Is This Baby Name Too Shady?

Hello! I love the name Grey for a boy. My husband's first name is Christian (which I love) and I love them together. I don't think Grey Christian sounds right, but after the books and movies do you think Christian Grey is a problem? I love the name, don't really care about the books.

–But Grey Is Great!

Pop culture associations often fade over time, but this one is 50 shades of problematic. You didn't even need to name the books and movies that concern you, because the connection is obvious (and uncomfortable).

Christian Grey (same spelling) is the title character of the book-turned-movie 50 Shades of Grey, which, along with its two sequels, is infamous for its sexual content and themes of bonding and dominance. So when people make the connection between the name and the book or movie, they won't just think "Oh, were your parents big Twilight/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings fans?" They’'l think "Oh, do your mommy and daddy have a dungeon?"

Ick. You just can't do that, in my opinion. So Christian Grey is out, unless you never tell anyone his middle name, and what's the point of that? Given that you don't like Grey Christian (it sounds like an adjective describing a noun, anyway), it's time to move on. You can have Grey, or Christian, but not both; perhaps for this baby, you'll need to decide which one you like the most, and save the other for next time.

If you love Grey, why not pair it with a different middle? Or, choose Christian after your husband, but use a middle name that honors you or someone in your family. It's unfortunate that a book character has to torpedo your baby name dreams, but this particular one could be a nightmare for your son.

Comments

September 11, 2017 10:17 AM
By Jenny (not verified)

Suggestions: Graham, Owen, Griffin, Finley, Zephyr, Wolf, Winter, and Gabriel.

September 11, 2017 11:47 AM

I personally wouldn't do it because of the awful writing, not the subject matter.

If you both love Grey, I recommend going with that and choosing another middle name (husbands's middle, another family member, etc).

September 11, 2017 3:46 PM

No, I wouldn't do Christian Grey or Grey Christian. If for some reason (god forbid) 50 Shades manages to stick around, can you imagine the teasing he will get? Or the teasing you'll get when you announce the name? Yuck.

I think Grey would be lovely, and will 2nd the suggestion of finding a family name from your side. Or perhaps you could use your husband's middle instead?

September 11, 2017 5:42 PM

Axel Rose a few weeks ago and now Christian Grey? How does the Name Lady not realize she's being trolled??

September 12, 2017 4:53 PM
By Sasha (not verified)

I doubt that. People come up with crazy stuff all the time. Just look at the SSA list of real names babies have!

September 13, 2017 1:27 AM

I'd venture to say, if you're asking, I think you know the answer. No. I'm sure somebody has that name, but they're probably older and if there's a window of time where a name is used it will just be so much more apparent for people to assign it without even thinking about it. Honest. So I'm glad you're willi to look at family names, explore those branches on both sides if you like. (Others that seem to be in the same camp to me: Dane, Miles, and Grant.)

September 14, 2017 10:00 PM

Sounds like you prefer Christian Grey to Grey Christian. Any combination of those two isn't good. Even without the books, it sounds odd--like some kind of rebellious Christian, like naming your child Angel and then adding a name with a darker meaning. So just work with Christian and think about what you love about Grey and then work with alternatives. You'll rarely say the middle name anyway, so pick what you want for the first, the middle name is a garnish.

October 6, 2017 12:43 AM

What about Greyson instead of Grey? Christian Greyson kind of separates a bit from the "50 Shades" feeling.