Help Me Change My Name!

My name is Jessie and I am 14 years old. People always call me Jessica, which is not my actual name and I really don't like that name for myself. My name is Jessie Jasmina, and I was thinking of combining my two names to make Jessimine. I've wanted to change my name since I was very little and I think that now (before I get my driver’s license and passport) would be the best time. Thankfully, my parents completely support my decision.

I don’t know what middle name to use with Jessimine. I've also considered Juliet as a first name. I want to stick to a J name. I know that I am young to be making this decision on my own, so I need another opinion. Should I change my name, and what should my new name be?
- Just Jessie

You sound like a wise young lady and, after much time and consideration, you've come up with a very reasonable plan. Better yet, your parents are on board too. That is lovely; many would-be name-changers don't enjoy that kind of support. So I think you should go for it.

Jessamine is a traditional variant of Jasmine, so it's a happy combination of your two current given names. But you may notice that I used a slightly different spelling than you suggested. Since the name is already likely to be unfamiliar to many, my inclination would be to go with Jessamine, which is the standard botanical spelling. It's one less element of your name change to have to explain. This spelling still works as a combination of “Jess” from your first name and “min” from your middle.

Jessamine allows for a gradual transition and may be easier for others to remember and use. And, of course, you could continue to use the nickname Jessie, while taking more control over it. You would have an answer at the ready for those who assume you're a Jessica: "Actually, my full name is Jessamine, like the flower."

For the middle name, Juliet is a lovely choice (and lets you maintain your original monogram). You could also consider an honor name, like one of your mother's or grandmothers names. Or how about asking your parents what they think? They may have a fresh suggestion that they'd like to contribute. It might be a name they loved the first time around, but didn't get to use, or something they've encountered in the last 14 years since they named you. This is a fun opportunity, for all of you, to choose all over again.

Comments

November 25, 2013 10:31 AM

Jessamine is lovely. I do agree with NameLady about using that spelling.

I do really like Jessamine Juliet, though the idea of an honor name intrigues me. Either way, I don't think you could go wrong.

November 25, 2013 1:01 PM
By Chris (not verified)

Jessamine is a beautiful name. Juliet would be a good middle with it, but a one syllable middle might be better if your last name is long. Here are some short (and long) options:

Jill
Joy

Juliana
Johanna

November 25, 2013 10:07 PM
By Evie (not verified)

Jessamine Juliet is absolutely lovely :) I agree with the Name Lady about using the traditional spelling—it's such a happy coincidence that your two names naturally combine into a name that already exists, I would take advantage of it. (Also, note the pronunciation: JESS-uh-min).

November 26, 2013 4:31 PM
By http://www.essay-writings-service.com (not verified)

I would be very thankful if you continue with quality what you are serving right now with your blog...I really enjoyed it...and i really appreciate to you for this....its always pleasure to read so....Thanks for sharing!!!))

November 26, 2013 11:03 PM
By Cm (not verified)

I agree with everyone else: Jessamine is beautiful, the spelling is traditional, and you can still go by Jessie with an alternative "real" name. I also like the idea of asking around for "J" middle names. A shorter one might be nice unless your last name is short. What about Jane?

I support your name change :) Way to go for not feeling cowed into keeping a name that isn't right for you.

November 27, 2013 8:58 AM
By Stephanie (not verified)

I agree with the name lady that Jessamine is a perfect choice for you. A short, one-syllable middle name is preferable to go with it imo, so I like Jane or Jade as a middle name.

November 27, 2013 3:03 PM
By Patricia (not verified)

As an aside, the letter writer might enjoy the book Dancing Through The Snow by Jean Little. At the end of the book, the main character changes her name to Jessamine. It's a children's book but I loved it (I'm a grown up).

December 1, 2013 8:31 AM
By elleireland (not verified)

Go for it! But wait a bit, start by using the name for awhile (introduce yourself as Jess, or Jessamyn, for a few years. It will probably "stick.")

I like the spelling Jessamyn, after the famous writer Jessamyn West. Look her up. She wrote in the last century, she was a Southerner, and her name was from a beautiful flowering plant.

I think more people should change their names while they are young and it's simple to do so. All Stacys who do not love their name should become "Sadie," or "Tacy." Anyone named "Teresa" might want to switch to "Tess." A Wendy should only keep Wendy if she adores it. Otherwise, switch to Wynn. Same for Brittanys. I warrant that most Brittanys would cheerfully change to Britta or Britton. SO MUCH BETTER.

So many beautiful names. Why settle for one you don't love?

BTW, because of the writer, Jessamyn was on my short list for a girl name.

Please let us know what you decide!

December 13, 2013 3:25 AM
By Kizi (not verified)

I like Jane or Jade as a middle name.

December 14, 2013 2:32 PM
By Nettoyage de tapis laval (not verified)

I would like to thank you for the articles you are writing. The post is quite neat and every word is so simple that is easy to understand.

December 16, 2013 11:02 PM
By kizawoa (not verified)

The post is quite neat and every word is so simple that is easy to understand. thanks

January 8, 2014 2:12 AM

Love love love Jessamine. My daughter's name is Juliet but I think it's to many syllables for a middle. She, by the way, started using a baby nickname bestowed by her brother "Jet" at 14. It is a contraction of JuliET because she felt more comfortable with a short adrogynous name, kind of the opposite direction from your heading. It's a good time to change. Kids want to use your new name Shows they are in the know. Everyone will appreciate the creative contraction of your birth names too

February 25, 2014 9:13 AM
By gamechit (not verified)

a blog or share the necessary information with more people, I will remember and come back hope there will be many new posts

February 25, 2014 9:21 AM
By a10 games (not verified)

I think that people or calling you with the name Jessica also easy to remember and also because or more but anyway I also feel the burning sensation of you hope you will be satisfied with yourself

March 4, 2014 5:19 AM
By kizi (not verified)

Truly amazing results, I do not know what to say more. http://www.kizi8.net/

May 4, 2014 11:21 AM
By juegos friv 1000 (not verified)

I think Jasmina is cute

June 2, 2014 11:08 PM
By friv (not verified)

I'm happy with what is there

June 13, 2014 4:53 PM
By governmentnaukri (not verified)

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest
authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same topics
you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would enjoy your
work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

July 11, 2014 4:22 AM
By friv (not verified)

I think this is definitely an amazing project here. So much good will be coming from this project. The ideas and the work behind this will pay off so much.

July 31, 2014 3:45 AM
By Hd Wallpaper Downoad (not verified)

Worth to read this

August 1, 2014 11:40 AM
By latest mobile price (not verified)

nice site for changing our name

August 8, 2014 2:39 AM
By Hd Wallpaper Downoad (not verified)

tghahiuaia

August 24, 2014 9:52 AM
By Kizi (not verified)

If you want a name that makes more sense now that I think you should change it