flexible rib-knit cuffs, Canada Goose Jacket

Sale back webbing grab-strap, four upper chest and lower body pockets with Velcro

flaps, as well as another 4 pockets with zipper closures. This men's parka has Canada Goose Online a mid-thigh length with an

elasticized drawcord waist to add extra insulation beyond your torso. The Canada Goose ParkaCitadel Parka offers top notch

coverage and protection on the coldest of Canada

Goose Jackets winter days and will also help you maintain a high fashion profile

at the same time. Canada Goose Sale

November 6, 2012 4:10 AM
By Canada Goose Sale (not verified)

The Canada Goose Parka Men's Citadel Parka

blend with DWR, filled with 625 fill power white duck down,
Canada Goose Outlet and combined with a

you to adjust size as conditions change. Canada

Goose Outlet also boasts a range of extra features in their Citadel line,

flexible rib-knit cuffs, Canada Goose Jacket

coverage and protection on the coldest of Canada

at the same time. Canada Goose Sale

November 8, 2012 2:33 AM
By Blake (not verified)

Wow, I didn't realise people still do this. If you really must name your child after yourself, please don't add in the jnr tag. I (and most people) would hate to be known as Jnr.

Also If 'you haven't even put a ring on it' A guy must have some nerve to push/expect to have the child named after him.

November 11, 2012 9:44 PM
By Canada Goose Coats (not verified)

Hemophagocytic licked his lips, feet shoved a hard, suddenly ...... Canada Goose Coats at the foot of two tiger suddenly sluggish fell to the ground, no doubt, they definitely will not breathe. Distant, Canada Goose Sale crushed tiger shoved a slap in the face to the side of the carriage shot, the face of the death of two tiger, he can be said enough sorrow ah ... although he pack up each other's grasp, but ... because of World War Convention restrictions, as the God of War, Canada Goose Outlet is absolutely not involved in Sisha on the battlefield, otherwise ... were all master joint crusade immediately, so that no single race can stand, and its only result inevitably genocide!

January 8, 2013 7:19 AM
By ali (not verified)

Meanwhile expectant fathers, usually twenty- and http://www.questions4sure.com/642-437.htm thirty-somethings, have names like Jason, Kevin, and -- yes -- Eric. Not trendy and new, not so-out-they're-in; just familiar, solid, and maybe a little 642-437 questions plain. So Juniors are becoming an endangered species, just a fraction as common as in past generations.

January 19, 2013 7:15 AM
By Joseph Gerard (not verified)

I'm at least the fifth Joseph. (I heard the name goes back farther than that in France, but I'm not sure. My great-great-grandfather moved here from France in the 1890's.) Middle names have varied, although I share mine with my grandfather, Carl. I have no kids, but if I end up with a son, Joseph is skipping a generation. I get mixed up with my dad all the time. When I get married, that will be the ONLY rule on names with my wife. Otherwise, I'll be open to suggestions from her. I think naming a kid after yourself is just lazy.

March 31, 2013 5:09 AM
By Lang Bakos (not verified)

I've seen progression in just about every contribute. All of your most recent stuff are simply extraordinary in comparison to your content before. Keep up the great hard work.

April 23, 2013 4:33 AM
By Jamie (not verified)

I just wanted to let you know that I happened to run across your web site by accident--and, I love it! Writing a lab report

June 4, 2013 8:38 AM

Your blog has some of the most fascinating information! I've read several pages here and I just had to comment and let you know that I thought you've been doing a great job here. Keep it up! tas eiger or this Saatnya total action may be usefull

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.