Do Two "Sons" Make Sense for Our New Son?

I've had my heart set on the name Jackson since I was a little girl. Then, lo and behold, I end up marrying a man with the middle name Jackson whose grandfather's first name is Jackson. So not only do I love the name, it is a family name too. My husband also loves the name. The problem is, our last name is Davidson. I didn't even realize it until someone brought it to my attention: Jackson Davidson, both having the –son ending. What do you think?

–Just Love Jackson

I think you can work with a name that has some shared sounds. In fact, an echoed syllable or bit of alliteration is often desirable in a baby name. It gives the two parts of the name a pleasant connection.

Tipping over into an abundance of shared sounds (like Miles Meyers) or a sing-songy pattern (like Colleen Killeen) goes too far. But in your case, the three-syllable surname keeps the name from sounding too repetitive. It doesn't rhyme since Jack and David, the beginnings of the names, are completely different.

Was the original Jackson, your husband's grandfather, a Davidson too? Then you have a precedent for the name! You could even use that Jackson's middle name for your son as well, making him Jackson ___ Davidson II (he would not be a junior since he would not be sharing his father's name, only his great-grandfather’s). That gives the name the extra weight of tradition, without the extra confusion that Juniors often carry.

But it isn't necessary. If the double –son endings really bother your son, he can always go by Jack instead of Jackson. But since you and your partner love the name, and it honors two family members, that carries the most weight of all.

Comments

February 22, 2016 11:20 AM

I think it will be fine. I'll add that most Jacksons I know eventually end up getting shortened to Jack or Jacks by their friends, which will dilute the repeated "son" ending even more.

If people make rude comments (because sometimes they do) a curt "it's a family name" should be all that is needed.

February 22, 2016 2:23 PM

Loving it! I ended up marrying someone whose uncle's name is the same as my maiden surname, so I keep my maiden name in the mix for his sake as well as honoring my dad. I consider it a family name just as much as his surname is now part of my family history.

February 23, 2016 11:57 AM

I also have a last name ending in -Son, and for me, even just names ending in-n are out, so names with the entire -son ending would definitely be out. I think it's a little much personally.

February 23, 2016 11:58 AM

I also have a last name ending in -son, and for me, I feel like any name just ending in an -n are out...so names ending in a -son are completely not an option to me. I think it's just a little much. But that's personal taste. If you didn't even notice it, maybe it's fine for you.

February 24, 2016 12:45 AM

Sorry but in all honesty I think Jackson Davidson (or Anythingson Anythingson) sounds awkward, and if I heard it I would probably assume the parents just went for something trendy without giving any thought to how it sounded with their last name. I think just Jack would make a fine tribute to Jackson.

February 24, 2016 3:15 PM

I don't see the appeal of the name Jackson. John or Jacob, with the nickname Jack, would be better. Or just name him Jack, if you must.

February 24, 2016 3:17 PM

I just remembered that the actress who played Clarissa and Sabrina named her kid "Mason Wilkerson". That's not as bad as Jackson Davidson, but still sounds weird.

February 24, 2016 4:02 PM
By Sabby (not verified)

It doesn't bother me at all. Jackson is a super popular name in my neck of the woods, each of my boys knows several. It sounds like a law firm, but not in a bad way. I say go for it.

February 24, 2016 5:57 PM

I say no. I always wonder what parents were thinking when they name their kid: Phillip Phillips, Richard Richardson... And for me, Jackson Davidson follows in that same category. There might be a reason your husband has Jackson as a middle name.. I'd personally follow that example, but to each his own. :)

February 25, 2016 11:28 AM
By Sasha (not verified)

I think it's fine. Jackson Johnson would be a different story, but with Davidson it's fine. Also, anon 3:15, did you even read the question??

February 28, 2016 4:53 PM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

Ordinarily I *would* avoid the son-son thing, but in this case the advantages of the name definitely outweight the problems.

March 11, 2016 4:46 PM

I think Jackson is more of a "Sun" and Davidson is more of a "son"

I think if you truly love the name just go for it.

June 10, 2016 2:36 AM

Personally, I'd go with John or Jack, but another idea might be alternate spelling of Jaxon which doesn't seem quite as matchy without the -son ending.