Is This Baby Name All Wrong for an All-American Girl?

Does the name Britton, for a girl, make you think of the country of Great Britain? Does it seem like it is just a changing of the spelling of the country? I went to high school with a boy named Britton and I have always loved it for a girl. But I am American and don't have any ties to Great Britain. I wouldn't want the name to be heavily associated with the country.

–Born in the USA

In this case, the name Britton is very different when it's read or written, vs. spoken or heard. On paper, Britton looks like a surname. Aloud, it does sound similar to the country, although you could pronounce it with more of a "ton" sound than "ten" to make a distinction.

Still, there could be an association between Britton and Britain. But there are enough other associations to dilute the strength of this one: shared-sound names Brittany, Britt, Britta, Brett, and Brayden, for example; other -ton ending names, such as Peyton and Ashton; popular surname names, such as Harper, Avery, and Kennedy.

Britton, as a first name, tends to be more common and familiar in the southern United States, too. If that's where you live, more people may think of the name as a given name or a surname (maybe of a friend or an ancestor), and not associate it with the country.

If you are worried about confusion, you may find that more people mishear your daughter's name as "Brittany" (instead of thinking about the United Kingdom). That's par for the course with just about any name, though. Be ready with a cheerful "It’s just Britton, without the y" and you'll be jolly good!

Comments

July 17, 2017 11:32 AM

A Briton (with one t) is a person from Great Britain. So even if you pronounce it with a "ton" ending, it will still have a British connotation.

July 17, 2017 12:12 PM

I agree, it does have a British connotation to me, even if spelled with two Ts. If you love it, I don't think this is a reason not to use it, but probably something to be aware of.

July 18, 2017 6:45 PM
By Danielle (not verified)

There's a Britton (8-yr old boy) in my daughter's class, and while I initially heard it as "Britain," I got used to it quickly and now it just seems like a neat name. I have always imagined it to sound better on a girl, though!

July 19, 2017 1:07 AM

The first commenter stated a fact it appears...

I have had names like that comprise my short list and needless to say I didn't use them all and that's okay. Perspective is two fold, do what you feel but also pick the name as a real gift to your child. (You're making me also think it to be a middle name quite striking.) It's also been mentioned-- check that family tree for authenticity if that's your inclination. It will possibly solidify your choice or help with names. :)

July 20, 2017 2:17 PM

I've known a couple of Brittons and never thought of the country.

July 21, 2017 4:59 PM
By C (not verified)

I've heard of plenty of Londons and no one has a problem with their name. There's something special about a name with a European sound, I've never heard of little foreign-sounding boys and girls being given a hard time for not sounding patriotic enough. This country is a melting pot, the revolution was centuries ago, she'll be fine. And the spelling, Britton, instead of Britain says you're going for the style more, but are still inspired by the elegance of the place. Are you sure it's not part of your heritage? A lazy way to look this up is to get a blood test, then if you find some English heritage you can brag about it, that might give you more confidence to go ahead with it.

July 24, 2017 9:45 AM
By Anon (not verified)

When parents use location names, they're often places they have no personal ties to, because that allows the place name to feel detached enough from the place to feel appropriate for a person. I cannot imagine a Parisian naming a child Paris nor a Londoner using London. Britton feels plenty name-like and has enough similar-sounding female names to feel like an appropriate girl's name in the US.

October 18, 2017 3:01 PM
By AlysonKeo (not verified)