My Nickname Needs a Nickname!

What are nicknames for Megan? Thanks!

- Megan Christine
Megan, there are no traditional nicknames for your name. That's because Megan itself is the traditional nickname. It's a Welsh diminutive of Margaret that only made the leap to first-name status in the 20th Century.
You can go by Meg (or Meggie or Megs), of course. But if you want a nickname that's more than an abbreviation, your best bet is to challenge your friends to invent something that uniquely represents YOU rather than your name.

Your dilemma may be eye-opening to parents who are deciding between a formal name and a nickname for their child's birth certificate. The arguments for giving a nickname straight up are usually along these lines:

- "That's what we're going to call her, why should we name her anything else?"

- "We want to make sure people call her the nickname that we like best. If we use the formal name, it's out of our hands."
But as you've found out, whatever is written on the birth certificate becomes a full name. The urge to personalize it with a nickname remains, but the kid is left with slim pickings. The result can be a creative nickname that veers far from the parents' original vision. It may be that parents who want a little Maddie and Gabe will fulfill that dream best by sticking with the given names Madeline and Gabriel.

Comments

January 15, 2013 1:37 PM

All the Megans I've known over the years used Meg as a nickname, if they used one at all.

January 16, 2013 11:09 AM

My best friend's name is Megan, and we all call her Megs.

January 16, 2013 2:27 PM

The name is MegAN. How about Ann or Annie?

January 18, 2013 11:20 AM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

I've noticed the nickname-within-a-nickname phenomenon myself. Just for instance, in the TV show "Third Watch" from a several years ago, a character went by Bosco, a short form of his surname, Boscorelli. But Bosco itself often got shortened to Boz -- "Bosco" didn't feel like a nickname after a while, because it was main name the character went by, so that name itself acquired a nickname! The opposite happens in the movie "Liar, Liar," where the little boy's name is Max, and his father uses nicknames like Maximus and Maximiliano. The urge to nickname is unstoppable, even if people have to make the name LONGER to do it!

January 19, 2013 8:35 AM
By Megan W. (not verified)

As a Long E MEEE-gan, you could opt for that. This tends to give way to Meegs.

If you are really searching for something, go back to the base name Margaret - you could be Peg(gy), Maggie even Rita, Greta. Your choices are nearly limitless.

January 20, 2013 4:58 AM

My thought was Molly or Peg - both traditional nicknames for Margaret.

January 22, 2013 1:13 PM
By Beth (not verified)

I know someone named Meg who prefers to go by Megan as an adult.

January 22, 2013 5:28 PM
By Megan C (not verified)

As a late-30something "long-e" Meeeeegan, I've never really had a nickname. People sometimes call me Meeeg, but it's not so much a nickname as a casual shortening. In a way, it's nice to NOT have a nickname. Growing up along oodles of Jennifers, you never knew if they wanted to be called Jennifer, Jen, Jenny, etc. I was plain ol' Meeeeeeegan. :)

January 22, 2013 8:13 PM
By Megaparsec (not verified)

My name is Meghan and I've always liked it. My dad read The Thornbirds shortly before I came along. My favorite book for years was A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle and the main character's name is Meg, short for Margaret. Her dad calls her all sorts of nicknames in that book. Oh, and my best friend likes to call me Megatron : )

January 25, 2013 2:18 PM

I know a Megan who goes by Meg, Meggie, and Megs. I think she likes the flexibility, but it still is just a shortening of her legal name.

January 27, 2013 8:53 PM
By Destiny (not verified)

I think any nickname for Margaret could work as a nickname for Megan. Midge and Maggie are cute. I really like Maggie as being short for Megan since I'm not a big fan of Margaret but love the nickname Maggie.

April 22, 2013 2:45 AM
By hay day hack (not verified)

This post I felt that you have done a lot of study on the topic, while going through I be grateful for your efforts and glad that I found your blog. Keep posting such useful hay day hack

April 22, 2013 3:26 AM
By AdvertisingBalloons (not verified)

If we could import some cheap labor from India or China or Thailand then we could be able to provide cheap products to compete with developing countries. AdvertisingBalloons

April 23, 2013 10:45 AM
By Space Heaters (not verified)

Nicknames for Megan? Well Meg is pretty obvious but depends on the personality too I guess.