Has Twilight Ruined My Favorite Baby Names?

I have always loved the names Jasper and Edward, but my mother thinks I'm crazy to even consider them because they are both names of characters in the Twilight saga. I think she might be right that my son would constantly be telling people that no, he was not named after them. Should I stick with my gut, or find a less complicated name? - twilightzonedmom

Hollywood can make or make or break a baby name. For every mom who fell in love with the name Ariel in The Little Mermaid, there's another still bitter that Disney "ruined" her favorite name. Right now, the "Twilight" saga is trapping a lot of parents like you in that push and pull.

"Twilight" packs a special punch because it's full of stylish names. Jacob and Isabella are two of the most popular names in America. Edward, Alice and Victoria appeal to Anglo-traditionalists, while Jasper, Emmett and Esme are favorites of cutting-edge parents. Have the vampires sunk their teeth in so deep that the names will never escape?

Not necessarily. The more common and traditional a name is, the less any celebrity can control it. A name like Jacob or Edward is too big for even a vampire to slay. You're probably safe choosing either one of your favorites ... but choose more than one and the going gets tougher. Themes find strength in numbers, so brothers named Jasper and Edward take you far deeper into the "Twilight Zone" than either name does alone.

What about parents who named their twins Emmett and Esme back before "Twilight" fell? There's still hope, because time is on their side. Think of it this way: would you break out in giggles if you met a pair of 30-something siblings named Keith and Laurie? Or 20-something brothers Simon and Nick? Probably not, yet back when they were born those names would have screamed Partridge Family and Duran Duran. Yes, you'll have to live with the vampire jokes for a while, but your kids should ultimately emerge unscathed.

Comments

November 25, 2009 1:58 AM
By anna (not verified)

Right now, when I hear "Simon and Nick" I think of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. So not only are old name associations likely to fall away, new associations will appear.

November 25, 2009 1:58 AM
By anna (not verified)

December 1, 2009 10:25 PM
By JoJo (not verified)

I was worried about the same thing with my favorite name Tiana, since Tiana is the newest Disney Princess. I am thinking that if I do have a baby girl I should switch to my second favorite.

December 1, 2009 10:27 PM
By JoJo (not verified)

Nothing can be as bad as the woman who (supposedly unknowlingly) name her child Jenna Thalia. (from Platinum Babies)

December 4, 2009 2:42 PM

Well, I'm one of the bitter ones. My husband and I picked out the name Jasper in 1998. I waited eleven years to use it, and now all of a sudden it's everywhere. I want to kick the "Twilight" author in the shins. I still used the name, though!

December 12, 2009 8:42 PM
By jess (not verified)

My 4 mo son is Edward and we have been asked multiple times if it is after Twilight. (no, after grandpa) We do call him Eddie most of the time and thus are cutting down the association. I'm sure when he is older and going by Edward the association will be fading along with Twilight's popularity.

December 15, 2009 2:04 PM
By kare (not verified)

I went to high school with a Whitney Housten. And yes, her parents should have known better. But for her it was always an ice breaker and people knew who she was. Now she is married and we all miss knowing "Whitney Housten"

December 29, 2009 6:55 PM
By Randi (not verified)

I'm rather bitter, I mean, I've always seemed to run into the trap of loving a name, or loving a style and just before I can use it it suddenly becomes so popular everyone including their dogs are using/doing it. That was the appeal for me and many of the Twilight names; before they came out, they were classy, classic, and relatively uncommon though still popular enough to have been heard of. Now I'm afraid of naming my daughter Alice and instead of someone assuming I loved reading "The Looking Glass" they'll think I loved Twilight a little too much. That, and there'll be about 10 other Alices in her school.

January 10, 2010 6:36 PM
By Debra (not verified)

My 3 year old son is Jasper so he'll be an old Jasper. I feel that when I picked a name that everyone thought was a dogs name, yes that is what people actually said to me, now it will be common and that makes me kind of sad.

January 12, 2010 9:27 AM

We picked the names Alexander (nickname Alex) and Emma for our twins while they were still in utero, but something didn't seem right. I said to my husband, "It sounds like a movie title or something." He replied, "No, you must be thinking of 'Kate and Leopold' (our older daughter is Katie)." Sure enough, after we got really attached to the names, one of my friends said, "You do realize 'Alex and Emma' is a movie, right?"
I say pick the names you want because you love them...the questions won't last long. Will Twilight still be known by the time all the little Edwards and Bellas are in high school? Probably not.

January 12, 2010 9:29 AM

And think of all the Dylans and Brandons who were born in the 1990s when 90210 was at its peak of popularity. No one knows the associations now.

January 15, 2010 6:44 PM

I loved the name Jayden (my name starts with a J and has a "Y" in it,) i wanted my son to have a name similar to mine and my daughter to have a name similar to my husband, well Brittney Spears ruined that for me! My husband says no daughter of his will be named the same as one of brittney's kids.

January 17, 2010 1:29 AM
By Beth (not verified)

I get a lot of Twilight hyper over my third son's name. I named him Embry. Yes, I found it when I was reading the Twilight books, but I also read it before all the movie hype came into play, and long before we even became pregnant with him. When I originally saw it I looked around for information about the name. His name is English and it's meaning is Work Rule. I also found that the name was "popular" early in the twentieth century. My biggest trouble is that my father refuses to call him by his name. He instead calls him Karl, which is his middle name. He tells everyone that asks the baby's name that he calls him that because he believes it's not a "real" name. My older sons (5y and 4y) actually get angry with him for not calling him by his first came. I've tried everything from ignoring him to asking politely to outright telling him to call him by his name, all to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

January 19, 2010 12:06 PM

Maybe you could suggest your father call the baby "Em," or if he must, "E.K." or some more affectionate nickname. It's rude and disrespectful for him to refuse to use the boy's real name (but then, perhaps he's rude and disrespectful in general?). How much influence is one person going to have, anyway, if everyone else uses the proper name? (Though I have to admit Embry is odd to me. Never heard of it.)

January 27, 2010 2:15 PM
By Angela (not verified)

I wish The Little Mermaid hadn't ruined "Ursula". I really love that name, but I don't think it will ever live down the sea-witch connection.

January 28, 2010 4:59 PM

Hi,

I do see what you are saying, and I think the comment about having one name that may seem "of the moment" would be okay, but don't go overboard. In my case, our first son is named "George". About 2 months after he was born, Grey's Anatomy debuted and everyone asked if we named him George as a result of the show. Next we had "Catherine" and last year ('08) we came home with "Edward" on Christmas Day- right when the first Twilight movie was in full throttle. I had no clue about the names in the books or movies, but of course we have been asked about the association once or twice. At first I was horrified, however, when Edward is paired with his sibling names, it all comes together just fine. Good luck to you!

January 30, 2010 9:54 AM
By Britthney (not verified)

who cares. if you love the name use it! stephanie meyers probably chose those names for her vampires because the vampires were born in the time periods where those names were popular! duhhhh!!! as for jacob and isabella, they are just popular and beautiful names. if those were names i had chosen, i would still use them. the twilight books are great anyway and have some good morals so who cares at least you're not naming your child after someone who isn't a good role model.

February 20, 2010 12:57 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

Jasper and Edward are wonderful names, and simply tell people that you never copied Twilight, Twilight copied you!

February 21, 2010 2:40 PM

I love the name Rhoda, but would never name my daughter that because of the movie The Bad Seed. Other people might not automatically make that connection, but for me personally the name is 'ruined'.

March 15, 2010 11:51 PM

I think I could deal with most of the twilight names, except reneesmee (or however it's spelled). I saw on another website that a lady was wanting to name her daughter that, and wondered if it was a bad choice. my immediate thought was, if you have to tell everyone how it is spelled and said, then maybe. when it is obviously taken from a book (and a very popular book at that), then it is a bad idea. how would you like to be known as the twilight mutant girl for all time?

March 17, 2012 5:31 AM
By Sharnie (not verified)

I have family friends who's children are called William and Kate, they are six and eight years old.

May 7, 2013 7:15 AM

Actually I am also planning to have this name for my baby, but as I watch the the movie it seems that it is so corny. Brenda Lee Reed

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.