How Do I Pack In All My Favorite Names?

My three favorite names are Aurelia, Althea, and Lyra. How do I pack all three into my daughter's name?

I LOVE Aurelia with my last name, but wish I could use both Althea and Lyra as middles. Everyone I know is hoping I name the baby Lyra, but that won't give the full name the same flow.

Do any of these combos work?

Lyra Anastasia [Mom's Surname]
Aurelia Lyra [Dad's Surname] [Mom's Surname]
Lyra Aurelia [Dad's Surname] [Mom's Surname]
Lyra Aurelia Althea [Mom's Surname]
Aurelia Athea Lorelei (nn- Lyra or Lore) [Mom's Surname]

I'm tempted to just name her Aurelia Althea [Dad's Surname] [Mom's Surname] and nickname her Lyra if it suits her later in life.

- Want Them All

You asked "how do I" fit in all the names, not "can I." But the answer is simply, "you can't" -- or at least you shouldn't. Deep down you already know that, or you wouldn't have listed the options you did.

I know what it's like to love too many names. It's hard to let any of them go. But one daughter just isn't big enough to hold all of your naming dreams. Your question is like asking "How do I wear all of my favorite jewelry with a single outfit," or even "How do I seat five adults in a Mini Cooper." Best not to even try.

Two middle names can be manageable, if there's a good reason for them. Your set of names is especially challenging, though, because your taste is very consistent. You like "liquid names": smooth, feminine sounds that flow like water. The consonants you keep turning to are L and R, and every name ends in a vowel sound. Each of your favorite names is lovely, but when you string them together you get too much of the same. Then you 've tossed a potential fourth name option in dad's surname -- a surname that happens to feature an L and an R, and, yes, ends in a vowel.

Since the two names you consider first-name worthy are Lyra and Aurelia, I'd go with those two. Choose the order based on what you'd most like to call your daughter on a daily basis. If you decide to add a second middle name, consider one that serves a different function: connection rather than fashion. Making room for dad's surname could help build bridges between your daughter and his side of the family, which sets it apart from any other option.

Comments

January 13, 2014 12:05 PM
By Jenny (not verified)

Lyra Aurelia [Dad's Surname] [Mom's Surname]

Lyra is a pretty name. It's easy to pronounce and spell. Aurelia is a great name, but she'll have to spell it for those who hear it and pronounce it for those who see it written down.

I like that you're giving the baby your surname. My husband and I did that too, largely because my surname is much easier to spell and pronounce than his.

January 13, 2014 12:31 PM

It sounds like you want the baby to be called Aurelia, not Lyra, so, I think you should go with Aurelia Lyra [Dad's Surname] [Mom's Surname].

January 13, 2014 1:11 PM

Aurelia is pretty, but is easy to shorten. The 2 year old girl we know is called "Rales", which is quite boyish to me and reminds me of train rails...

January 13, 2014 7:31 PM

Do you plan on more kids later? You may want to consider keeping either Lyra or Aurelia in reserve, just in case. I know it can be hard to give up a name, and sad if it ends up you never get to use it. But you could find you kick yourself later when you can't use Lyra on a 2nd daughter because it's already Aurelia's middle name!

I agree Lyra & Aurelia should be your final 2 options. Why not keep this on the shortlist & see which name fits her best after you meet her.

January 13, 2014 10:21 PM
By Erinne (not verified)

Aurelyra Althea?

January 14, 2014 1:05 PM

I love that you're adding both surnames! I like your Aurelia Lyra option. You can always use Lyra as another daughter middle name too, I know plenty of sibling sets with the same middle names. Plus, Aurelia can be shortened easily into other pretty name following your tastes (Ari, Aura, Lia...)

January 14, 2014 1:24 PM
By Charly (not verified)

I think Aurelia is a name that is much easier to spell and pronounce than Lyra. (Leyera, or Leera?)

January 14, 2014 4:51 PM
By Nedibes (not verified)

To me, Aurelia rhymes with Cordelia (as in Aurelius Road in my hometown) and Lyra is pronounced as in lyric...so Lyra Aurelia (or Aurelia Lyra) is way too Amelia Bedelia for my taste. On the other hand, I think Lyra would be an easy, obvious nickname for Aurelia. If you have another daughter in the next couple of years you would have Lyra in reserve, and if not (or if you find another name you prefer in the meantime) you could use it as a nickname for your eldest.

I also am in favor of including both surnames (my eldest has my husband's "bachelor name" as a second middle), so your final option appeals to me.

January 14, 2014 5:37 PM
By jessica (not verified)

Lyralia...Liralia...Alyria..Aurelyra.. Also, Lyra is definitely a reasonable nickname for Aurelia.

January 14, 2014 8:38 PM

Lyra sounds too much like Aurelia for Aurelia Lyra to sound good (the "lia" part of Aurelia). But I do think Lyra could be a nickname for Aurelia.

With Aurelia and Lyra covered, that leaves Althea. And I do think Aurelia Althea works.

January 15, 2014 4:59 PM

I think Lyra and Aurelia sound too much alike. Plus, throughout this whole article I had to stop and read Aurelia slowly to make sure I get it right. I would save one name for another child, if you plan on having any more kids. You don't want to use all your favorite names on one child and give another child a name you aren't totally in love with.

January 16, 2014 2:06 PM
By Faith (not verified)

I agree with the others who say Lyra and Aurelia are too similar...again thinking "Amelia Bedelia."

I'd either save Lyra as either a nickname (definitely sounds like it could be a nickname for Aurelia) or for another baby - that would be a great sibset!

January 17, 2014 12:15 PM
By Cookie Monster (not verified)

I vote for: Aurelia Anastasia [Dad's Surname] [Mom's Surname]. Aurelia is a beautiful name and you could nickname her Lyra or Lia. Anastasia has mystery, glamour, and history. Dad's surname as a second middle name will be helpful if he has to travel out of the country with the kids or something like that.

Aurelia Anastasia sounds so perfect, like a character out of a book.

January 19, 2014 1:22 PM
By Madi (not verified)

Actually I think you could get a lot of NN out of Aurelia, like Aura, Relia, Elia, Elly, Relly... Depending on taste.

January 20, 2014 9:37 PM

Take it from the voice of experience- do NOT give your daughter all of your favorite names!!

We did. We had 2 names we both loved, so we used them as our daughter's first and middle name. Then we were sorry sorry sorry when we ended up having a 2nd girl a few years later!

Of course I don't love my younger daughter any less. But I don't love her name nearly as much as I love my oldest daughter's name.

Learn from our mistake- give your daughter a name you love and save your other favorite for future children.

Think about it this way: Yes, you will be disappointed if you never have a 2nd girl and so don't ever use the name. But not as disappointed as you'll be if you DO have a 2nd girl, and have to call her by a name you don't love for the entire rest of your life because you used all your favorite names on your first child.

February 4, 2014 1:27 PM
By Cindy (not verified)

I wanted to name my daughter "Jasmine Mareli". But my only sister had the only other granddaughter that had passed away. So I wanted to use my late niece's name. So I named my daughter "Jasmine Mareli Dajae".... you do what makes you happy. I think girls with long names are cute. Think of "Peter Pan". Wendy had a long name and no one seemed to care.

February 17, 2014 12:07 AM
By friv games (not verified)

I'm a new blogger I thank very much the article. I appreciate the information on blog comments and will definitely start looking out for those who use automated programs to make the blog post comment.
Friv | Friv

March 2, 2014 11:46 AM
By kizi (not verified)

What you share is great, a successful and happy blog.kizi |Friv

March 3, 2014 9:29 PM
By kizi (not verified)

what I really saw was wonderful.
http://www.friv100jogos.com/, http://www.kizi8games.net/

March 3, 2014 9:38 PM
By Friv 3 (not verified)

Great it's very nice and I like it.thank you!

March 9, 2014 11:01 PM
By friv 5 (not verified)

Very good post. You've included all the great information in this post.
http://www.kizi2com.org | http://www.flappybirdgame.org

April 20, 2014 8:53 PM
By Anonymous( friv2s ) (not verified)

information gives me a broader understanding string I look forward to your next post thanks banj information
Friv | Kizi

April 27, 2014 3:40 AM
By mangahere (not verified)

I'm a new blogger I thank very much the article. I like the information on blog comments and will definitely start looking out for those who use automated programs to make the blog post comment.

April 29, 2014 9:34 PM
By juegosfriv10000 (not verified)

Aurelia Lyra sounds nice. I like it

May 7, 2014 1:12 AM
By friv (not verified)

Have you got your favorite name?

May 8, 2014 3:07 AM
By barbie games (not verified)

I also have my favorite name: Hanna
what do you think? is that too simple?