How Can This Name Have No Nicknames?

Q: What's a good nickname for Jeremy?

--Stumped

Jeremy is kind of a stumper, isn't it? When you see a long, traditional boy's name, you assume it will trim down neatly. Christopher becomes Chris, Benjamin goes by Ben, Nathaniel shortens to Nate, and so on.

But thats not typically the case with Jeremy. In theory, the name does offer some nickname options. Jem is a potentially fashionable choice; Jerry is a natural but a bit out of style today; Remy is a seldom-heard possibility. A Jeremy could also go by Jay, or add his middle initial and be called J.T. or J.D.

Yet every Jeremy this Name Lady has known has gone by his full name, with occasional quirky, individual nicknames on the side. So if you're looking for a baby name that comes ready-made with a common nickname, you might want to look elsewhere. (On the flip side, if you're searching for a longer, yet still traditional boy's name that won't be shortened automatically, you've got a winner!)

If your heart is set on both Jeremy and a nickname, remember that not every nickname is built into the name. Some emerge over time based on life experiences and personality. If you keep an eye out, you may find that a unique, personal nickname will emerge as your young Jeremy grows into his own unique self.

Comments

July 7, 2014 9:55 AM

Jem. Think they do that in the Diana Gabaldon books ...

July 7, 2014 9:58 AM

In Australia, the nickname for Jeremy is Jez or Jezza, following the standard Australian nick-naming pattern (for example, Marion/Maz, Gavin/Gaz, Murray/Muzza).

July 7, 2014 10:03 AM

The two people I know called Jeremy also go by "Jer", one is and adult (45) the other a child. They aren't in the same family, either.

July 7, 2014 10:11 AM
By Allison (not verified)

Jer works. I like Jem.

My son is James. I can't stand Jim and my hubby can't stand Jamie, so we call him Jay.
My other son is Marshall and we call him Mac.
Nicknames don't have to be built in.

July 7, 2014 10:14 AM
By Kathryn (not verified)

I echo Jem and Jer. I like them both, personally.

July 7, 2014 10:55 AM

The character Jem Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird was a nickname for Jeremy. So that was the first nickname I thought of too.
Remy is actually a super cool idea. I never would have thought of it but I think people would fawn over it when presented with little baby Remy.
Jerry sounds dated to my ear, but if you're trying for something "retro" that might bit your bill.
All excellent options.

July 7, 2014 11:04 AM

My 32 year-old brother's name is Jeremy. We have always called him Jer for short.

July 7, 2014 11:08 AM

I've always heard Jer used. Example: in the vampire diaries the the main character Elena calls her little brother Jer

July 7, 2014 11:14 AM

Most of the Jeremys I know don't use a nickname. I do know one that goes by JJ (his middle name is James).

Another is sometimes called Jer, but I think only his mom really gets away with it. He corrects anyone else who tries to call him that.

July 7, 2014 12:37 PM
By British American (not verified)

My kids have a friend named Jeremiah and they sometimes call him Jerry. It surprised me at first, but it works. :)

July 7, 2014 2:28 PM

I've heard "Jere", as in the first half of Jerry.

July 7, 2014 4:08 PM

My husband's name is Jeremy. When I want to tease him, I call him geranium. My grandfather calls him Jer. But I think he likes the full name best.

July 7, 2014 9:04 PM

We have a friend whose son is a Jeremy and they call him Remy.

July 8, 2014 2:26 AM
By Brooke Cussans (not verified)

Too true!

If Jez isn't your style, Jex would be a very cool option. Traditional longer name with a more modern nickname :)

July 8, 2014 3:02 AM

My friend's husband is 'Jerm' to close friends and family. There are some negative connotations if you think about it, but it doesn't bother him or anyone else who calls him that. It's simply just easier to yell across a room than his full name.

July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
By Ron (not verified)

What you're looking for is a diminutive, or pet form, rather than a true nickname, like Spike or Tiny or Old Iron Guts.

I checked my sources from the UK, where the name is most common; Hanks and Hodges give Jerry and Jem, and Leslie Dunkling offers Jerry for Jeremiah, which is just the original form of Jeremy.

Some other possibilities:

a) Borrow from another J-name, e.g., Jimmy, Joe, Jack, Jay, Jeff. People will understand.

b) Use a generic such as Bud or Sonny

c) If his middle name(s) has a common short form, use that. E.g., Jeremy Thomas, Richard or Henry would be Tom, Dick or Harry. (Politicians love this trick: Willard Mitt Romney, John Calvin Coolidge, Thomas Woodrow Wilson, Stephen Grover Cleveland, etc.)

d) Let the nearest toddler help you. I can imagine he'd turn Jeremy into "Derry", which actually sounds pretty snazzy. Hey, it worked for Tuesday Weld and Totie Fields.

I can think of two "rock star" Jeremys. Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna inherited the Finnish form of the name from his father. And Jeremy Clyde had a bunch of pleasant hits with Chad Stuart in the late '60s.

Everyone over 55 will be asking him, "Hey, Jeremy, where's Chad?", so you might as well just nickname your Jeremy "Chad", and beat them to the punch!

July 8, 2014 1:53 PM
By Jennyg (not verified)

...or Jemmy

July 8, 2014 5:30 PM
By Zella (not verified)

Jeremy is already a shortened form of Jeronymous (Hieronymus).

July 8, 2014 6:05 PM
By Sallyo (not verified)

Jeremy Archer in the Bandinangi Books is known as "the Pest", but as these are told mostly from his brother's perspective this shouldn't be taken as a real comment on his character. Sister Rachel rejoices in the nickname "Sheepface".

July 8, 2014 10:41 PM
By winged (not verified)

Yet another vote in here for Jem (I've loved that ever since To Kill A Mockingbird) and Remy, which I think is a gorgeous name on its own.

Most of the Jeremy's I've known have been called "Jer'" or have had a host of name-unrelated nicknames; that's another thing to consider. A name doesn't HAVE to have a nickname, your kids will get them anyway. My name is one syllable and therefore has very few nicknames directly from it, but people have made ones up by combining it with my last name, rhyming it, doubling it etc.

July 9, 2014 8:25 AM
By Cali (not verified)

Jez or Jem are both common nicknames for Jeremy here in the UK

July 9, 2014 9:18 AM

Sure, but then they're being called something that isn't their name.

July 9, 2014 12:55 PM

My godson is a Jeremy… And we call him Jerms, But since it sounds like "germs" I don't care for it.

July 9, 2014 5:54 PM
By tiktok (not verified)

First initial plus middle initial needn't be sounded out like letters, either - Jeremy B. could easily be Jeb, Jeremy T. could easily be Jet.

July 10, 2014 8:27 AM
By bookworm134 (not verified)

I was also going to mention Vampire Diaries as an example. You can go on YouTube and watch videos from the show where Jeremy is called Jer. They pronounce it J-er, like the first syllable of the full name, Jeremy.

I have to vote for Remy! I love that name. It is the main characters name in Ratatouille though, so if you don't like Pixar you may want to think of something else.

The name Rem is listed as a nickname for Remy on the BabyNameWizard page so maybe that would work for you also.

Parents, sometimes, don't get much say in nicknames unless the child is called it by everyone at the start. My sister has always been Amanda, never Mandy. But I am called C.G., my initials, and always have gone by them. My best friend's name is Elizabeth, and it took me years to call her Liz, cause her mom always called her by the full name. My other friend's last name is Waskevich, so instead of the many nicknames his first name has, everyone just calls him Wask. So I think it is subjective.

July 12, 2014 9:13 AM

Gotta be Jez, cute for little boys & a little edgy and alternative as they grow up!

July 12, 2014 10:08 AM
By Angela (not verified)

I agree about nicknames not always being obvious. My name is Angela, but my nickname is Aiea, because I couldn't say Angela as a kid and took out the consonants (and then spelled it weird... but it's pronounced to rhyme with Maya).

July 15, 2014 4:21 PM
By Christi with an I (not verified)

I'm on the not obvious band wagon. My sister's nickname was Dee and her given name is Anita (my brother couldn't say Anita so he called her Deeda which then got shortened.) my brother David went by Do which was a shortened version of doodlebug, just something mom called him. I know a girl who's nickname is the first two letters of her first name and the first two letters of her middle name. My girl gets called monkey by us as often as her name. If you like the name use it. A nickname will come.

July 15, 2014 5:45 PM

I know two Jeremys. One goes by Jerry and the other by Jeremy. If you like Jeremy just use it and let the nickname evolve naturally. Maybe he won't even want a nickname.

July 15, 2014 6:26 PM

Jem, Jemmy, Jer, Jerry, Remy...I've heard all of these as nicknames for Jeremy.

August 28, 2014 9:12 AM
By karolyn (not verified)

How about "Jamie" as a nickname!

August 30, 2014 5:44 AM

In Australia, Jeremy is usually shortened to Jez or Jezza.