Is This Whole Culture Off Limits?

My husband and I are expecting our first child in about a month. After months of debating, we finally agreed to name her Nadia. Now though, we're getting cold feet due to world events. In the event of conflict with Russia, we worry about our daughter being saddled with a very Russian sounding name. Are we crazy to try to find another name?

- Nervous about Nadia

Names have the magical ability to conjure up a world of meanings from a simple string of sounds. That power is what makes them so fascinating, but it can have a downside too. If someone makes headlines for the wrong reasons, their dark cloud can cast a shadow over their name -- and by extension, anyone who bears it.

That guilt by association can be irritating if you share a name with a Hollywood celeb who behaves badly. It can be downright scary if you share a name with an enemy of the state. Not surprisingly, American parents abandoned the baby name Osama after the 9/11 attacks.

Osama bin Laden, though, was an individual. Does the notion of "enemy names" extend to a whole naming tradition? Happily, I don't think so.  Ethnic prejudice in times of conflict is an unfortunate reality. A name, though, is a lot more than just its ethnic origin, and ethnic identity is a lot more than just a name.

Nadia is a familiar cross-cultural favorite. If you look back in history, names like that haven't been casualties of geopolitical events. During WWI and WWII, as the U.S. fought Germany, American parents continued to choose names like Herman and Frederick. Even the name Fritz, which was used as a slang term for the enemy, managed to hang on. And Nadia itself first took off in America in the midst of the Cold War, thanks to Romanian gymnast Nadia Comăneci.

So my advice is not to overthink this one. All the qualities that make Nadia appeal so much to you should keep it appealing to everyone around you, too.

Comments

May 13, 2014 12:19 PM
By Anya (not verified)

I'm Russian, and I'm telling you, you'll be okay:)
Certainly don't drop a name you love over some stupid actions of a handful of Russian authorities.
Not only your daughter with a Russian name will be fine. My Russian children get only positive reactions to their origins.
Besides, Nadia is not strictly Russian. I know a Mexican lady named Nadia. This name is also pretty popular with Turkish peoples.

May 13, 2014 12:29 PM
By Alexey Feldgendler (not verified)

Note that Nadia is as much an Ukrainian name as it is Russian.

May 13, 2014 12:33 PM
By Jennifer J. (not verified)

I wouldn't think Russian if I met a Nadia. I'd think Romanian, because of the gymnast.

May 13, 2014 3:48 PM
By Keith G (not verified)

Hey, its not Adolf, where the name itself tends to personify evil. I actually like the name Nadia. Would've been so much better than Sofia, which we picked it at the height of its popularity.

May 13, 2014 3:54 PM

Nadia is a beautiful name! It was the name of a character in the TV show "Lost." The character was Middle Eastern, I believe.

May 13, 2014 11:54 PM

Yeah, and it's Arabic too, نديّة which most accurately transliterated Nadiyyah, but frequently written Nadia, like Nadia Ali.

May 15, 2014 3:29 AM
By Friv 3 (not verified)

thank you for always bringing the most useful information to everyone. Friv 10
Friv 2 | Friv 4

May 18, 2014 6:39 PM
By Jordan (not verified)

To know could have much for seeing each way and all to happen this way. - Bernadine Fried

May 28, 2014 11:36 PM
By Divine (not verified)

I LOVE the name Nadia! It is not very common, but heard of. As a matter of fact, if we have another (girl) child her name will be Nadia. And yes like a PP said, it is so much better than Sofia.

May 29, 2014 2:55 PM
By Anony111 (not verified)

Really a super blog :D

May 31, 2014 5:28 AM

Hello, this is an awesome post. Very very good. Keep it up! The best blog post around here is this post. This is literally one of your best works! This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work.hsc result 2014
hsc results 2014
maharashtra hsc result 2014

June 18, 2014 1:28 AM
By Bertad (not verified)

my advice is not to overthink this one. All the qualities that make Nadia appeal so much to you should keep it appealing to everyone around you, too https://www.rebelmouse.com/everydayroots/
zygor guides 3
plantar fasciitis guide

June 20, 2014 4:57 AM
By friv 2 (not verified)

Thank you for for sharing so great thing to us. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post nice post, thanks for sharing.

birds
friv 2

July 10, 2014 2:14 AM

My partner and i implore you to definitely multiply how the unique admittance treatments are typically on account of. webcam

July 12, 2014 11:23 PM
By 338A Sbobet Casino (not verified)

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation t hat's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting.

July 12, 2014 11:41 PM
By 338A Casino (not verified)

Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day!

July 16, 2014 2:24 AM

i love playing the jogos de vestir

July 16, 2014 2:27 AM

jogos de moto are very cool games

July 16, 2014 2:31 AM

jogos de cozinhar are very simple to play

August 21, 2014 11:48 PM
By select4pets.org (not verified)

You can take care of your affectionate pets in modern way with the help of microchips products such as microchips cat flaps, microchip scanner and readers select4pets.org

August 21, 2014 11:48 PM
By fashionismydrug.org (not verified)

When you want to find the best natural pain control for pets, you have to consider the details of your situation before you start giving them whatever herbs you find. fashionismydrug.org

August 21, 2014 11:49 PM
By florenceshopping.org (not verified)

Long before Ballet flats with striking names became objects of desire, chicks have been shoe-crazy. Yes, buying a pair of shoes has always had near-supernatural effects. florenceshopping.org

August 21, 2014 11:49 PM
By thetexaslawyer.org (not verified)

In 2011, the Texas state legislature agreed to specific changes in Texas Family Law that affected the amount and duration limits of an alimony (spousal maintenance) award in a divorce settlement. thetexaslawyer.org

August 21, 2014 11:50 PM
By oreskylaw.org (not verified)

Finding a criminal lawyer can be a daunting experience. There are a lot of criminal lawyers in California. The factors that one should look for in order to find lawyer. oreskylaw.org

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.