Did Romeo Have a Brother?

My daughter is due with her second baby boy soon. Her first son is named Romeo Louis. Romeo was his daddy's nickname when he was little. At first, not too many people liked the name, but when he was born, he looked every bit his name. It's perfect for him, and now everyone likes it!

My daughter would like to keep up with the same theme, kind of, and has been thinking about Valentino or maybe even Casanova. Most everyone can't stand those names, and she isn't sure of them either. I have suggested Royce, Rhett, and Ryker—going with "R" names. I even like Lorenzo, keeping up with the "O" at the end. Any input, advice, or name suggestions would be much appreciated!

–Romeo's Grandma

You've made some smart suggestions, Grandma. Romeo is a tough act to follow! Steering your daughter toward complimentary names that don't fall into the category of "notorious romantic fictional characters" seems wise. And Romeo has much more familiarity, and usage, as a contemporary first name than Casanova does (according to the U.S. Social Security Administration, it's given to fewer than 10 baby boys a year). Valentino falls in between in terms of usage, but still gives your grandsons names that seem over-matched and gimmicky.

Your suggestion to tie the names together with a matching first or last letter is a sensible one. Lorenzo works for its ending –O and its Italian sound. Similar options include Matteo, Marco, or even Luca (Italian without the O).

Using R- as your starting point gives you more options, and you've hit on a great one in Rhett. Along with both Romeo and Lorenzo, it appears on our survey of sexiest names. While that may not be the quality you're looking for in a name for a baby, you need a name that can stand up to Romeo. Rhett can, while something like Ronald perhaps cannot.

Another "R" name on that list is Remy, and Italian-inspired choices there include Marcelo and Dante. To create an even more subtle connection between the brothers' names, look at names inspired by Shakespeare (since he’s the man who popularized Romeo). How about Malcolm, Sebastian, or Lysander?

As with any themed or coordinating names like these, your daughter should also take into consideration whether she may have any more children. If she does, will she want to continue with the theme she’s started? In other words, will she want Romeo, Valentino, and Casanova (wow); Romeo, Lorenzo, and Marco; or Romeo, Rhett, and Royce? Thinking ahead to the future might help her make a decision today.

Comments

April 28, 2015 10:14 AM

Sebastian is also a character from the Dangerous Liaisons knock off Cruel Intentions. If your daughter is familiar with the movie, the name may have the same kind of tragic/romantic hero feel as Romeo (though perhaps much less obvious to most people).

Other Shakespeare names that I think could work include Angelo, Antonio, Titus & Orlando.

I'll also throw out Tiberius, Lucius, Julian & Blaise.

April 29, 2015 9:37 AM
By Ella Mangrove (not verified)

I am due to have my second baby VERY soon and we are REALLY struggling on both boys BUT especially girls names!

I have a child called Hero - I feel this has unfortunately set a high bench mark for us as it's powerful, unique and strong!

I like the idea of it ending in "O" but it's not essential..

Boys names I've like so far are Rufus, Bruno, Romeo, Angel, Chief

Girls names I am finding impossible... I want something strong yet striking and beautiful...

I Like Tiger/Tyger, Aurelia, Luba and Blu although blue really doesn't go with our surname which is very similar to Berry!!! ;o(

I want to find a name that has the same edge as Hero but without being stupid for the sake of keeping up... It was abit of an explosion when we announced Hero - quite talked about although now its just another normal name to us and our surrounding social group...

Pleaseeee help I'm feeling far too anxious about this.

Many thanks x

April 29, 2015 10:59 AM
By GilaB (not verified)

How about Indigo? It's like Blu, but I think it's both stronger and more dignified. As a bonus, it also ends in -o.
Tiger/Tyger reads as a boy name to me. The other cats (cougar, panther, etc.) risk moving into stripper territory.
Aurelia is a beautiful name, lovely and with the current sensibility without being common.
What appeals to you about Luba? To me, it's quite different than the others, and I'm not sure where to go with it.

Juno - Powerful goddess, ending in -o. Have you looked at mythological names? Your boy names lean somewhat in that direction, but not the girls. Perhaps Athena, Artemis, Leto (mother of Apollo and Artemis), Gaia, Persephone, Selene, Freya, Ostara (origin of the word Easter, Germanic goddess of spring), Ceres, or Minerva?

Alternately, Hero is actually a female character in Shakespeare. (Much Ado About Nothing) Do any of the strong female characters in Shakespeare appeal to you, like Miranda, Portia, Cordelia, or Viola?

April 29, 2015 12:17 PM

I'd also suggest for the Romeo brother Theo, Luca or Vincent.

April 29, 2015 6:44 PM
By Sasha (not verified)

Sage and Clio popped into my head as sisters for Hero.

April 30, 2015 11:41 AM

For a brother to Romeo, how about these?
- Roland
- Hector
- Magnus
- Bastian

You could also widen the theme to Place-Name-Inspired names like Hudson, Kingston, Francisco, Rio,

May 1, 2015 1:13 AM

Romeo: I easily lean toward Marco. Super familiar/recognizable and can hold up on other accounts!

I think there are other forums sponsored through baby name wizard and link is at the top of these pages if you need a good sounding board meant for naming decisions too, but for a sibling for Hero, I Like Portia for a girl. For a boy in this case I would avoid Romeo... seems like a way to pigeonhole your brood. Perhaps inspiration could come from a nn for Hero, Titus creates a theme. Good luck. Make sure it is something of a practical yet special gift for your child to use and carry.

May 1, 2015 1:38 AM

...just thought of another take for Romeo: Sterling. Depending on last name, etc.

May 4, 2015 7:33 PM
By Stefani (not verified)

For Boys:

Fauna
Gypsy
Amira
Asha
Letty
Bohemia

Congratulations and good luck! I hope this helped!