The Case of the Mispronounced Brandon

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian takes on baby naming?  As unlikely as that may seem, the movie whose focus is on museum exhibits coming to life also takes a jab at the realities of creative baby naming.  While parents struggle to give their baby a name that has meaning or is different from the masses, this movie shows what can go wrong if you don't think that name through.  In a hilarious scene involving Ben Stiller's character, Larry, and Jonah Hill's character, Brandon, the two fight over the pronunciation of Brandon's name.  Larry insists the name is pronounced "Brandon", which is the name on Brandon's nametag.  Brandon, however, insists it is pronounced "Brundon."  Brandon then tells Larry to go look up the name on the most popular name list for 1984!  Larry doesn't look it up, but we did.  "Brandon" was ranked 15 in 1984 according to the Social Security Administration.

So this got us thinking, what other names have similar pronunciation pitfalls?  The "a" in a name can cause problems.  Consider Anna, which can be pronounced "Anna" or "Ahna", and Sara, which can be pronounced "Sara" or "Sahra."  Do you have a name that makes you cringe when people mispronounce it?  Let us know!

--K.S.

Tagged: Anna, Brandon, Sara

Comments

January 11, 2010 12:32 AM
By Jorge (not verified)

Myha as in Mya or Maya but some people think it is My-Ha as in HA...HA..

January 29, 2010 7:29 PM
By David (not verified)

My name is David but a 3 year old called me Gay-vid last night! Ha ha.

February 11, 2010 2:47 AM

My name is Kami (ka-me),it is super easy to say and some stupid lady pronounced it like amy grrr.

February 17, 2010 4:52 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

People say 'Kirsten' or even 'Christian' instead of 'Kristin' or 'Kristen'

March 10, 2010 7:11 PM
By Jenna (not verified)

A lot of people pronounce my name Gena or Jana, is it really that hard to say Jen-na?

July 10, 2010 5:58 PM
By Ginny (not verified)

Ok, My name is Virginia, but my family calls me Ginny. The problem is no one in the northern states seems to be able to say Ginny they say Jennny
It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!

December 7, 2011 6:42 PM
By Farrah (not verified)

My name is Farrah and most people try to spell it with an "e" or an "i" or both. They try to spell it like so, "Ferrah", "Feirreh", "Farah" and so on. It really does get nerve racking but I am quick to replie to them that it is said and spelt exactly the same way that Farrah Faucet had her name, now if i could get them to stop calling me miss Faucet then I will be happy.

April 3, 2015 8:10 PM

You won't think my name would be mispronounced but it does- Dixie sometimes people pronounce it by dropping the end of thinking ie sounds y but it is Dixie (strong e sound)!

March 2, 2016 10:39 AM

My daughters name is Mattison. People pronounce it with the D sound instead of T's.

January 5, 2018 7:06 PM